PM urges public not to panic over first case of Omicron variant in Thailand

snoop1130

So if he arrived on the 30th and did a PCR test on arrival why has it taken all this time for the results to come back?

I wonder if he was in quarantine for the duration? 

Why has it taken 6 days to get around to sequencing?

I hope that doesn't imply that they don't routinely sequence all results because that could be a bit of a worry

As usual only half a story.....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It is in

One way or another it would have found a mean to get here

Another day on earth....

One downside though: the blame game erupting from this finding ("we told you to keep the borders closed")

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Up to you mate, 14 million tourists (yeah I know) versus 1 million tourists, more closures, more job loses and another 2-3 years on the recovery. Your choice, but based on you being more likely to be killed by lightning currently than omicron it should not be a hard choice, unless you want to ban going outside in storms

Europe's going into shutdowns and lockdowns.  Many countries.  Not just because of Omicron, but because of surging Delta cases.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I'm pretty sure it is the ability to differentiate between the variants.  Some of these tests  can't tell exactly which variant which takes a higher level analysis.  Given from what I'm seeing, Omicron has been around for a bit but no one could differentiate it.  After a few more weeks it will probably be determined that Omicron is a lesser form of COVID and not worth all the new security.  You have to remember that there is going to be variants, some better (potentially this with it's multitude of mutations to spread easier but less symptoms), and others that might be potentially worse.  The flu has been with us for a very long time and only once in a great while has it mutated to a form at the time that the medicine community was not able to keep up.  Remember, flu shots are a guess on the world health's part as to what variation(s) is/are going to come through that season in that part of the world.  Sometimes they don't get it right on the shot mix and some flu seasons are worse than others.   It will take some time for this "Flu" to settle down to an almost yearly thing.

Here is something to think over, why is there a flu season ????

No credible scientist has said this variant will be milder.  Time will tell.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/omicron-covid-19-variant-12-03-21/h_e9abf186c472f8848be017cd63fb666e

WHO chief scientist: It's too early to conclude Omicron coronavirus variant leads to mild illness

• Like 2

Just now, apetryxx said:

For the last couple of years this government has been scaring the pants off of an already superstitious and in many cases poorly informed population. Now they’re telling these same folks not to panic! Better to remain silent and be thought a fool………

Better to be proactive and not be caught off guard.  Like they did before and are now thought of as fools.

Not sure why you don't like what they are saying?  Don't panic is pretty spot on.  We just don't know enough right now.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha is asking the Thai public not to panic over the discovery of Thailand’s first confirmed case of the COVID-19 Omicron variant

Public should feel reassured from above statement, as the PM had few hours before assured the citizens that Omicron would be prevented from making its way to the country.

12 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

I'm pretty sure it is the ability to differentiate between the variants.  Some of these tests  can't tell exactly which variant which takes a higher level analysis.  Given from what I'm seeing, Omicron has been around for a bit but no one could differentiate it.  After a few more weeks it will probably be determined that Omicron is a lesser form of COVID and not worth all the new security.  You have to remember that there is going to be variants, some better (potentially this with it's multitude of mutations to spread easier but less symptoms), and others that might be potentially worse.  The flu has been with us for a very long time and only once in a great while has it mutated to a form at the time that the medicine community was not able to keep up.  Remember, flu shots are a guess on the world health's part as to what variation(s) is/are going to come through that season in that part of the world.  Sometimes they don't get it right on the shot mix and some flu seasons are worse than others.   It will take some time for this "Flu" to settle down to an almost yearly thing.

Here is something to think over, why is there a flu season ????

Thankyou Dr Phibes

13 hours ago, mark131v said:

So if he arrived on the 30th and did a PCR test on arrival why has it taken all this time for the results to come back?

I wonder if he was in quarantine for the duration? 

Why has it taken 6 days to get around to sequencing?

I hope that doesn't imply that they don't routinely sequence all results because that could be a bit of a worry

As usual only half a story.....

No country routinely sequences all results.... They take random samples from across the country.

He arrived, tested positive and then quarantined due to the positive test. They then took his test, possibly due to travel history and did sequencing where it was found to be the Omicrom strain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

To many Chicken Littles in the world press. "If it bleeds it leads" but in this case "If it infects it leads."

I'm guessing because over 7,000 died just yesterday from this virus, it's headline news.

17 minutes ago, phukettrader said:

Many credible scientists have stated that this variant is no worse than a common cold. It's only governments, mass media and big pharma funded "experts" that are hell bent on pushing the narrative of fear and control.

If indeed the variant is mild then this is great news as it means the virus is mutating into something that, although maybe more transmissible, is no longer deadly. Again, this has been predicted by many credible scientists for some time now.

They have all said possibly. Not guaranteed.