Will a stop-over exceed my 72-hour PCR test requirements for entry to Thailand?

Thai Pass was approved and I’m scheduled to fly to Phuket.  I will get a PCR test 70 hours before my departure.  I transit in Doha for 8 hours after a 15-hour flight and would prefer to go into Doha and have dinner/explore than twiddle my thumbs at the airport.   If I leave the airport do I run the risk that my PCR test is now 90+ hours old and therefore won’t be allowed back into the airport and to board the flight from Doha to Phuket?  I should already have boarding passes for my second flight. If I stay in the terminal I know I won’t have any issues.

Thanks.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, donx said:

My understanding is that this would violate the requirement of having been in the country of origin for the last 21 days. Once you leave the transit area of the airport, you effectively change your country of origin since you must pass through immigration both into and out of Doha.

You don't need to have been in the country of origin for 21 days - you can be in any combination of approved countries, as long as you don't set foot in a non-approved country during that time period; this has been confirmed by the Thai MFA multiple times. Qatar is on the "approved" list.

As for the OP's specific question, I haven't seen it addressed anywhere. My assumption is that leaving the airport during transit wouldn't affect the test schedule, since he would still be in transit, but that's only an assumption.

5 hours ago, donx said:

My understanding is that this would violate the requirement of having been in the country of origin for the last 21 days. Once you leave the transit area of the airport, you effectively change your country of origin since you must pass through immigration both into and out of Doha.

It won’t, Qatar is also a ‘green country’ so that falls within the 21 days remit. 

If the first airport issues boarding passes all the way though there is nothing stopping the op. 

But, the Op has to also ensure he can enter Qatar, he’ll need to download the Ethiraz App etc

Truthfully, there’s not a lot worth seeing in Doha anyway… perhaps the Zouk. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

It's passangers like you that the covid virus spreads. Hold off on your self gratification and tough it out and stay at the airport. The airport is a 98% covid free secured environment and you want to venture into a 25% environment because you "don't feel like it". Come on man, use your head. 

Sanctimonious much ????

Qatar has a very low Covid rate… he’s probably safer going into to Doha than he is hanging around the airport full of transiting passengers from all over the world for 8 hours….

• Like 1

Thai Airways says this: A COVID-19 test with a laboratory result indicating that COVID -19 is not detected (COVID test must be by RT-PCR method), issued within 72 hours before departure is required. Please note that this is required for all travellers, irrespective of nationality and age.

• Like 1

Many wrong answers here. The rule regarding the PCR test is as follows. A negative test via the RT PCR method, with the RESULT of the test 72 hours before the first departure. To pre empt those of you who will say I am wrong, I have attached 3 examples where it clearly says 72 hours from the Test Result

Screenshot_20211208-184923_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-184952_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20211208-185203_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donx said:

I'm not saying this is the case, only that I can see officials in Thailand seeing it this way. What if the layover was 12 hours, or 18 hours, or 24 hours and they went into Qatar? In my potentially flawed opinion, going through immigration constitutes something other than transiting through a country.

Qatar is a listed country. But leaving the airport means entering a country and would not be considered a normal transit.

That might a new corvid 19 test being required and a new Thailand Pass.

• Like 1

Will a stop-over exceed my 72-hour PCR test requirements for entry to Thailand?

No.

Assumes you stay in the international transit area at DOH.

Do not, under any circumstances try to "leave the airport" at DOH. I doubt that they'd let you pass arriving Immigration anyway.

Maybe re-arrange a shorter connection, and/or save the Doha city tour for next year's World Cup?

Thank you all for your replies!

I'm going to listen to the wise words of mtls2005 and stay at the Airport! 

Regarding cheapcanuck's comments:  Part of the reason I wanted to go into Doha is so that I could reduce my covid risk by being outdoors and avoid the cramped and overcrowded Doha Airport.  I was there two weeks ago and 5 days ago, and it was packed!  

• Like 1