Search for stray tiger in Thailand’s Kamphaeng Phet province continues

Jonathan Fairfield

F80E054A-2FA3-4452-B1C3-56A9E15D363C.jpeg

Wildlife officials have been trying, albeit unsuccessfully, to track down a four-year old tiger, named Vichit, which strayed out of its habitat in Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary five days ago.

Thawatchai Petburanin, chief of the 12th Conservation Area Administrative Office, said today (Saturday) that he is relieved that the big cat has not been hurt by a car as rumoured, adding that, from the signals emitted from the electronic tag contained in the tiger’s collar, the animal is still wandering around Khao Nam Oon in Pang Silathong district of Kamphaeng Phet, which is adjacent to Mae Wong national park.

He admitted that he cannot say how long it will take for Vichit to return to its home ground or to be caught.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/search-for-stray-tiger-in-thailands-kamphaeng-phet-province-continues/

Logo-top-.png

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

"Here kitty, kitty!!" (Brucie fans of a certain age would understand).

Meanwhile it's great he has a tracker. If he's finally taken home I just hope the government doesn't use the success to revive the idea that's what's good for wildlife is good for even lower forms of life (foreigners).

They can find all the Africans in a few days requiring testing for Omicron but this over-sized kitty wandering around with an electronic tag remains elusive?

• Haha 1

What I find puzzling is that the media are referring to it as a Bengal Tiger. As far as I could ascertain, this is not the actual sub-species of Tiger that lives in Huai Kha Khaeng, that would be  the Indochinese tiger. (Corbetti?)

I'm guessing this is a media inaccuracy or is this particular animal escaped from captivity.? 

Edited by Thunglom

tracking device or not, Tigers are incredibly elusive.

Even rangers at Huai Kha Khaeng ca go for years and never actually see a tiger...they use camera traps and scat as evidence.

This animal has obviously been caught at some point  (how where and when did that happen?) - but even with a teaching device it will be hard to locate and then capturing is a whole new problem.

Edited by Thunglom