What do you think is a fair beer price in a bar?

FruitPudding

In your opinion, what beer price is fair in a bar or pub here?  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You think I'm dense? It's just basic market conditions. We put prices up in our hotel over New Year. We're always full. So what. Dense??? LOL, clown.

Apparently, you are not dense. You were acting like a dense customer just there, but I didn't know you are a business owner well versed in these practices.

You put your prices up over New Year for your (valued?) customers just cos you can. Wanna stay here at New Year? Pay stupid prices! I get it. And clearly you get it, too!

It is the same concept with the bars. Wanna drink here in the evening? Pay stupid prices.

Edited by FruitPudding

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Bars and restaurants were closed from April to September this year and longer before.

Anymore misinformation from you and I will ask the moderators to review your content which  is border line misinformation and hate speech.

Beer is not a necessity it is an option. NOBODY forces you to drink at any bar.

You set up a survey as a front for your vitriolic hate of establishments you can't afford which reeks of your personal economic failure in life. You mock and insult people whose business and life has been devastated by covid.

You offer nothing positive to say about Thais and Thailand. I REITERATE: if you can't afford to drink then don't.

Thank you for your input to this discussion.

I set up this survey to see what other members thought of the beer prices here, not a front for anything.

And couldn't food be sold as take away? and online? and delivery? Right, it could. There were no restrictions on that. But when sit in dining was allowed again I think Sep or Oct, how many pubs opened for their customers to come and have a sit down meal? Just a few, and it was a great relief to get out of the condo to do that. But most of the pubs chose to wait months for booze again before opening. It's fine if you don't want to get out of bed for food margins when you are used to more profitable booze margins, but don't expect sympathy.

I don't mock or insult anyone. It's a "for profit" business (as another member just pointed out). I already said I have sympathies for the waitresses (who were out of work), but just not the business owners themselves cos I think they charge their customers lot and pay their staff low salaries. Why should anyone feel sorry for them? But show me where I mocked them, please (cos I didn't).

I can certainly afford to pay expensive beer prices and I do regularly. I am just aware of how expensive it is and obviously most others here are too (if you look at the results of the poll so far).

• Thanks 1

If I'm away from home I will pay whatever for 1 beer then go 7-11 if want more. 

My local pub restaurant I pay 60 for large bottles Chang. 

A small Thai shop set up near my farm charges 52 large bottle Chang. 

I buy large bottles chang by box 575.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You set up a survey as a front for your vitriolic hate of establishments you can't afford which reeks of your personal economic failure in life. You mock and insult people whose business and life has been devastated by covid.

I only see vitriol coming from one poster on this thread.

Not spending foolish amounts of money on easily available products is a sign of financial prudence IMHO.

Sure, I'll pay more in a Sky bar, or a place where I'm surrounded by half naked women.

But most of the time, I prefer to drink in the quiet comfort of my own home.

Edited by BritManToo

I don't know why people think that beer prices are outrageous in bars.  I am looking into setting up a SMALL coffee shop for my girlfriend, already having the equipment needed for my personal use.

In a area with LOW TRAFFIC, the rent starts at 9,000 bt a month for a SMALL shop.  Add electric, water, PRODUCT cost, HELP (?) cost, tables and chairs, the minimum she ( with no staff ) could sell coffee to almost BREAK EVEN with just medium traffic would be 40bt a cup for regular black coffee. ( I drink a variety of premium coffee ).

Having owned businesses in the past - NOT food or beverage, one would be surprised at costs involved keeping doors open.

When I was a youngster, I trained at a local restaurant chain - 5 restaurants, same city ( assistant mgr ) and I base the projected costs quoted in my reply on this training.

12 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

None of above.......60 to 70 baht for a big bottle of Leo. My mates and I pay 60 baht in local Issan bars

Then Enjoy your beer in Isan ???? 

You pay for location, atmosphere and staff, and living in Isan myself, I have to say, I drink very little beer or no beer in the local "pubs" in the village where they serve the local brewed Lao Khao to for 10 baht a shot. 

Even for most parts of Isan, a big Leo or Chang is 110 baht most places, and 70 and up for a small beer. 

I limit myself to bars that charge a maximum of 65 baht for small local beer.

When I enter bars that charge more, I advise the cashier or manager that i will pay 65 baht and give them the option of selling to me or not. The offer is accepted in about 50% of the occasions, usually when the bars are almost empty.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

the rent starts at 9,000 bt a month for a SMALL shop. 

Find a cheaper shop!

If there's not much traffic the price is usually 4kBht/month.

One of the most popular coffee shops in CM (Hom Coffee) charges 25bht/cup.

Edited by BritManToo

On 12/12/2021 at 11:13 AM, FruitPudding said:

I will save my sympathies for people who deserve it.   The waitresses, certainly. They have my sympathy.

Bar owners who have way over charged for years and decades: no sympathy at all. They can have an 8 month holiday. And they did!

They were allowed to open for food, but most flat out refused until booze came back. They wouldn't get out of bed for the lesser income. They got used to the high margin booze business. Only a few pubs opened for food at the first available moment and I appreciate them for that. The others brazenly told me when I messaged them, they wouldn't open until alcohol came back. Obviously, they had enough in the bank and didn't want to get out of bed for a lower income. Up to them.

I have no idea what your job or profession is or was, but my opinion is that you were grossly overpaid.  Slash your compensation by 95% will teach you a lesson. I'll save my sympathy for bar owners (I'm not a bar owner).

Yes, there's some sarc up there^

Perhaps you are unaware how bars and restaurants make a profit. Food has a low margin. Food by delivery service is a loss. Places closed because without booze they couldn't cover variable costs, and most were incurring fixed costs regardless of open or closed. Why should they add variable costs they cannot cover?

You might argue, 'then raise the price on food', but GUARANTEED you would complain about that, too.

I'm guessing only YOUR remuneration is sacrosanct. Every business owner, in your world, is a blood-sucking vampire.

• Like 1

I don't think bar owners should have input into my salary and bonus, and I don't tell them what to charge for a beer. I can sit and pay, or go elsewhere.

Being a diehard Capitalist, I'm all in favor of folks, who put capital on the line, earning a profit. They post prices for their goods and services, and if enough people think they offer value, the business succeeds.

I know the wholesale price of beer in Thailand. Buy at 7-11---a major bulk buyer and seller, besides being owned by a beermaker---and one pays very close to wholesale. Any independent bar or restaurant selling at that price is not going to come close to covering salaries, rent, electricity, insurance, VAT, etc.

Those who don't want to pay what a bar asks can go to 7-11 and sit on the steps outside at Cheap Charlie's al Fresco Pub & Whine Bar.

Edited by Walker88
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Perhaps you are unaware how bars and restaurants make a profit. Food has a low margin.

Western restaurants have a huge mark up on food.

In fact mark up on most western food sold in Thai restaurants is 900%.

Burger and chips cost 10-15bht in raw materials, usually sold for 100-150bht.

Meat pies, 10bht to make, and sold in restaurants for 100bht+.

7-11, BigC, mom & pop stores do well on markups of 10-20%.

Explain why a bar or restaurant needs more profit to survive to me?

Does a bar pay higher rent than the 7-11 next to it?

Do the staff in bars get higher wages than 7-11 staff?

Does the bar pay more for electricity than the 7-11?

As far as I can see most bars have much lower expenses than most 7-11s.

(lower staff costs, less air-con costs)

Bar owners are generally just greedy IMHO.

Edited by BritManToo

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Heard about fresh quality food? I have no idea where you got your numbers from, but how much loss/wastage do you think they have every day and can not serve the next day? You never know if one customer going to show up or 20? In western world they need two people for a small restaurant, here they need 5 people for the same volum of customers. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You really have no idea of the actual costs.  Talk to a restaurant owner. Get a list of all of their costs....rent, staff salary, equipment, raw materials, cutlery, electricity, VAT, water, insurance, basic maintenance, accounting, legal, and a host of other things. The cost of raw materials might not be too high, but the selling price has to not only cover the foodstuff inputs, but contribute to all of those other costs. There's a reason 95% of restaurants fail in the first year, and it's because they post prices based on your 'logic' of what foodstuffs cost. Also, riddle me this:  how much burger meat should Owner Guy order for the next week? Do you think any of the food inputs go bad, or is every restaurant not only 100% efficient, but 100% prescient to know exactly how many 'meat pies' to make?

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1