Custom Duty On Torch

baz69er

Would like some advice on ordering a torch from China ($165) I'm currently in Thailand & was wondering what would be the safest bet regarding customs etc to have it sent here or wait till I'm back in the u.k? 

Thanks in advance...

Baz

The few things I have had from china--if sent by the Manufacturer ---I didn't seem to get any problems, (including all of Lazada's stuff etc) . Parcels sent from a 3rd party (Friends etc) were hit & miss.

As always in these situations---its a guess. At least with the UK you know you would only be charged the correct amount----- but your looking for a free-bee aren't you?

It must be some torch for $165

No rhyme or reason it seem...  some packages are stopped, most aren’t (unless they are DHL).

Recently I purchased an item from Hong Kong (Equivalent to US$70), it never arrived - I wrote to the company, they sent the item again and it took a week to arrive*. 

About a week after that I received a letter from Customs that I had to pay an import tax on the initial order. 

(*I could tell which delivery was which by shipment number). 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(unless they are DHL).

A good point to remember.

I stopped using DHL many years ago.

I was being asked for customs payments but they would not give a receipt.

On one shipment from the UK, I was told that there was duty to pay and that I had to go to Bangkok to collect it.

I live on Koh Samui.

I told them to return to sender. It eventually arrived on Samui with no charges.

Torch or Searchlight  , ...if it's not too big and heavy, just

have it sent China Post , and there is a good chance you

could not be charged anything , by Courier you will definitely

be charged all kind of fees taxes.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

The few things I have had from china--if sent by the Manufacturer ---I didn't seem to get any problems, (including all of Lazada's stuff etc) . Parcels sent from a 3rd party (Friends etc) were hit & miss.

As always in these situations---its a guess. At least with the UK you know you would only be charged the correct amount----- but your looking for a free-bee aren't you?

It must be some torch for $165

Its from a company called Lightmalls which sell mainly torches, batteries chargers etc & yes its expensive but a lot cheaper than buying from the u.k & yeh your right its hit & miss & I could be stung if being held to ransom at customs.....

Cheers

Baz

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Torch or Searchlight  , ...if it's not too big and heavy, just

have it sent China Post , and there is a good chance you

could not be charged anything , by Courier you will definitely

be charged all kind of fees taxes.

regards Worgeordie

Yeh you could call it a searchlight, but a very compact one & not too heavy, ill try & find out which courier company they use......

Thanks

Baz