Just got my 3rd (Booster) Moderna vaccine at Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok today

wasabi

3 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

I get my Astra Zeneca booster shot at Photharam hospital next Tuesday 14 December, 6 1/2 months after my two Astra Zeneca vaccines in Australia. No registration or appointment necessary.

Free of charge

Also free and MUCH more simple to get vaccinated in the USA but for Thailand I thought this was reasonably easy and fairly priced.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Nice for the OP but a bit of a disappointment for all those people that pre-paid their Moderna Vaccine approx 4-6 months ago and are still waiting!!

When I checked the Bumrungrad website last week it said that they were taking appointments now but I may have to wait as long as 6 months. I called Bangkok hospital ( again thanks to the heads up from Richard Barrow) and was told they had Moderna appointments available immediately. I scheduled my appointment last Friday and went today.

I have no idea the reason for the big difference, just glad to have this done. 

Edited by wasabi
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Nice for the OP but a bit of a disappointment for all those people that pre-paid their Moderna Vaccine approx 4-6 months ago and are still waiting!!

Finally got an appointment for Dec 17.

Can not even remember when I paid (THG).

Will have some extra "fun": got two shots from local campaign using my "pink card" with the 13 digit ID.

Moderna registered with passport number.

Will try to sort out.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Having got our two shots of Pfizer in the US about six months ago, we finally got  our Moderna Booster shot last Friday at Kasemrat international  hospital. All very well organized, Very little  reaction  to it , just some pain in the arm for les than 24 hrs. Cost 1650 baht per shot.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you know if you got a full dose (0.5 mL) or a half-dose (0.25 mL)?

https://www.fda.gov/media/153354/download

I'm not sure I may call to find out. However if it were one of the 1st 2 in the vaccine series I might be more concerned but since it was the booster I think I should be fine either way. I did just notice the vaccine certificate has a QR code and when I scan the code my wife and I are registered as having the booster by the MOPH department of the Thai government which might be useful.

20 minutes ago, wasabi said:

since it was the booster I think I should be fine either way.

"fine either way"

Awesome.

Who cares what the dosage is? Twice as much should be twice as good. What do doctors, scientist and health officials know anyway.

All that said, mostly in jest, local applications of Moderna as a booster (to AZ, sino-stuff) seems to be full strength. And no one has died, yet.

In the U.S. the half dose is for those who already have Moderna 2X. So maybe for Pfizer 2X, Moderna full dose is OK for a booster.

Thanks for blazing the trail, and volunteering.

https://www.bangkokhospital.com/en/content/questions-about-moderna-covid-19-vaccine

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/full-dose-or-half-dose-clearing-up-confusion-over-moderna-boosters/

moderna.jpg

moderna.jpg

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

BKK Hospital BKK informed me yesterday that their Moderna booster guidelines changed to 3-6 months after 2nd AstraZeneca, no longer the 6 months. I rebooked Moderna jab to December 28 rather than March, I've read a booster jab should be half dose not sure on this info.... Happy New Year...

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wasabi said:

Well can't be worse than the time I took that extra hit of acid because I thought the first one wasn't working.

Again awesome medical advice.

You apparently survived that so not waking up, or complications, after a double hit of a vaccine might be classified as "worse"?

31 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

I've read a booster jab should be half dose not sure on this info

As near as I can determine today - and I am not a scientist or medical professional - the half-dose of Moderna as a booster is for those fully vaxxed with Moderna. For those vaxxed with other vaccines, a full dose may be OK.

I'm not certain you can get a half dose here short of pulling away from the needle as the nurse approaches a 50% "plunge". You might be able to arrange it, or it may become a menu item here at some point, but the needles are usually loaded for that day.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wasabi said:

The process involved purchasing coupons on the official Bangkok Hospital subsite on Shoppee. Cost was 1650 THB per person.

Great report. Just checked a hospital's website. It states that it offers bookings for an "alternative vaccine" (rather than a 'booster'). I take it that this is for 2 doses. Also, there is a remark: "...excludes doctor’s fee, if applicable." - Did you pay an extra "doctor's fee"?

1,650 is for one single dose.

Doctor/facility fees probably 250 ish, but my read on the SHopee Ts&Cs is that this (1.650) includes all fees.

**PLEASE READ TERMS AND DETAILS BEFORE PURCHASING** Bangkok Hospital Head Office has opened reservations for Moderna vaccines, lot 2, which includes vaccine costs. (And vaccine allergy insurance), medical equipment costs and hospital service fees on the day of vaccination only, which the hospital expects to receive the vaccine around January - March 2022 

Edited by mtls2005

The total cost was 1650 THB. There were no extra fees. My arm was very sore this morning and I did have some shivers for a few hours last night but already on the mend today. I simply don't know what my dosage was. It is a hospital under government regulation so I think there's a decent shot it was the correct dosage. They did make a note that I had 2 Pfizer vaccines previously.

My understanding is you can get your 1st, 2nd or booster shot under this scheme.

Edited by wasabi
  • Like 1

Interesting thread, hot topic now .I have been waiting for information on booster shots and since Pfizer latest announcement re only 2 shots not offering full protection against Omicron and antibodies would be reduced to only 50% plus their recommendation to get the 3rd booster shot , then with Omicron here in Thailand this thread and anything regarding booster shots will get major attention !!!  It still appears that one has to wait the 6 months in Thailand although this is likely to be because the purchase and distribution of vaccines is government controlled and the fact is , they don't have enough vaccines !    Medical profession states you can get the booster 8 to 12 weeks after your 2 jab .  

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you know if you got a full dose (0.5 mL) or a half-dose (0.25 mL)?

https://www.fda.gov/media/153354/download

Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine is authorized for emergency use to prevent COVID-19 in
individuals 18 years of age and older.
A booster dose was authorized on October 20, 2021, for specific populations described below.

The purpose of this letter is to alert vaccination providers that the volume of a booster dose is
0.25 mL.

Primary Vaccination:
Each dose 0.5 mL
A primary series of this vaccine is two 0.5 mL doses administered intramuscularly 1 month
apart. A third 0.5 mL primary series dose at least 1 month following the second dose is
authorized for administration to individuals at least 18 years of age who have undergone solid
organ transplantation, or who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have an
equivalent level of immunocompromise.

Booster Vaccination:
One 0.25 mL dose
A booster dose may be administered intramuscularly at least 6 months after completing a
primary series with the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine to individuals:
• 65 years of age and older
• 18 through 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19
• 18 through 64 years of age with frequent institutional or occupational exposure to SARSCoV-2

if  its moderna booster its half dose. 

im due for the moderna booster............i think alot of us are waiting to see if an updated booster comes out.  heres my question.   every week that goes by now is my immunity going down so the booster wont do its job.  to be blunt alot of us are questioning the need for booster,   but on other hand if we dont get boosted soon we lose all the benefit from the first two shots

4 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

BKK Hospital BKK informed me yesterday that their Moderna booster guidelines changed to 3-6 months after 2nd AstraZeneca, no longer the 6 months. I rebooked Moderna jab to December 28 rather than March, I've read a booster jab should be half dose not sure on this info.... Happy New Year...

Omg. You nor any scientist can keep up with what vaccines mixes with which and they are changing the times between shots constantly. And now after all of this you aren't even protected from the new omikron version. I'm happy that there are some that have the guts as you to take all those vaccines. I myself got scared from the first moment. 

• Like 1

Yes, well done.

Going private does seem a bit of a free for all.  It does look like we're all going to need boosters after a few months, so I guess it's a hurdle we must all jump now.

Shocking service for those who paid anticipating October.

I message Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, this was their reply,

Further to your inquiry, please be informed that registration for Moderna vaccine is currently available in our hospital. You can have it for your booster shot. The registration is currently open and the vaccine will be distributed approximately between January to March 2022.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, ozfarang said:

I get my Astra Zeneca booster shot at Photharam hospital next Tuesday 14 December, 6 1/2 months after my two Astra Zeneca vaccines in Australia. No registration or appointment necessary.

Free of charge

Should get Pfizer or Moderna as a booster to 2 x Astra Zenica.

I just got a THG message all in Thai on LINE saying my MODERNA queue number 340,000 is now ready that I paid for in July and they need an answer in 2 days having waited 6 months!?

I have already had an AZ booster last month having given up waiting for THG, what to do about Moderna?

Edited by Digitalbanana
  • Like 1