Need a Wall Scanner / Stud finder. Which one works??

MJCM

We need to drill a hole in a wall and to be certain there are no wires/pipes etc in the place where we want to drill we want to buy a Wall Scanner / Stud Finder.

Checked on the usual suspects (Thai Watsadu, Global, Home Pro, Lazada) and they have many ranging from 3xx THB to 6xxx THB.

Did anyone buy one that works and where did you buy it!

TiA

Thx, going to use them on AAC Block wall.

Will have a look at that Bosch, costs isn't that much of an object if the ... thing works ????

If we hit an electric wire or something else, the costs will be a lot higher (labor / new wall / new paint / new tiles etc etc)

4 hours ago, MJCM said:

If we hit an electric wire... the costs will be a lot higher (labor / new wall / new paint / new tiles etc etc)

That's what it will cost if you're lucky...

I've been putting off getting one, let me know what you get and how it works. My sister's house is hollow concrete blocks on slab and it works for her. 

Why is it always the last hole of a mounting plate that hits rebar as soon as you start drilling? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been looking for one of those but the D-tect 120 (the 150 is 20k+) seems to be only be sold on Lazada.

And for a price of around 7k THB Id rather buy it from a reputable shop then from Lazada.

We are in no rush to drill that hole, and I will try and buy one of the cheaper models (Thai Watsadu has them) and see what the brings. Will report back!!

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

And for a price of around 7k THB Id rather buy it from a reputable shop then from Lazada.

There are a wide variety of reputable shops that use Lazada as an order taker and delivery platform, one of these is https://www.waantong.com 

Lazada is an aggregator of sellers some have no backup others are well established business. Lazada is an easy way to buy from a whole range of sellers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I bought a King Kong branded one from Thai Watsadu last week. Four modes for finding studs, metal, conduit and ac wiring. Was around 900 baht and worked great.

Picture and or model number? 

Can you tell how deep it will detect? 

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Picture and or model number? 

Can you tell how deep it will detect? 

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/เครื่องสแกนผนัง-GIANT-KINGKONG-PRO-รุ่น-DT-8002-สีน้ำเงิน-60268370

It detected metal studs behind regular thickness wallboard. It also detected some roof supporting steelwork that was maybe 6 or 8 inches beyond that in free air. I haven't used all the features on it, just what I needed to know for making holes in the wallboard.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

https://www.thaiwatsadu.com/th/product/เครื่องสแกนผนัง-GIANT-KINGKONG-PRO-รุ่น-DT-8002-สีน้ำเงิน-60268370

It detected metal studs behind regular thickness wallboard. It also detected some roof supporting steelwork that was maybe 6 or 8 inches beyond that in free air. I haven't used all the features on it, just what I needed to know for making holes in the wallboard.

We bought this today and it failed to detect anything. Having it circled all around the wall and it was giving alarms all the time. Even on a wall that we know that it has nothing, it gave alarms. (and yes we used all modes "Stud, Metal, Deep, AC")

We also looked for the Bosch and no store had it, Thai Watsadu had 1 other device, but doubt I am going to buy that as well! (Price of this device was 990 THB same price as on the Website)

55555.thumb.JPG.d064fded4fbe5eb7a550ef24594ade78.JPG

Edit: @Yellowtail send me your address via PM and I will send you that device for free. It's useless for my purposes!!

Edited by MJCM

22 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are a wide variety of reputable shops that use Lazada as an order taker and delivery platform, one of these is https://www.waantong.com 

Lazada is an aggregator of sellers some have no backup others are well established business. Lazada is an easy way to buy from a whole range of sellers.

Thx for this. Found it on their website (8.400 THB) link: https://www.waantong.com/D-TECT120.html ) but when clicking on the Lazada link it says "not available". Will call them on Monday.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, MJCM said:

Thx for this. Found it on their website (8.400 THB) link: https://www.waantong.com/D-TECT120.html ) but when clicking on the Lazada link it says "not available". Will call them on Monday.

Update: Found them on Lazada, contacted them through Lazada and they said that this as is (7400 THB) DOES NOT have a battery so you must buy the Battery separately  :sad:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.5TkK6

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

4 AA batteries, that's a real deal breaker...

I thought so as well but apparently NOT this one, they came back to me with that I need to buy the Charger and the Battery (+/- 1400 THB additional. 760 THB for the Battery and 580 THB for the charger)

Edit: Our niece is looking for me in Pattaya and in Bangkok if they sell it there.

Edited by MJCM

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

I thought so as well but apparently NOT this one, they came back to me with that I need to buy the Charger and the Battery (+/- 1400 THB additional. 760 THB for the Battery and 580 THB for the charger)

Edit: Our niece is looking for me in Pattaya and in Bangkok if they sell it there.

Well, the link says:

"Dual power source: can be operated both with 10.8 V-LI battery and with standard alkaline batteries",

and that is repeated on Bosch's own Thailand website.

%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B7%E0%

• Confused 1

Yeah but if the seller says that in the chat who am I to doubt that????? I guess he wants me to buy it extra , but the comment was “it doesn’t come with battery” i asked then “how much for the battery” and then they replied with the price I mentioned. 

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Yeah but if the seller says that in the chat who am I to doubt that????? I guess he wants me to buy it extra , but the comment was “it doesn’t come with battery” i asked then “how much for the battery” and then they replied with the price I mentioned. 

He is right, it doesn't come with the battery. You can either buy the battery and charger separately, or you can run it on alkaline batteries.

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

This is part of the chat with the seller. He doesn't mention alkaline batteries (I think he wants me to buy their charger and battery as well ????).

2.thumb.jpg.6b870e7fced85ec386f7a918c959abcc.jpg

Niece went to HomePro in Bangkok and also NO Stock. Have to order and no idea when it will arrive. They confirmed that can you use with Battery and or alkaline Battery as well.

Edited by MJCM

My wife just had a discussion with the builder of our house.

He doesn't remember where the pipes are, but for 5000 THB he will drill the hole and if there is damage to a pipe (electric or water) he will fix it (his own expenses)

So for him it's easy money or a moneypit but that said if he hits something it will be a nightmare for us as well ????(That's why we agreed to have him do it after New Years)

Edited by MJCM

On 12/18/2021 at 3:07 PM, MJCM said:

We bought this today and it failed to detect anything. Having it circled all around the wall and it was giving alarms all the time. Even on a wall that we know that it has nothing, it gave alarms. (and yes we used all modes "Stud, Metal, Deep, AC")

We also looked for the Bosch and no store had it, Thai Watsadu had 1 other device, but doubt I am going to buy that as well! (Price of this device was 990 THB same price as on the Website)

55555.thumb.JPG.d064fded4fbe5eb7a550ef24594ade78.JPG

Edit: @Yellowtail send me your address via PM and I will send you that device for free. It's useless for my purposes!!

Why don't you try and be really clever and take it back to TW for a refund?

If budget is a constraint, you can always resort to the tried and tested 1/16th" drilled pilot hole method. Spackle (Polyfilla) is cheap here.

Mine still works just fine so I don't need another one. Since my first post, I have subsequently located studs in the ceiling so I could properly locate points for concealed lighting and a ceiling fan. Doing the car port the day after tomorrow.

On 12/20/2021 at 7:39 AM, MJCM said:

Update: Found them on Lazada, contacted them through Lazada and they said that this as is (7400 THB) DOES NOT have a battery so you must buy the Battery separately  :sad:

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.5TkK6

I ran that "BOSCH เครื่องสแกนผนัง รุ่น D-TECT 120 - สีฟ้า" through the online translator and it came up with "seen you coming"

• Haha 1

Why don't you try and be really clever and take it back to TW for a refund?

If budget is a constraint, you can always resort to the tried and tested 1/16th" drilled pilot hole method. Spackle (Polyfilla) is cheap here.

Mine still works just fine so I don't need another one. Since my first post, I have subsequently located studs in the ceiling so I could properly locate points for concealed lighting and a ceiling fan. Doing the car port the day after tomorrow.

I think it doesn't work for me is because the house is not build with those standard bricks but with AAC 10cm blocks. I have not tested it on the ceiling, yeah I think it would work there, but just not what I need it for unfortunately!!

I already offered it to YellowTail to send it to him for free, as it maybe works for him, but no response!

I will give it to our builder (he can maybe find a use for it)

Edited by MJCM

I ran that "BOSCH เครื่องสแกนผนัง รุ่น D-TECT 120 - สีฟ้า" through the online translator and it came up with "seen you coming"

My advice would be not to use that Online Translator of yours for anything important ????:laugh: