No lockdown, Omicron is under control: PM

webfact

9 hours ago, Virt said:

It might be under control at the moment, but if it spreads so fast as it does here, it's just as matter of time before Thailand will face a new wave.

Here in Denmark we're seeing more and more cases of omicron each day that has not been related to traveling in Africa.

We went from 18 cases Friday to 183 Sunday and i think we passed 300 yesterday. (EDIT. We're at 398)

We do test a lot more than other countries (200,000 daily PCR test in a 5.8 million population plus 100,000+ quicktests) and we sequence a lot so of course we catch more cases, compared to some other countries.

We're also starting to find the omicron in our sewer samples as well, so i don't think we're able to control it any more.

We might be able to slow down the spread, but it looks like it's going to take over the delta within a short time if the pace continue.

I will suggest Thailand to massively ramp up their PCR testing, if they want to keep track of the omicron variant.

It's the only way to know how widespread it is.

I don't know if Thailand do sewer samples, but they could do that too if they don't use that method now.

Why??? Unlike the D Variant that created hell and death everywhere ….are the death numbers up? Are many more vaccinated then were last year at this time? Thailand should get those that are  unvaccinated jabbed quicker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed:-

Granlund cartoon: Famous last words

No doubt a cartoon lampooning the antivaxxers/maskers that was lead by that guy that was verifiable a losser.  I dont think this represents Thailand at all. 

• Thanks 1

That Prayut has got it under control? That's nothing against what will be globally controlled as came out from the WHO Special Session (there have not be many in the life of WHO) few days ago where a proposal for Pandemic Treaty was prepared. 

53 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

As yet there are no hospitalizations or people seriously ill.

Wrong, there are more than 4000 new cases new in Denmark and there are more than 1000 hospitalized + a few dead, well, most are non vax'ed people, the tracing is out to 3. group of people and the health people says it is spread rapidly and owerthrown the Delta variants and it will soon be the most dominant

Looks like the UK may soon go to plan B as a result of Omicron

Sky News:

Two senior government sources told Sky News that the PM is minded to move to Plan B "as early as this week".

Plan B is designed to "prevent unsustainable pressure on the NHS" but would be a tough sell for some Conservative backbenchers, particularly those in the COVID Recovery Group who are against limitations on freedoms.

It comes as cases of the new Omicron coronavirus variant are rising and leading figures have warned about NHS capacity.

14 minutes ago, m Stender said:

Wrong, there are more than 4000 new cases new in Denmark and there are more than 1000 hospitalized + a few dead, well, most are non vax'ed people, the tracing is out to 3. group of people and the health people says it is spread rapidly and owerthrown the Delta variants and it will soon be the most dominant

Same here in norway..more then 5000 new cases now..320 in hospital.Omicron didnt hit us hard yet,but im sure it will soon.The main pasients now is around age 40 and mostly unvaccinated.

With the speed this new variant is spreading, it is only a matter of time before we will see restrictions reinforced and maybe even new lockdowns. 

Nothing the PM says will or can change that.

• Confused 2

With all intial reports stating this strain is extremely mild with most symptoms showing slight tiredness, similar to a cold (also a corona virus) we see at last some sense from the government.

Well done Prayuth a good decision...now dont flip flo on this as confidence is the key to a sucessful reopening and return to normality.

I cant believe what i am saying here, but credit where credit's due. By th way Mr PM could you drop a line to the Austrians and Germans and explain things to them. I wouldn't bother with the Ausis and Kiwis, they were a lost cause months ago, they are still throwing the babies out, long after the bathwater has drained away.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, m Stender said:

Just a little correction and i'm sorry it it's off topic.

Todays new cases are 6629 (179 of them are omicon so far) from 199.223 PCR test which is positive % of 3,35%

461 hospitalizations. (4 less than yesterday)

(151 unvaxed, 12 that had their first shot and 290 fully vaxed)

In intensive care is 66 and 38 of them are in respirator (433 respirators are what we have total at our disposal)

Statistically it makes sense why the number of unvaxxed in hospitals are higher than the unvaxxed

and the unvaxed are having a 4 x higher chance of getting hospitalized if we look at our numbers.

So overall we're actually not doing that great at the moment when it comes to new daily cases

because they are the highest ones we're seeing during the entire pandemic,

but our numbers is hospitals are more than 50% less than they were when we had most in hospitals.

So that shows that the vaccines are doing what they are suppose to do.

Omicron is still so new that we haven't started to see the real impact of it.

Give it a month or so and we will see if it's so harmless that we all hope it is. 

Let's hope in a year from now, that we don't have to sit here and argue about another mutation and that we can start talking about vacations and such in Thailand once again.

It's been a while and i can't wait to return to Thailand.

Edited by Virt
put in numbers for todays omicon cases.

Omicron is under control.
Laughed so hard I actually fell off my chair when I read that. Prayuth and his cabinet couldn’t control a kindergarten class, much less the spread of the most contagious Covid variant by far to date. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Hope he doesn't have to eat his words "again".

Its a concern because dirty foreigners are involved....  indeed... never mind the thousands that cross the border with the armys blessing (they have a system) and hence all the covid up there....  talk about the movie dumb and dumber....

think about it..

yeah yeah triple vpn routed and 2 satelites.....  CLOWNS

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

With the speed this new variant is spreading, it is only a matter of time before we will see restrictions reinforced and maybe even new lockdowns. 

Nothing the PM says will or can change that.

"....................we will see restrictions reinforced and maybe even new lockdowns. Nothing the PM says will or can change that."

I'm sorry, but is the PM not the one who is ultimately in charge of restrictions and lockdowns?

• Like 2

Heckin yes!! We did it with science!!  I love how science already got this down within 2 weeks!!  GET YOUR FKN SHOTS OR ELSE.  Think of all the lives saved and money made!

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-provide-update-omicron-variant

Pfizer and BioNTech Provide Update on Omicron Variant

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 06:54am
  • Preliminary laboratory studies demonstrate that three doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine neutralize the Omicron variant (B.1.1.529 lineage) while two doses show significantly reduced neutralization titers
  • Data indicate that a third dose of BNT162b2 increases the neutralizing antibody titers by 25-fold compared to two doses against the Omicron variant; titers after the booster dose are comparable to titers observed after two doses against the wild-type virus which are associated with high levels of protection
  • As 80% of epitopes in the spike protein recognized by CD8+ T cells are not affected by the mutations in the Omicron variant, two doses may still induce protection against severe disease
  • The companies continue to advance the development of a variant-specific vaccine for Omicron and expect to have it available by March in the event that an adaption is needed to further increase the level and duration of protection – with no change expected to the companies’ four billion dose capacity for 2022
Edited by TooMuchTime

20 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Omicron is under control.
Laughed so hard I actually fell off my chair when I read that. Prayuth and his cabinet couldn’t control a kindergarten class, much less the spread of the most contagious Covid variant by far to date. 

Notice the way he passed the buck to Anutin? A few months after he magnanimously said that ultimately he was responsible for  Covid?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saanim said:

Frankly, what exactly do you want him to say? Just curious...

Any idea? Perhaps something more clever as we hear from some of the world leaders?

How about: new variants will be a recurring problem and it's up to every individual to take precautions as we go ahead with reopening.

It's ridiculous, the PM is setting himself up to loose by saying it can be controlled. At least he has Anutin to blame when it goes sideways in a few weeks. The illegal border crossings is what will do them in tho. They keep looking at the airports and legal entries, when nearly all of the problems slip in the back door and ruin it for everyone.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Has Prayut changed his management style?

I'm liking this new "sorted?", "sorted!" with no wink necessary attitude.

If the promising data on Omicron keeps heading in the same direction then maybe he’s given us all a Xmas gift, possibly the ending of the pandemic, fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Considering that in the USA there are still over 1000 people still dying each day of COVID,

I am not going to relax and go travelling anywhere. In Thailand there would seem to be lots of Delta

variant of COVID, so if this Omicron variant is milder and only more contagious, well maybe we do not need

to worry quite as much.  In Thailand however there are still people dying from COVID, as well as many other 

reasons, so it may be wise to still stay cautious and try to be alive in 2022. 

Glad to hear that the great General PM, is not going to lock down Thailand again though.

Good Luck all.

15 hours ago, tandor said:

...well said...a great and accurate assessment.

...Thailand routinely test their waste water treatment plants...however not known if they have upgraded their filters to trap SarsCovi2 virus.

Edited by tandor

11 hours ago, sambum said:

"....................we will see restrictions reinforced and maybe even new lockdowns. Nothing the PM says will or can change that."

I'm sorry, but is the PM not the one who is ultimately in charge of restrictions and lockdowns?

What the PM says and what ends up happening is two different things. This is his moment of glory. Once the virus takes over, it is time for him to find others to blame for the spread and new restrictions…Happened before. Will happen again…

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2