Children who test positive with Covid separated from parents?

Bangkok Bro

I'm traveling from the USA to Thailand with my 10 year old nephew to visit family but its unclear what happens if a child tests positive for Covid upon arrival?

Are they separated from their parent/guardian at the hospital?  If my nephew does get Covid, I would want to stay in the hospital with him whether or not I tested negative or positive but will the hospital allow me to?

Has anyone heard first hand stories about what happens in this scenario?

We’re staying at the Westin Grande Suhkumvit and they send guests who test positive to Samitivej Hospital in case the helps answer the question.  Thanks

• Haha 1

I think standard practice is to separate them.

Maybe you can join him on request, but you would then have to pay it out of your own pocket.

If you catch covid while voluntarily staying with an infected person your insurance would probably not pay.

So if you are ready to pay a few hundred thousand you might be able to stay with him.

AS i understand it anyone in that travel party will face quarantine.Also those sat next to an infected person that is not in your travel party. 12 year olds and up are allowed to travel solo if vaccinated and they will face quarantine alone.Thats why i have backed out of bringing my daughter so far.

This has happened domestically... 

About a year ago it was reported (incorrectly) that a Thai child (2 years old) was separated from the parents when one of them (I can’t remember which) contracted Covid-19. 

The reality is that Children are not separated from their parents.

Of course, if either child or parent (guardian) are seriously unwell and require treatment medical response will take precedence. 

I’ve no first hand information on this, but also asked the same question (when travelling into Thailand with my Wife and Son) - the response was that if any in the party test positive for Covid-19 we all continue to quarantine together. 

23 minutes ago, sjd123 said:

AS i understand it anyone in that travel party will face quarantine.Also those sat next to an infected person that is not in your travel party. 12 year olds and up are allowed to travel solo if vaccinated and they will face quarantine alone.Thats why i have backed out of bringing my daughter so far.

As you mention, those travelling in the 'same party’ are requested to isolate. 

But, children are not separated from parents or guardians. 

The other information you have is also ’somewhat’ incorrect.

There have been 3 cases of ‘others’ being forced to isolate while being sat next to someone on a plane. 

1 case - Sandbox (Phuket) UAE family all forced to quarantine after 1 of them tested positive. 

1 case - Sandbox (Phuket) German Woman sat next to the UAE family forced to quarantine, she had tested negative.

1 case - Tes&Go (Bkk) 2 friends travelling together - 1 tested positive, the other negative, both had to isolate. 

Meanwhile since the beginning of Nov there have been ‘numerous’ positive cases found isolated at Test&Go facilities (hotels) after testing positive on their arrival PCR test.

If I’m not mistaken this number is in excess of 80 people - those 80 were all sat near or next to someone on a flight. The were sat behind someone and in front of someone.

It could be assumed that each person sits next to up to 8 people (next to 2, in front of 3 and behind 3) averaging out window seats, spare seats etc it could be assumed that each person sits next to about 5 people then.

Thus: For 80 people it could be assumed there would be an additional 400 proximity cases where people are forced into Quarantine because they are sat near someone who tested positive. 

Yet, there are no news reports of people testing negative yet being forced to isolate / quarantine for 2 weeks.

Thus: the absence of news and any information regarding proximity cases lends to the conclusion that someone who tests negative on arrival in Test&Go but was sat next to a stranger who has tested positive is not forced to isolate / quarantine.

Edited by richard_smith237

In some rate cases positive asymptomatic foreigners living in thailand were allowed to self-isolate, given antiviral medicine at 14k. 
with thai that happen more often. No hospital beds. 
Hospital quarantine is 14 days. If asymptomatic can be released after 7 days for home isolation if test already turns negative. 

there is no drama being hospitalised for up to 2 weeks. Thousands children in thailand are now alone for many non contagious different conditions. Still, all outsiders are risk for them and same risk for medix. 

as to being negative in a party - up to 7 days at asq hotel. Proposed to be shortened to 3 days, but has to be yet approved. With the new wave it's now rather unlikely. 

as to seating on airplane - only those directly next to positive. So if there is a space between passengers - free seat or isle - no asq. Not those on front or behind are affected. This rule is from november.  Earlier on was a different story

Edited by internationalism