Thai Higher-ups Want To Cull Out Undesirables -

The wife and I have been living in Thailand on a retirement visa for 4 years and have had no problems . I think the ones leaving are the ones sitting on a bar stool talking about whats wrong and then agreeing with each other rather than finding out what is really legal or not. Have a Great Thai day

This is probably the wisest post on this entire thread, a thread, incidentally, riddled with hearsay and inaccuracies presented as facts.

Example, first we hear of a new requirement for businesses to make 1 million baht, then the poster amends it to 1m capital.

On another thread, we hear about the end of the tourist visa, then it appears his heavily tattooed mate has been turned down for a fourth successive tourist visa when it's blatantly obvious he's living here and is NOT a tourist.

On this thread a teacher earning 20,000 a month and his nurse wife earning 18,000 are presented as victims because they don't meet the 40,000 marriage visa income requirement, blatantly ignoring the fact that teachers are exempt from the minimum wage requirement to renew work permits.

It's really not that hard to work how legal ways to stay and to contribute to this country we all profess to love, if that is what we want to do.

In other words, those forced to leave ARE the undesirables or else those too lazy to study the rules and get the correct visa. Kinda sounds like Immigration may not be so dumb after all......... :o

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blues, I think you and Bendix should get a room together and bask in each other's glory over other people's visa hardships. You guys have your visa situations sorted (for now) and you both have zero compassion for anyone elses situation. My situation is sorted but I choose to listen to people and find out what their problems are and help with suggestions if I can. Why dont you guys try and do this? What's going to happen if the US embassy discontinues rubber stamping your income statement Mr Blues? Will you be looking for alternative solutions to sorting your visa situation at that time? Will you be happy when posters tell u I told ya so? Lighten up you 2. The way I see it, you just love smearing salt in peoples wounds. Not a nice way to go thru life. I always felt that this forum was here to try and help people find solutions to their visa problems; I'm having difficulty figuring out where you guys fit into that.

Edited by Fred Sanford

*shakes head in disbelief*

Are you seriously suggesting that this supposed tightening of visa laws is driven by jealousy that farangs are stealing Thailand's girls? Please tell me that's NOT your theory.

Im not sure how you got plan Jealousy out of what I said but the answer is NO.

I was on about Culture and the impact of foriengers can throw this off balance.

LOL ... a bit daft that!

Makes you wonder how many of Thailand's policy maker's daughters Arty knows? :o

Not sure were you are coming from slick but you dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out how proud the thais are of there heritage.

Not too long ago they had changing the name of Thailand to Siam on there agenda..... ever thought about the reason why?

"Ridiculous. Thais are not jealous of their girls (actually the boyfriend or brother of sex workers is often their pimp). They simply cannot stand farangs to walk on their holy soil.

They can hardly tolerate tourists if they stay no more than two weeks and spend at least 5,000 baht /day. And if they send money from abroad without bothering to show up at the border, that's even better (yet Dr.Tarisa is annoyed by the fact such foreign remittances push up the baht, hurting exports) "

Geez mate not that hard to work out what circle you are running around in.

Whats wrong with you guys? I through in a bit of food for thought and you start judging it with the thoughts of the simple minded.

Edited by Artfullmover

Blues, I think you and Bendix should get a room together and bask in each other's glory over other people's visa hardships. You guys have your visa situations sorted (for now) and you both have zero compassion for anyone elses situation. My situation is sorted but I choose to listen to people and find out what their problems are and help with suggestions if I can. Why dont you guys try and do this? What's going to happen if the US embassy discontinues rubber stamping your income statement Mr Blues? Will you be looking for alternative solutions to sorting your visa situation at that time? Will you be happy when posters tell u I told ya so? Lighten up you 2. The way I see it, you just love smearing salt in peoples wounds. Not a nice way to go thru life. I always felt that this forum was here to try and help people find solutions to their visa problems; I'm having difficulty figuring out where you guys fit into that.

No one is "basking" over anyone's hardship. What is being said is: quit whining, quit believing what Joe Barstool says, get off yer arse and learn the rules that apply to your particular situation. This is the solution to someone's visa problem. Guess what, it isn't that hard but it does require time and thought. Whining from a barstool or on an internet forum doesn't cut it.

Most, not all, of the people who whine the loudest have been illegal for ages; now it's biting them in the butt. If you live here full-time YOU ARE NOT A TOURIST.

I was denied my first attempt at the retirement visa. Instead of whining about "how unfair it is" I figured a different route and was successful. I guess I could have gone on a bender and then posted here about how unfair the visa rules are; that really would have been productive.

I understand that Thai politicos want to cull out farang 'undesirables'...

Personally, based on my admittedly limited insight into the way the Thai government operates, I believe it is not so much the politicians, ie the government in a narrow sense (cabinet members, ministers, deputy ministers), but the bureaucratic apparatus, ie the administration, that deserves credit for visa policies and the rules for extension of stay.

The bureaucratic apparatus keeps growing over time and the ever-increasing number of higher level officials, desirous to justify their existence, play at modifying old rules and creating new ones. These officials, ie in the present case the officials of the Royal Thai Police or, in a narrower sense of the Immigration Bureau, are not the ones who will have to implement these rules at the entry points, and for this reason the rules are not always very practical. The rule of maximum 90 visa-exempt days within six months is a good example, and some of the extension rules could also have been written more clearly.

--

Maestro

Samran

I regard you as a knowlegable person, witch I tend to agree with most of the time. but this time time I regard your coomment as utterly crap, just to not make any misunderstandings, I'm here on a one year visa (non O on the strenght of being married) and I make 4 times the minimum required to qualify for a one year ext. Still I have problems getting my visa, they will give it to me in the end, but I have to jump to all sorts of hoops to make it happen. So saying that as long as you have the right documentatation, you would be fine, is at least an understatement, or you not beeing knowlegdeble of the current situation.

But each to their own I guess

I understand that Thai politicos want to cull out farang 'undesirables'...

Personally, based on my admittedly limited insight into the way the Thai government operates, I believe it is not so much the politicians, ie the government in a narrow sense (cabinet members, ministers, deputy ministers), but the bureaucratic apparatus, ie the administration, that deserves credit for visa policies and the rules for extension of stay.

The bureaucratic apparatus keeps growing over time and the ever-increasing number of higher level officials, desirous to justify their existence, play at modifying old rules and creating new ones. These officials, ie in the present case the officials of the Royal Thai Police or, in a narrower sense of the Immigration Bureau, are not the ones who will have to implement these rules at the entry points, and for this reason the rules are not always very practical. The rule of maximum 90 visa-exempt days within six months is a good example, and some of the extension rules could also have been written more clearly.

--

Maestro

Samran

I regard you as a knowlegable person, witch I tend to agree with most of the time. but this time time I regard your coomment as utterly crap, just to not make any misunderstandings, I'm here on a one year visa (non O on the strenght of being married) and I make 4 times the minimum required to qualify for a one year ext. Still I have problems getting my visa, they will give it to me in the end, but I have to jump to all sorts of hoops to make it happen. So saying that as long as you have the right documentatation, you would be fine, is at least an understatement, or you not beeing knowlegdeble of the current situation.

But each to their own I guess

wasn't me morty.... you need to talk to Maestro :o

Having said that, I've applied for a number of things here in Thailand, being a Thai national. ID cards, house registrations...the works. Getting it in the end is the right way to look at things, as things here always take time. For me it is water off a ducks back to be honest. And...I have to do my wifes non-immigrant extension (admittedly easier, the paperwork is a bore).

Having said that, having lived in the UK - as a migrant - and I'll tell you this...the UK is a pain in the @rse, plus being expensive. Exending my migrant visa there in 2005 took and entire manila folder of evidence to be sent to some place up north for 2 months for consideration. Plus a 315 quid processing fee. Being legal is never easy, or cheap.

So don't think you are alone in this. It is a world wide thing.

LOL ... a bit daft that!

Not sure were you are coming from slick but you dont need to be a rocket scientist to work out how proud the thais are of there heritage.

Not too long ago they had changing the name of Thailand to Siam on there agenda..... ever thought about the reason why?

So the answer to the question ... How many daughters of policy-makers do you know? is actually ZERO right? :D

LOL ... a bit daft that!

So the answer to the question ... How many daughters of policy-makers do you know? is actually ZERO right? :D

why is knowing their daughters important? It is their parents, usually their dads that you need to know.

No one is "basking" over anyone's hardship. What is being said is: quit whining, quit believing what Joe Barstool says, get off yer arse and learn the rules that apply to your particular situation. This is the solution to someone's visa problem. Guess what, it isn't that hard but it does require time and thought. Whining from a barstool or on an internet forum doesn't cut it.

Most, not all, of the people who whine the loudest have been illegal for ages; now it's biting them in the butt. If you live here full-time YOU ARE NOT A TOURIST.

I was denied my first attempt at the retirement visa. Instead of whining about "how unfair it is" I figured a different route and was successful. I guess I could have gone on a bender and then posted here about how unfair the visa rules are; that really would have been productive.

Why do members such as you and Bendix continue to read and post in this room? You have your visas sorted, so why waste your time coming into this room and stirring the pot? Your input serves no purpose other than to annoy other members who are trying to get a handle on the current visa situation.

Why do members such as you and Bendix continue to read and post in this room? You have your visas sorted, so why waste your time coming into this room and stirring the pot? Your input serves no purpose other than to annoy other members who are trying to get a handle on the current visa situation.

I think they just enjoy telling or making people to think like they think how things should be.Ofcourse they have there right to say anything they want.But people who disagree also,and most of the time not get pissed off when people disagree with that.Everybody stays in a different situation and 'us people'coming from the west should understand a democratic way of discussing.And with demoscratic way I mean fairness,even when having different views.That is not the problem,the problem is wanting to be right,but where in every discussion there have to be a middle way.That middle way should be understanding accepting and be moderate,easy like that.

LOL ... a bit daft that!

Not sure why you feel to need to know the answer to that one. I did not claim to a horder of the policy makers daughters.

You having any dificulties with you visa applications? Just maybe there could be a reason behind that as well.

What's going to happen if the US embassy discontinues rubber stamping your income statement Mr Blues? Will you be looking for alternative solutions to sorting your visa situation at that time? Will you be happy when posters tell u I told ya so?

my two Satang: if somebody meets the requirement of "65,000 Baht income per month" then he/she can most probably manage to show once a year the mandatory 800,000 Baht on his bank account. the worst case scenario is that he has to take a one time loan from his bank which he can pay back over a certain period of time. paying interest on this loan is less hassle than all other half-assed efforts (be they legal or illegal) to stay in Thailand.

Read the OP. This has nothing to do with the fact my visa is sorted out. I disagree with the OP premise and have stated so. IMO VERY FEW people are being "forced" to leave; rather they have been here on an illegal basis or they are too lazy to do the work required to get a proper visa. The OP wants to blame Immigration. Someone says, "they don't want us (farangs) here" and the usual suspects chant in "yes, yes, yes, we're not welcome".

Almost everything in Thailand is screwy from a Western point of view; including Immigration policy. But that's the way things are here and it won't change. So deal with it, whining solves nothing. If the weight of dealing with Immigration becomes greater than the enjoyment of living here perhaps it's time to move on.

slightly off topic but here's an example of the type of farang that does not belong here IMHO:

I bumped into a guy from the states a while back. After the usual chit-chat (where you from, etc.) he starts railing against the local cops. He says, "I never stop when I'm on my motorcycle and they wave me over". Why I ask? Because I don't have a motorcycle license. Oh, how long have you lived here I say? Eight years was his reply. I softly say, "well I've some shopping to do.....see you later".......and I drift away.......

This past Friday the Embassy did rubber-stamp my income statement :D Good for me.

To answer your question. If the US Embassy starts making me "prove" my income (like the UK does) I will do the work necessary to get the documentation they require for proof of income. Simple isn't it? Or.......I could bitch about how the rules were changed and it is all so unfair..... :o

Doesnt Thailand need a points system??

People that apply with skills Thailand needs should rate highly,such as Good teachers,Nurses,Doctors etc.

Retirees should be income tested annualy with a minimum income of 60-100k per mth.

Anyone coming to invest in those cancerous blots of English,Irish pubs,Restaurants and Beer bars should be deemed not needed as their are way too many.

Serious investors should be awarded status and must invest in projects that benefit Thailand and its people and be given the relevant support and tax breaks.

This past Friday the Embassy did rubber-stamp my income statement :D Good for me.

To answer your question. If the US Embassy starts making me "prove" my income (like the UK does) I will do the work necessary to get the documentation they require for proof of income. Simple isn't it? Or.......I could bitch about how the rules were changed and it is all so unfair..... :o

Thailand was to easy for far to long on visa policy.

You know what that does, it ended up attracting many drop outs, undesirables, unseccessful and nonproductive type farangs. Not the type to build a foreign community on. A true haven for

the scammers of insurance and government income lowlifes.

It definetly is turning off many decent farang retiree's and successful farangs that would come and

spend as they do in the west. Quality of the farang community is almost to the point it is a destitute

bunch of low income drop outs from their own society bringing their failures and problems with them.

A new class of poor arrives.

Then again Thailand gets what is deserves a country that rewards liars and crimminals.

Edited by Khun ?

This is probably the wisest post on this entire thread, a thread, incidentally, riddled with hearsay and inaccuracies presented as facts.

Example, first we hear of a new requirement for businesses to make 1 million baht, then the poster amends it to 1m capital.

It's really not that hard to work how legal ways to stay and to contribute to this country we all profess to love, if that is what we want to do.

To Bendix: I had posted what I had experienced at the immigration: the wrong interpretation of an existing regulation saying that a company employing a foreigner must have at least 1.000.000 in equity. It was interpreted by that officer as profit and thus did not want to issue the extension.

To answer your question. If the US Embassy starts making me "prove" my income (like the UK does) I will do the work necessary to get the documentation they require for proof of income. Simple isn't it? Or.......I could bitch about how the rules were changed and it is all so unfair..... :D

JR Texas to Fred Sanford: I agree with you, partially, about Bendix and LoveDaBlues. They certainly come across as being selfish and unsympathetic....but also informed (even though I disagree with most of what they say).

When I read statements like they have made, I try to ask myself what I would have to believe to make similar statements.

I think both Bendix and LoveDaBlues are informed by a belief that tells them that the individual is the only one responsible for reality. Bendix, for example, probably believes that if he has a problem it is because of him and the actions he has taken..........or that if he is rich, it is because of his decisions (nothing to do with serendipity or the hard work of others, etc).

So, when people "complain" about the visa rules, he thinks they have not taken proper action at the level of the individual....that they are lazy, or ill informed, etc. So, it becomes hard, if not impossible, for him to accept the premise that individuals are often influenced by powerful forces/events that thwart any individual efforts to address them.

The idea that an individual should take responsibility for his actions has some positives.....instead of complaining the person is forced (by his beliefs) to take action to solve a problem/challenge. This is a good way to think if you are the CEO of a corporation or president of the United States ("the buck stops here"). Many very successful people think this way. You do not spend much time complaining or saying things like "why me," you just get off your backside and move forward.

On the other side, it is obvious that individuals are often tested by forces and events that are so great that no individual can address them effectively (e.g., global warming, genocide, WWII). These types of forces/events do not go away as a result of the force of one individual. Solutions to these forces/events come in the form of collective action by responsible individuals.

Some would argue that Gandhi disproves this......but even Gandhi would have accomplished nothing if not for the fact that millions of people made the collective decision to follow him on the road to India's independence.

Now, back to reality........the visa rules are impacting individuals. Many well-meaning and decent people are being hurt. Yes, they can act as individuals and go through a myriad of hoops to reach a solution.....one solution is simply to walk away and start life anew in another country. But to think that the visa problems expats are encountering today are just the result of individual farangs making poor decisions and that the solutions are simple is a gross simplification of reality.

Not sure what I am saying.......except beliefs matter and people on TF are expressing themselves based on a set of deep beliefs.......most of which they are not even aware of. :o

JR Texas to Fred Sanford: I agree with you, partially, about Bendix and LoveDaBlues. They certainly come across as being selfish and unsympathetic....but also informed (even though I disagree with most of what they say).

When I read statements like they have made, I try to ask myself what I would have to believe to make similar statements.

I think both Bendix and LoveDaBlues are informed by a belief that tells them that the individual is the only one responsible for reality. Bendix, for example, probably believes that if he has a problem it is because of him and the actions he has taken..........or that if he is rich, it is because of his decisions (nothing to do with serendipity or the hard work of others, etc).

So, when people "complain" about the visa rules, he thinks they have not taken proper action at the level of the individual....that they are lazy, or ill informed, etc. So, it becomes hard, if not impossible, for him to accept the premise that individuals are often influenced by powerful forces/events that thwart any individual efforts to address them.

I fully agree with JR Texas and Stanford. For example when someone tells me he has no driver licence in Thailand and need to run away if the police try to stop him I encourage and advice him on how to get one instead of walking away and think about how much smarter than that person I am.

When posting here I mean to share some experience and not to whine and feel bad all day about how miserable the situation is. If any post can help someone avoiding or solve trouble than the board has done a good job.

I bumped into a guy from the states a while back. After the usual chit-chat (where you from, etc.) he starts railing against the local cops. He says, "I never stop when I'm on my motorcycle and they wave me over". Why I ask? Because I don't have a motorcycle license. Oh, how long have you lived here I say? Eight years was his reply. I softly say, "well I've some shopping to do.....see you later".......and I drift away.......

Mr. Rosner is pleased to be the outlaw biker without a bike. Mr. Rosner also does not have a driver's license after being here for almost 1 year. Mr. Rosner wonders out loud if he is the type that should be tossed out of Thailand based on the above statement. Mr. Rosner's family would be less than pleased.

Mrs. Rosner, a Thai National also has no license but she readilly admits it does help when stopped by criminal elements of the police for shakedown money.

Thailand was to easy for far to long on visa policy.

You know what that does, it ended up attracting many drop outs, undesirables, unseccessful and nonproductive type farangs. Not the type to build a foreign community on. A true haven for

the scammers of insurance and government income lowlifes.

It definetly is turning off many decent farang retiree's and successful farangs that would come and

spend as they do in the west. Quality of the farang community is almost to the point it is a destitute

bunch of low income drop outs from their own society bringing their failures and problems with them.

A new class of poor arrives.

Then again Thailand gets what is deserves a country that rewards liars and crimminals.

JR Texas to Khun?: Having a bad day?

I do believe you are forgetting about the jobs created by the amount that expats spend here. Every baht brought into the country represents 10 baht in the economy or more in my estimation. Just my opinion.

There is economic truth to this, since the Kingdom runs a fractional reserve banking system,which whilst the exact multiplier is closely held, as in the US for example, I would view a 1 to 9 ratio about right.

Regards

When I was studying economics in the early 80's the multiplier was kept between 8 and 9 in the USA. The fed reserve can control it to a certain extent. Since the tax system in thailand is not very efficient and money is not being drawn off by SS, SI and many of the other deductions that they have in the USA,at least not to as large an extent. I would guess that the multiplier is much higher than that in thailand. I used 10 as a conservative number.

I have to agree with JRTexas and his comments. It seems to me that some of the current visa regulations are ill-conceived, and do little to encourage 'decent' foreigners and live and work/do business in Thailand. They need a complete overhaul.

Why (for example), was the investment visa option removed? Why was the PR option for 'major' investors removed by the BOI? It can hardly make foreign businessmen/women feel confident about the ability of this country to offer sensible and stable visa options.

As a successful investor in Thailand, who employs Thai nationals and whose business pays taxes and attracts foreign expenditure from tourists, I now find myself living in Thailand on a 30 day VOA! (In part, this was due to my own peculier circumstances and my wife's illness). I was faced with the possibility of having to relocate myself to another country.

Happily, I have resolved my own visa issues by enrolling at Chulalongkorn University for the MA in Thai Studies, and can obtain a 1-year ED visa in the next few weeks. Although this visa option was 'forced' upon me, I'm actually enjoying the course :o

But my own visa solution is probably not common. And I'm sure there are many (many!) foreigners living in Thailand who find themselves falling between the cracks of the different visa options. (Eg - If a businessman/woman is an investor and doesn't actually work in Thailand, why the hel_l does he have to be 50 before he can get a viable longterm visa??)

Too many hoops and not enough common sense :D

Simon

A reminder that the forum is for the discussion of issues - not posters.

JR Texas: Think the above post was meant for me.

Sorry in advance to Bendix and LoveDaBlues.......should have been a bit more careful.

I did not say "you are that way" but only meant "because of what I think your beliefs are, your statements sometimes come across as being........" Also, paid you a compliment......many successful people do think in a similar way.

Best wishes from JR (Sometimes Stupid. Rude and Arrogant) Texas

slightly off topic but here's an example of the type of farang that does not belong here IMHO:

You know why the cops pull foreigners over on the road don't you? They're not interested in licences, just a quick payment. I quite understand that guy's reluctance to pull over.