'Do your own research / I do my own research' has become code for conspiracy theory followers

Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Ivermectin  was proven not to work.  And actually hurt many as they tried to dose themselves.  Sometimes with the drug meant for horses!  Not very smart people...and they deserved to be ridiculed.

This drug was pushed by the fake news media guy Joe Rogan.  Sad so many fall for his lies and conspiracy theories.

This is really not true and totally false.  Example of such statement why so many people lose their trust in MSM. 

It's not for horses, it's for humans approved by FDA, proven by many scientific studies checked by piers, proven by the results where administered for over 30 years. 

And the vehement propaganda against, also some serious impacts for the ones who recommend it, it fuels some second thoughts...    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, GrandPapillon said:

can you safely said that Bill Gates is not the devil work? ????

do you have insider information we don't? ????

you don't know period, so both statements are empty. The correct answer is "I don't know if Bill Gates is the devil or not"

Yes. I can safely say Bill Gates is not the “devil’s seed” and that he is not implanting chips in us through vaccines. If I believed otherwise, you could safely say I was completely deranged. It does not require “insider information” to know these things. It simply requires basic sanity.

If you are trying to argue that there is no such thing as objective reality then have at it, but it will not lead to any achievements in what most of us consider the real world. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 3:09 AM, Jingthing said:

Actually they aren't equivalent sides at all!

If a Person A says Bill Gates in the devil's seed and wants to implant tracking chips in vaccines, any half way rational person knows that is total garbage!

You haven’t made clear what Person B uses for his sources.  Please clarify. 

On 12/5/2021 at 7:00 PM, LarrySR said:

A religious upbringing often sets one up for a lifetime of gullibility. They don't believe in science, education, logic or facts.

I met a young fellow recently (American) and he thinks the earth is 6,000 years old. He informed me that Noah brought dinosaurs onto the Ark....

Simpletons like him dwell in an alternative reality & are a prime target to be exploited by scammers, conspiracy peddlers, politicians that manipulate them with political advantageous hate, behavioral science marketing and weaponized religious intolerance, bigotry & xenophobia.

He "does his research" by watching Info Wars, Fox News and insists Donald Trump is a faithful, honest good Christian man that cares about the average American.

The mind boggles.

There is always some idiot who feels the need to bring in their political agenda. Vary sad!!

41 minutes ago, Saanim said:

This is really not true and totally false.  Example of such statement why so many people lose their trust in MSM. 

It's not for horses, it's for humans approved by FDA, proven by many scientific studies checked by piers, proven by the results where administered for over 30 years. 

And the vehement propaganda against, also some serious impacts for the ones who recommend it, it fuels some second thoughts...    

"This is really not true and totally false.  Example of such statement why so many people lose their trust in MSM. 

It's not for horses, it's for humans approved by FDA, proven by many scientific studies checked by piers, proven by the results where administered for over 30 years."

Yes, but not for treating Covid but for intestinal worms. Capeesh??

"Ivermectin tablets are approved by the FDA to treat people with intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis, two conditions caused by parasitic worms. In addition, some topical forms of ivermectin are approved to treat external parasites like head lice and for skin conditions such as rosacea."

Why You Should Not Use Ivermectin to Treat or Prevent COVID-19

"And the vehement propaganda against, also some serious impacts for the ones who recommend it, it fuels some second thoughts..."

Do tell.....:coffee1:

Edited by Phoenix Rising

On 12/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, Atlantis said:

If I may....where did you "hear" this claim today? What was the source that you used? Or can I say "studied / researched from." I think those pesky free-thinkers who have viewed unedited footage of Joe Rogan may come to the inconvenient conclusion that -- according to their very own lying eyes -- CNN is lucky not to get sued by JR....but anyway, I digress. What was the topic again?

As usual, JT spouting biased rubbish to support his one-sided arguments. A conspiracy theory of his own fabrication!

99.99% of South Africans have never heard of Joe Rogan, nor his views on vaxing.

There are countless reasons why vaccine uptake has been relatively slow in South Africa, not least that the government believed a EU-propagated "orthodoxy" that the Astra Zeneca vaccine was of dubious efficacy, with dangerous side-effects.

For reasons best known to itself, the South Africa government decided that AZ vaccines could not be used in the country, because they were dangerous and harmful to the population.  Nevertheless, on-sold them to the African Union! If there is any logic here, I have not yet fathomed it!

For several months after the onset of the covid pandemic, the South Africa government bumbled and stumbled along, ascribing every other possible reason to its inaction, which led to much of the vaccine-hesitancy prevalent today. Countless millions of citizens live in the "bush", unsophisticated and unaware of what the pandemic truly means to them, despite having access to modern media.

Government probably took its point of view from the actions (inaction) of predecessor President Mbeki, who did very little to eradicate HIV/AIDS and supported the "science" of his Health Minister that the cure lay in onions, garlic and the African potato. Thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands, died!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I did the research while in the loo and found that the ASEAN Now fora are part of a communist conspiracy to ensure we accept all opinions equally.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean the bastards aren't out to get me!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

You say you look at history, and be educated?  Then you must know that the word “conspiracy” does not mean “not true” . 
You must know that the definition of the word “conspiracy” is,

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
  2. A group of conspirators.
  3. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.   Are you claiming those things do not exist?  Are you saying there are no such things as conspiracies?   I really don’t think you have actually studied history. 

OK but conspiracies are often evoked in order to prove something which is not true, I.e. it cannot be proven that kids are being raped in the basement of a pizzeria because politicians, media and Soros are conspiring to hide it.

Edited by candide

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

You say you look at history, and be educated?  Then you must know that the word “conspiracy” does not mean “not true” . 
You must know that the definition of the word “conspiracy” is,

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
  2. A group of conspirators.
  3. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.   Are you claiming those things do not exist?  Are you saying there are no such things as conspiracies?   I really don’t think you have actually studied history. 

Never on the scale posited by the modern day theorists. Not even close to that scale. Whether it's covid vaccine conspiracies, climate change conspiracies, or election fraud conspiracies, all would necessarily involve thousands and thousands of people. At least.

2 hours ago, LarrySR said:

An overwhelming majority of the recent Covid deaths in the USA are concentrated among the unvaccinated in the red states. 
Funny. 

That's the 'new Darwinism'! Survival of the fittest according to political beliefs! ????

• Thanks 1

Jing jing, Jingthing! The FLERFS (flat-earthers) say this all the time. They deny and disregard every credible source...scientists, universities, NASA and all other Space Agencies public and private and instead go with nonsense vids from ignorant nobodies. :post-4641-1156693976:

Some really entertaining debates pitting all sorts of these nut jobs against some really great debaters can be found at "Modern Day Debate" on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook. :cheesy:

I think this is more applicable to the later generation. Those of us that are well into the 'OAP' bracket will have the benefit of situations before the electronic net age set in. Also we had the opportunity to have associates or build friendships with learned people and/or institutions. Today's generation has to deal with all sorts 'mind muddling' interventions.

Psychologists agree that people with lower levels of education tend to be drawn to conspiracy theories. 

Conspiracy nuts are unable to differentiate between good sources and bad sources or credible sources and non-credible sources. 

They're looking for knowledge but do not necessarily have the IQ to be looking in the right places.

Often the conspiracy nuts have a low self esteem and are berated by friends or family.

They like to feel good about themselves and they will believe they have access to information that other people don't necessarily have, convincing themselves that everybody else is some kind of sheep. They are in possession of information that other people don't have and gives them a feeling of superiority over others.

Hence, these undereducated people are natural prey, easily manipulated targets for con men, scammers and  sitting ducks for right wing propaganda media. 

In 2016, they discovered a cult leader that isn’t stupid but he has a deep understanding of what the stupid people want to hear. 

Edited by LarrySR
  • Thanks 1

I rather like that meme where a guy at his computer is calling out 'Honey, I've just discovered on the internet what all the experts and scientists don't know about!' 

I have a 'do you own research' friend just like that, and there's no arguing with her. 

She encouraged me to open up a Signal account so she could send   'some useful research' presumably in a way that was safe from prying eyes – Bill Gates, anyone?

I fact checked the first two items she sent me and they were both ludicrous. 

When I told her I couldn't verify what she had sent and when I in fact sent her a copy of the 'Honey, I just just discovered on the internet' meme, she didn't want to talk about it any more and said that the meme made her sound stupid. Well yeah, maybe so. I closed my Signal account, and we skirt all Covid related topics now. 

A whole lot better than arguing the point. 

13 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I've only got one question.

If these vaccines are working, why aren't they working?

What We Know about How Well COVID-19 Vaccines Are Working

COVID-19 vaccination reduces the risk of COVID-19 and its potentially severe complications. All COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for use in the United States helped protect adults and children 5 years and older against COVID-19, including severe illness, in clinical trial settings. So far, studies that have looked at how COVID-19 vaccines work in real-world conditions (vaccine effectiveness studies) have shown that these vaccines are working well.

Most vaccine effectiveness data now available are related to mRNA vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) because these vaccines have been available longer. CDC and other experts continue to study the effectiveness of both mRNA vaccines and the Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (J&J/Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine in real-world conditions.

So Far, Research on mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness in Real-World Conditions Is Reassuring

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/work.html

33 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Psychologists agree that people with lower levels of education tend to be drawn to conspiracy theories. 

Conspiracy nuts are unable to differentiate between good sources and bad sources or credible sources and non-credible sources. 

They're looking for knowledge but do not necessarily have the IQ to be looking in the right places.

Often the conspiracy nuts have a low self esteem and are berated by friends or family.

They like to feel good about themselves and they will believe they have access to information that other people don't necessarily have, convincing themselves that everybody else is some kind of sheep. They are in possession of information that other people don't have and gives them a feeling of superiority over others.

Hence, these undereducated people are natural prey, easily manipulated targets for con men, scammers and  sitting ducks for right wing propaganda media. 

In 2016, they discovered a cult leader that isn’t stupid but he has a deep understanding of what the stupid people want to hear. 

Yes there is a correlation between education and susceptibility to conspiracy theories. High school educated who believe in at least one conspiracy theory are double the rate of the college educated.

Evidently the uneducated (and under paid) feel disenchanted in their lot. They try to blame unknown and mysterious forces as the cause of their situation.

It is not by coincidence that those marginalized and unfulfilled by "the system" are also the same demographic as Trump supporters.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Yes there is a correlation between education and susceptibility to conspiracy theories. High school educated who believe in at least one conspiracy theory are double the rate of the college educated.

Evidently the uneducated (and under paid) feel disenchanted in their lot. They try to blame unknown and mysterious forces as the cause of their situation.

It is not by coincidence that those marginalized and unfulfilled by "the system" are also the same demographic as Trump supporters.

The other group which cuts across both the high school and the college educated are those who need to be "special".

Everyone likes to feel special, we are fed this with mother's milk.

Some get this feeling from family friends or maybe work. 

Youth get the feeling in rebellion from the norm with weird hair styles clothes etc.

Others get it from conspiracy theories and the camaraderie and uniqueness of being part of some "special" group who know more than the thousands of the best educated and respected scientists of the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, xylophone said:

What We Know about How Well COVID-19 Vaccines Are Working

COVID-19 vaccination reduces the risk of COVID-19 and its potentially severe complications. All COVID-19 vaccines currently authorized for use in the United States helped protect adults and children 5 years and older against COVID-19, including severe illness, in clinical trial settings. So far, studies that have looked at how COVID-19 vaccines work in real-world conditions (vaccine effectiveness studies) have shown that these vaccines are working well.

Most vaccine effectiveness data now available are related to mRNA vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna) because these vaccines have been available longer. CDC and other experts continue to study the effectiveness of both mRNA vaccines and the Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (J&J/Janssen) COVID-19 vaccine in real-world conditions.

So Far, Research on mRNA COVID-19 Vaccine Effectiveness in Real-World Conditions Is Reassuring

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/work.html

Fair enough in US, but UK death rate is higher among the vaxed than the unvaxed,

a puzzling and somewhat ignored problem.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Not wanting to die of a heart attack after getting a vaccination , seems quite a reasonable reason for not wanting the vaccination, to me .

I don't consider that to be "crazy" 

You seem so very bad at evaluating risk that it appears to be on purpose.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And yet many of those arguing in favour of (mandatory) vaccination for everyone on this forum don't appear to have finished high school.

Who is arguing in favour of mandatory vaccination and who hasn't finished high school? Just asking!

1 hour ago, LarrySR said:

When I was a working guy, everyone in the building had a degree, apart from the security guards and cleaners.

And nearly everyone believed in a 'conspiracy theory' of some kind.

Sometimes we were even the people running the conspiracy.

And we all had IQs higher than 120.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

When I was a working guy, everyone was required to have a degree, apart from the security guards.

And nearly everyone believed in a 'conspiracy theory' of some kind.

Sometimes we were even the people running the conspiracy.

And we all had IQs higher than 120.

Obviously you are part of the other group who need to feel "special".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1