Drill Press – advise on buying.

ellobo

I am going to buy a drill press for hobby woodworking and light steel work.  I have never purchased one before so I have little knowledge of what to look for.

I live near Khon Kaen so my shopping will be Global or Home Hub, as Home Pro does not carry drill presses.  The ones that I have seen at Global and some at Home Hub seem, how should I put this, a little fragile.  Home Hub has a couple that look a little heftier.

Any advise on what to look for, or another source, will be appreciated.

TIA.

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

You don't mention what size chuck you want...but I bought a 13mm one off Shopee (Lazada have them as well) for just over Baht 2k and it's been fine, I have bought a larger/better chuck as the one supplied was junk though.

Drill Press.jpg

I have the same one and yes the chuck is not very good,what kind did you buy and where please?

The motor is not very powerful but for the price i cant really complain,i have had it for over a year and it has paid for itself a few times already.

7 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

Check and see if there is a Tool Pro outlet in Khon Kaen, I much preferred it in Udon Thani to Global House. It's has more trade quality equipment and a much better selection of tools

There isn’t. It’s local to Udon Thani not national, the owner has a couple or 5 businesses in Udon 

7 hours ago, jvs said:

I have the same one and yes the chuck is not very good,what kind did you buy and where please?

I got it off Lazada...much better then the supplied one

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i336288358-s651272525.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&laz_trackid=2:mm_150551077_51752951_2010952694:clkgg2knl1fn5d77mtjd9q&mkttid=clkgg2knl1fn5d77mtjd9q

Drill Chuck.jpg

• Thanks 1

I saw a test in a foreign language about these things.

A couple of points to look for:

- How stable is the "frame"? (I am not sure if that is the correct term) I.e. does it bend or is there too much clearance when you move it up and to the sides?

- What are the dimensions which you need? I.e. if need only 100mm up then don't buy one which allows 300mm because it will be less stable

- Check the tolerance of the chuck. Is it 100% straight? Does it move to the sides?

- And look for a powerful motor if you want to drill something thick.

• 3 weeks later...