Thailand detects fourth potential Omicron case, first three confirmed

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Toany said:

Omicron is so far showing that it is more effective at preventing the serious effects of Delta than a vaccine.  Where can I buy

it?

It's coming right to your door very soon!  ????  

I can't find this thread, there are omicron threads all over the place.  This place has more omicron threads than omicron in Thailand!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

You can't keep out an enemy you can't see!  Here in Thailand as long as you have two standards which is allowing Thais to entered without being vaccinated or even tested or going through all the protocols they required from tourist but of course this is common with the thinking of the leaders here.

The clue to it coming was when the PM " said he got it under control "  let hope the news so far coming out the " OMG " latest name for the Omicron I heard a Thai mispronounced the other day LOL is true that it is mild  ???? because we know when they say control what that means.

The two Thai ladies who brought the virus in were both under a 14 day lockdown because they were unvaccinated. A 14 day lock down is required for all returnees who are unvaccinated how is this different treatment. You are just making the usual thau hates us argument wuth out any supporting evidence.

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

All indicators , in the moment , point to the high probability that some form of the ever mutating virus will stay . It does not seem to disappear alone .

Would it be a good idea to build new specialized hospitals now ?

Hospitals in general are easily overwhelmed by the number of Covid admissions . To a point that normal operations of people with non life threatening cases need to be delayed .

That adds to the fact that it would be better to separate non infected persons from the infected ones anyway .

New hospitals that can specialize in the treatment of Covid cases should be built now .

I am sure that there is enough money left to do that , especially when reducing the non urgent spending for military purposes etc ...

They have had 2 years to build hospitals. Even rich states like Western Australia built on billions of resource dollars and who have stuck to basically covid zero strategy have had 2 years to do something, anything in that regard. Nada.

9 hours ago, Virt said:

That's the data to look at. But we need to keep in mind this reports the number of people hospitalized with COVID, but not necessarily because of COVID. Everybody gets tested before admission. Somebody getting treated for cancer may have COVID and be in the ICU for instance. If I remember correctly, John Campbell said 75% of ICU case were for other reasons, while 25% were for COVID, although I can't find this in the data here. As a side note, many media outlets don't quite understand reports and what the data there are reading means.

• Haha 1

Here we go again, who cares Omicron, dont let people in from Africa thats it, nomore problems and why try to scare the people again??

Looks like Thailand feels honoured and proud to have discovered some Omicron cases and show the world????

16 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

You think it can be kept out? The world is too mobile and all barriers are porous. It'll get through, like osmosis.

Lockdowns, masks, social distancing, and vaccines are only prolonging the agony. 

I think that the fact that the poster put "letting it in" in brackets tells the story - I think he/she means it's too soon to just let it run rampant.

44 minutes ago, Harrith1954 said:

Oh, well, in the UK they want people to take boosters for every three months allready, i think that is crazy, for variants Will be not lethal anymore. They het milder every mutations and do not have severe sickness...

Uhm i don't think that's true.

Just because the virus mutated into something milder does not the mean next mutation will also be mild 

That's not how virus work.

It actually already mutated and they say the PCR test can't detect the new mutation.

Not as in PCR can't detect the virus, because it will still become positive, but they can't detect if it's omicron like some PCR can with original omicron.

So that means more genome sequencing and slower detecting of that mutated omicron.

I will try and find the link.

Edit. Link. Sorry if it has been posted earlier in thread.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/second-version-omicron-variant-ba2

Edited by Virt
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The news coming out is very good.  How we get to total saturation of the latest variant isn't really up to us - it is coming and that is that.  

If the variant has no worse ill health effects than now and it keeps going, most experts agree in this hypothetical situation the pandemic should be over.  

We are still waiting for the final word and it will take some weeks yet, or so they say.  

You cannot keep a virus out.  Full stop, end of discussion.  This has nothing to do with governance.  

I just wanted to edit this post and add that it has displaced delta by 95-98 percent of new infections.  Delta is basically done right now.  Furthermore, 75 percent of people getting diagnosed with omicron don't even know they have it.  They are going to hospitals for something else and they get a test as a matter of course and are surprised they have it.  

Good news indeed!  

You are extraordinarily well informed. Do you have inside information?

I have just joined this forum and read through this thread and it seems to me there are quite a few keyboard scientists and viralogists out there, the top guys all around europe do not understand this strain yet, they do not know how it it is going to pan out, but evidently some of you guys do, eer on the side of caution get your vaccines and be sensible about it, as for the comments about it being  just like "Influenza", the flu is a long term killer, killing many thousands per year, 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Omicron said:

I have just joined this forum and read through this thread and it seems to me there are quite a few keyboard scientists and viralogists out there, the top guys all around europe do not understand this strain yet, they do not know how it it is going to pan out, but evidently some of you guys do, eer on the side of caution get your vaccines and be sensible about it, as for the comments about it being  just like "Influenza", the flu is a long term killer, killing many thousands per year, 

Welcome to these fora.

Get ready to get jumped by certain posters ????

Don't mention the war.....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Omicron said:

In my opinion, the data from South Africa is still not really understandable and is contradictory. But, reading between the lines, the new variant seems mild. 

• Like 1

Thailand testing regime is pathetic.

You have it there.

I don't believe any of the numbers from this government where you have to pay for tests and treatment.

If you are unwell ( like me, and many others, March 2019) you stay in and suffer until you are better.

My theory is that Covid in various guises has been around for years and Thais have already built up a certain amount of herd immunity

Edited by Alidiver
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gold Star said:

All reports so far indicate this is a milder, more transmissible variant that will displace Delta as the dominant strain, bringing an end to the mortal dangers of this pandemic.

Perhaps doing the opposite, and letting it into the country may be be the right thing to do to get the world back on track.

We will know soon either way. It is coming.

Looks good, SA hospital reports are looking good , oxygen use is way down, death rates are way down, people are being sent home from hospitals after co-incidental diagnosis, lets hope it stays that way, The Thai govt ,on the side of caution, I think, got it right this time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Omicron said:

Correct but, the flue did not cause the world to be locked down, economic mayhem and ruin businesses  that were small but doing ok against the big giants.

• Like 1