Renewing a lost driving licence

edwardandtubs

I lost my 5-year driving licence a while ago and it finally expired this April. I would like to renew it but all the online guides I've read say you need to hand in your old licence, which of course I don't have. I do have a photo of it though. Would that be enough? Also, when is the deadline for me to renew it?

Edited by edwardandtubs

If I’m not mistaken you have 12 months to renew before you have to go apply again from scratch. 

At some DLT’s you may require a police report for a lost licence, but at some DLT’s a police report is not required.

It may well be worth trying with the photo of the licence.

You’ll still need proof of address etc.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If I’m not mistaken you have 12 months to renew before you have to go apply again from scratch. 

At some DLT’s you may require a police report for a lost licence, but at some DLT’s a police report is not required.

It may well be worth trying with the photo of the licence.

You’ll still need proof of address etc.

Thanks. Even though I live in Bangkok, I think I'll try that at any easier location like Cha am. 

5 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

But I think you need to book an appointment on line, as they aim to reduce congestion.

I too have heard that, but I have also heard that it's difficult for foreigners to book online (as the system only accepts Thai ID numbers ???? -  is that correct or not ?). 

Other posters have had success just rocking up at DLT.

It could be one of those situations whereby each day is different.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too have heard that, but I have also heard that it's difficult for foreigners to book online (as the system only accepts Thai ID numbers ???? -  is that correct or not ?). 

Other posters have had success just rocking up at DLT.

It could be one of those situations whereby each day is different.

I used a Thai ID, so not sure if it also works with a passport number.  But there were people just turning up, and they were asked to wait, but looks like they were seen quite quickly.

All pretty well organised.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CFCol said:

You do need a medical to renew.

Did mine 6 months ago.

Renewing from 5 years to 5 years ? or 2 years to 2 years or 2 years to 5 years. 

There is apparently a slight difference in requirements when renewing from a 2 year licence to anything else (2 or 5 year) and the Medical Cert is required.

Unless of course that has all changed again, or there are different requirements in different provinces at different DLT’s requested by different staff (typical of requirements in Thailand, same-same but nid-noi-different).

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Renewing from 5 years to 5 years ? or 2 years to 2 years or 2 years to 5 years. 

There is apparently a slight difference in requirements when renewing from a 2 year licence to anything else (2 or 5 year) and the Medical Cert is required.

Unless of course that has all changed again, or there are different requirements in different provinces at different DLT’s requested by different staff (typical of requirements in Thailand, same-same but nid-noi-different).

Yes they did change it again, if you are renewing a 5 year to a 5 year you will need a medical certificate.