Can Thailand become a digital nomad hub?

Jonathan Fairfield

Can become a digital nomad hub. Yes.

But not the way they are currently imagining it!

However if the goal would shift to have ppl staying longer term and spend money to local economy, rent, eat, travel around in free time... with reasonable requirements, that would work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Condo ownership by foreigners is legal!

Yes, as mentioned, hence it's already an informal favourite of nomads.   Of course the 'digital nomad' is a broad spectrum in itself from white hats to the less savoury.    

43 minutes ago, RmcaIssan said:

The education standards and command of English and other languages falls well short to demonstrate capability to be a global player ..

Good point but I suspect she's meaning revenue opportunities for young foreigners, not Thais. 

2 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

As one of these mythical remote workers that keeps getting discussed, I've been totally fine just renting. But the option to buy is always nice of course, since optionality does have value.

What I'd most like to have is a more convenient visa that offers an elegant multi-entry and long-stay solution with minimal hassle. Would also like to be able to open a local bank account and apply for local financial products.

While not subject to the local visa and bank account hurdles myself, IMO a place loses its 'charm' if anyone could just set up shop there (and true nomads will of course find a way anyway).  ???? 

51 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

but that needs practical action by the public sector.

And herein lies the problem. What the public sector mostly offers is IMpractical action, manifested by convoluted visa and work permit rules that change more often than the seasons, unrealistic financial requirements, restrictive company ownership laws for  most foreigners (except Americans, who can take advantage of the Vietnam War-era "Amity Treaty"), etc. etc..

Take a glance at the digital nomads scheme that they recently formulated and realize the ridiculous preconditions they've set up, including income (from abroad!) requirements and fancy university degrees. Then compare these rules to those of other countries (Portugal, Malta, Cambodia, Vietnam, Jamaica, Ecuador, Lithuania, Estonia, and so on and so forth) that make it incredibly easy for digital nomads to live and work there.

I wonder how much Lynn Howard got paid for waxing on so enthusiastically. Well, perhaps she needed the additional income... 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

As far as internet goes<  I was paying 640 baht ( @$20) for AIS fiber in Phuket 200 mbs up and down>
I am now in Kep cambodia paying $16 for 18 mbs up and down and its JUST AS FAST as i was getting in Phuket as nobody uses fiber, only their phones>

Easy 1 year visas<  Up to 8% interest on fixed bank accounts

Downside is outside of PP; availability of goods is way below Thailand, Medical outside of PP sucks, accommodations are nowhere near the value, street food sucks, cost are appx 20% higher for most things

But it is an option for those that cant afford or qualify for the "digital nomad visa" in Thailand

Cambodia has been the recycle bin for Thailand's unwanted for 20+ years now.

Lovely place, but has it's limitations as you rightly state.

I would probably have spent longer periods there, but have businesses in Thailand that still require my full attention so limit myself to the occasional trip over. I've been over 100 times in 21 years.