Derogatory Or Not?

smartecosse

Is the word "Paki" derogatory  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Damm 40% Think that calling someone a paki is cool? Must be allot of racists visiting the forum. You know there are allot more closet bigots than you may think. I never realized it till I started playing MMoRPGs (online games like World of Warcraft) or posting to You Tube. But take you tube for example, the amount of times people have called me Nigger on line has no joke got to be a 1000 to one ratio to how many times someone has had the balls to say it to my face.

I think it's just the nature of the spineless, racist peasant. Deep down they know their place in the food chain. Scum, truly dregs.

Genuine question, as I don't play online games, so I don't know: How do they know what colour you are? Do you have a photographic avatar (like here) that one might assume is you, or is there another reason?

Sure, they have gotten VERY advanced these days. The better ones allow you a myriad of customization options everything from skin color to facial pericings :D Check out the attached pic, you can't see my Avatar clearly in it but check out his face in the upper left hand corner. Then take a look at what is being said in the conversation window. We had just went after a very potent bad guy and he had a weapon myself and another person in the group could both use. We rolled for it (the computer randomly generates a number for the each of us between 1 - 100 the highest number wins) and I won. He becomes belligerent and calls me a "Black Nigger" one of many times..

Having read that comment, I can absolutely see why you get pi$ed off. How the h3ll do people get attitudes like that? Is there a cyber equivalent of a smack in the mouth, that you can reply with? :o

Yes even better I used that screen shot to report him to Blizzard and he dissapeared. Either Banned or Suspended for a long time :D

Comments like that are sooooooooo fk'ing adolescent you must really just laugh, no? I'm not giving out advice at all, being a pasty type, but at some point, when some people are just manifest neanderthals, it must be almost funny for you. Is that true, at all?

Hehe Manifest Neanderthal, that is kinda funny. And yes I did laugh when he went there... I mean really, dude, it's just a game and I won the item fair. He was like the cyber equivilant of Kramer :D

Edited by Nebukanezar

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love Americans. Love everywhere I've been and worked there. Sorry, NR, but the Brits do look down on us folks from the colonies. I know. I worked with Brits for several years.

and the Americans don't?

They think they are pretty much superior to everyone else on the planet............

A quick look at the aerospace industry, agriculture, computers, higher education, sports should leave very little doubt as to who is superior.

Largely due to a cultural diversity which allows great opportunities for all races and creeds.

But that flies in the face of popular euro-think doesn't it! :o

Some folk seem to have misread the question.

So what is the PC term for people from the Indian sub-continent including, but not necessarily limited to, Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans and Kashmiris(?)? How do you differentiate in conversation between ethnically diverse groups when you only know their broad ethnicity?

Lets change some names...

So what is the PC term for people from the European sub-continent including, but not necessarily limited to, English, French, Germans, Italians, Spanish. How do you differentiate in conversation between ethnically diverse groups when you only know their broad ethnicity?

You've not thought this through, have you?

I had thought it through but was trying to keep my post to a reasonable length and sticking to the topic which, if I remember correctly, is the vulgar term for Pakistanis. You are correct in that any ethnic grouping becomes difficult to identify if you don't know the specifics. I could assemble a group of Europeans from the countries you mention and unless they were spoken to you wouldn't have a clue as to their nationality and once you start picking from the Medditerranean countries it gets very blurred.

I agree with Endure but believe the correct term should be south Asians to differentiate them from south east Asians (Thais, Vietnamese, Cambodians etc) and west Asians (Iraqis, Iranians, Yemenis etc). Which brings us to a very thorny question. Are the Israelis considered Europeans or west Asians?

I love Americans. Love everywhere I've been and worked there. Sorry, NR, but the Brits do look down on us folks from the colonies. I know. I worked with Brits for several years.

and the Americans don't?

They think they are pretty much superior to everyone else on the planet............

A quick look at the aerospace industry, agriculture, computers, higher education, sports should leave very little doubt as to who is superior.

Largely due to a cultural diversity which allows great opportunities for all races and creeds.

Erm, not really. Keep drinking the Kool Aid though.

By most accounts, the Chinese are becoming larger in your rear view mirror in all of these categories, largely due to the opposite ideology.

By most accounts, the Chinese are becoming larger in your rear view mirror in all of these categories, largely due to the opposite ideology.

When China builds a Boeing 777 that will be the day to get very worried.

Right now they can even build decent motorbikes.

They cant even get pet food right without killing a bunch of peoples pets.

China does have a slight edge in the population dept.

But the USA is China's biggest market. You don't want to kill the goose that lays your golden eggs! :o

But the USA is China's biggest market. You don't want to kill the goose that lays your golden eggs! :o

I am sure they have the specs; they’ll just reverse engineer it like everything else. In fact I think I saw one at Chatachuk Market, called a Bo Wing Lucky 7.

More seriously, they shot down one of their own satellites the other day, just to show they could it. That’s a bit better than crappy motorcycles.

The US is now dependant on the cheap manufacturing in China; their Goose lays more Golden eggs at a better price.

The words you need here "jet" are "SOME" I wont look down on you unless you are 4 foot high???

You know ever since I first went abroad as a child at 13 years old to Italy i have never wanted to stay in the Uk I always found foreigners far more interesting and always wanted to not live in the Uk. I find many Uk people not so nice, not all but many. Now I find them way to "thuggish"

I am sure they have the specs; they'll just reverse engineer it like everything else. In fact I think I saw one at Chatachuk Market, called a Bo Wing Lucky 7.

More seriously, they shot down one of their own satellites the other day, just to show they could it. That's a bit better than crappy motorcycles.

The US is now dependant on the cheap manufacturing in China; their Goose lays more Golden eggs at a better price.

Hm I remember Russia doing a lot of these things like the Tupolov 144 concordski thingumummy

Certain ethnic groups cling to their origins and wear it like a badge.

I often see Pakistanis in the UK, third generation, who have never seen Pakistan first hand, still speak Urdu at home and have a poor grasp of English.

They insist that they are Pakistani although they have no Pakistani passport.

But they're resentful of being called Pakis.

What should the Brits call people who resist integration?

Edited by qwertz

Don't know, but obviously not offensive racist terms.

And there is the rub, dantilley

If people don't bother to get to know our culture and mind set, anything we say to them is potentially offensive.

The fault is not just ours.

Many Indians in the UK are very resentful of the use of the word 'Asian' when used to describe criminals. For instance when groups of pakistani or bangladeshi youths riot it will usually be reported as "Asian youths" which of course includes Indians, Sri Lankans, Chinese etc etc. Substituting 'Asian' for 'South Asian' will make this even more of a problem for Indians.

I often see Pakistanis in the UK, third generation, who have never seen Pakistan first hand, still speak Urdu at home and have a poor grasp of English.

Look at the Ulster Scots who despite living in Ireland over 700 years still class themselves as Scottish. What should we call these British people who resist integration?

Edited by garro

Look at the Ulster Scots who despite living in Ireland over 700 years still class themselves as Scottish. What should we call these Britsh people who resist integration?

In my experience they class themselves as British, Ulsterman and Scots in that order.

I personally don't regard it as a racist term. I understand it can be used in a racist context but just about any word can. As an Australian I regard it in the same category as someone calling me an Aussie. I have been called this both by friend and by foe. I have been singled out and called an Aussie in a hateful and racist way and I have been called an Aussie in a friendly way. The way it is said and the words placed on either side of it render it racist, friendly or indifferent.

For me, Paki is predominately used in reference to the Pakistani cricket team. If any venom is injected into its use it is purely sporting sparring.

The first time I came across it being used purely as a discriminative or racist term was when I was living in the UK. But even then it was via a TV documentary and not first hand.

Look at the Ulster Scots who despite living in Ireland over 700 years still class themselves as Scottish. What should we call these Britsh people who resist integration?

In my experience they class themselves as British, Ulsterman and Scots in that order.

Whatever they choose to call themselves it is obvious they are not very good at integrating. Perhaps the British would show a little more understanding for the Pakastani and other new arrivals who are only following their example. At least they are not marching up and down the streets banging drums.

Edited by garro

Whatever they choose to call themselves it is obvious they are not very good at integrating. Perhaps the British would show a little more understanding for the Pakastani and other new arrivals who are only following their example. At least they are not marching up and down the streets banging drums.

Who says they're no integrating ?

They consider themselves to be British and act as such.

And actually not too far from where I live in London you do get Pakistanis and Bangladeshis marching down the streets banging drums.

The point is, my friend, the place they went to stay in wasn't British until they arrived there. The same way that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere where the British have integrated well.

Why should Pakastanis adopt a culture which offers them so little. I don't see the British rushing to adopt other cultures when they live abroad.

I disagree, have often heard pakistanis in the UK refer to each other as Pakis. It is technically correct, it is after all paki-stan. I myself was a little taken aback when first heard it, then thought it was a good thing for them to reclaim the correct meaning of the word without the racist connotations it often has in the mouths of white brits.

Just like in some films eg Pulp Fiction where blacks refer to each other as niggers.

reclaiming such words is good!

rych

Keebone, I assume you don't live in Thailand but if you did you would probably spend your time complaining about the 'fish & chips' being <deleted> :o

Edited by garro

Look at the Ulster Scots who despite living in Ireland over 700 years still class themselves as Scottish. What should we call these British people who resist integration?

no our ancestry and heritage is scottish, as are our values, eg seperation of church and state.

at the end of the day its only a label, irish, scottish, british, does it really matter?, then i suppose it depends on what side of the road you stand.

i wont even bother talking about the scab labour that emigrated to scotland and chooses to live in ghettos eg coatbridge, croy etc and has no intention of integrating, and constantly complain about the country they choose to live in.

the same people when my wife asked me why we were watching a scottish football team playing on the tv, she could only see the flags of another country in evidence, not one scottish flag to be seen, almost unique, dont you think.

at least the asian immigrants in scotland are for the majority making the effort to integrate, and are actually proud to call themselves scottish or british.

a pity the same couldnt be said for the immigrants who came from just across the water.

Edited by rgs2001uk

no our ancestry and heritage is scottish, as are our values, eg seperation of church and state.

at the end of the day its only a label, irish, scottish, british, does it really matter?, then i suppose it depends on what side of the road you stand.

i wont even bother talking about the scab labour that emigrated to scotland and chooses to live in ghettos eg coatbridge, croy etc and has no intention of integrating, and constantly complain about the country they choose to live in.

the same people when my wife asked me why we were watching a scottish football team playing on the tv, she could only see the flags of another country in evidence, not one scottish flag to be seen, almost unique, dont you think.

at least the asian immigrants in scotland are for the majority making the effort to integrate, and are actually proud to call themselves scottish or british.

a pity the same couldnt be said for the immigrants who came from just across the water.

To be honest I couldn't care less about Irish, British, or Scottish history or your own personal bigotries. My point is that the if Pakastani people choose not to integrate they will only be following the British example.

I think the word Paki is offensive. Thats because I was brought up in Glasgow where it was used to cause offense.

I dont think the word Yank is offensive because I was not brought up in the USA where it appears to be offensive. I have used Yank before and nobody told me it was causing offense.

I think the work Jock is offensive and when somebody uses it I tell them I don't like it. Most of the time they do not mean to cause offense - no harm done.

I would never dream of using the term "black person" but the Thais do and they dont mean offense by it.

I guess what I am saying is that we all have our own backgrounds and perspectives. When we talk to people we are relating those experiences, the person we talking to takes those words and filters them with their own experiences. Multicultural societies will only ever work if people learn to listen and talk to each other honestly.

I guess it is pretty easy to tell when somebody is trying to case you offense. I guess the best example of this was the best man at my wedding who recently got married. He calls his new wife - "my lovely little Paki" (he's a white Jock by the way).

To be honest I couldn't care less about Irish, British, or Scottish history or your own personal bigotries. My point is that the if Pakastani people choose not to integrate they will only be following the British example.

i also couldnt care less about, irish scottish or british history, although i am well versed in it.

as for personal bigotries, i am not the one banging an anti british drum.

as for your point about people choosing not to integrate, only following a british example, the same people could also be said to be following the irish example.

They may very well be following the Irish example but the post that I was replying to was referring to Pakastanis in Britain. I am not aware of any Irish people who have posted on this forum about Pakastanis in Ireland not fitting in. If they did I would argue the same with them.

I didn't realise that pointing out an obvious double standard would pin me as anti-British.

Edited by garro

The point is, my friend, the place they went to stay in wasn't British until they arrived there. The same way that you would be hard pressed to find anywhere where the British have integrated well.

Why should Pakastanis adopt a culture which offers them so little. I don't see the British rushing to adopt other cultures when they live abroad.

The place they went to was British as it's the 2nd biggest island in the British Isles. And the Scots after whom Scotland is named were a tribe that originated from Ireland and crossed over what is now Scotland and invaded and conquered it so the Scots were only going back to their ancient homeland in reality.

I really dont know what more they need to do to integrate in your eyes - speak Gaelic ? maybe the rest of the population should do that 1st,. Become Roman Catholic ? start voting sinn fein ?

As for The British not integrating well I'd disagree to a certain degree there. Take the British in Thailand as an example - many have married into the local community and they allow their children to choose to become Buddhist if they so want. The number of Pakistanis or Bangladeshis who marry into the indigenous population in the UK is absolutely minimal. Women from these communities are often murdered by their own families for having relationships with anyone not chosen by their parents.

And if the British culture offers them so little then why the hel_l did they come here in the 1st place, surely they would have been far better off staying where they were far away from the vile Western corruptive ways they so despise. In fact it's not too late for them to go back.

Edited by keebone

Keebone, I assume you don't live in Thailand but if you did you would probably spend your time complaining about the 'fish & chips' being <deleted> :o

I divide my time between England and Thailand and when in Thailand I eat Thai 90% of the time. The only time I complained about the quality of the fish & chips was when I got food poisoning after eating it at a certain pub on Soi Kaotalo Pattaya. In fact I can heartily recommend the fish & chips at the Pig & Whistle on Soi 7 which I wash down with a nice pint of Guinness.