Benchakitti Park to partially open after major renovation

webfact

267742639_10158411663677050_7424727796283478245_n.jpg

The Benchakitti Forest Park in Bangkok will soon open its doors for some of the newly renovated parts, serving as a key green space for residents of Bangkok. The Prime Minister has officially witnessed the delivery of Phases 2-3 renovated areas between related agencies, before the planned reopening.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha witnessed the delivery ceremony of the newly renovated Benchakitti Forest Park from the Phases 2-3 renovation campaign between the Royal Thai Army to the Treasury Department, and between the Treasury Department to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

He expressed his satisfaction with the renovation campaign while recommending the adoption of gardening models from foreign countries to help improve the scenery.

The renovation project of this downtown park in Bangkok originally started in 2016, followed by Phase 2 in 2020. The full renovation of this park is expected to complete in April 2022, with the general public welcomed back to the park following the launch of a campaign celebrating the birthday of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit, the Queen Mother, on 12 August next year.

The fully renovated park will sit on roughly 178 acres (450 rai) of land, with trees and water features occupying 85% of the parking area, with jogging and cycling tracks, as well as excursion lanes available to the general public.

The renovation project involves the planting of additional 8,725 trees, featuring some 350 different plant varieties.

Another prominent feature of the newly renovated Benchakitti Forest Park is a 1.6-kilometer elevated walkway connecting the park with Lumphini Park, creating one big green space in downtown Bangkok.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158411666937050

NBTlo.jpg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

One of the better ideas. More green space. Just what Bangkok needs to get away from all the traffic and relax.

Built on top of a century of tobacco processing chemicals, with zero soil remediation. This is thailand, rug meet broom.

BTW, the primary "contractor" is the royal thai army. Grafticus Maximus.

1 hour ago, wordchild said:

i have walked  around sections of the new park and i think its going to be a stunning when fully opened

Yeah, it'll look good for a few years, then ever so slowly decay.

The design, to me looks like some cheap knock-off of a Singaporean-style space. 

I live nearby, have followed this effort closely for years, and have observed the construction on a nearly daily basis.

It'll be OK. "Stunning"? Doubtful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Any tree planted is a good one. 

"He expressed his satisfaction with the renovation campaign while recommending the adoption of gardening models from foreign countries to help improve the scenery."

and taking advice from foreigners??  Amazing Thailand.  

On 12/18/2021 at 3:43 AM, webfact said:

The fully renovated park will sit on roughly 178 acres (450 rai) of land, with trees and water features occupying 85% of the parking area, with jogging and cycling tracks, as well as excursion lanes available to the general public.

Sounds wonderful.  Any chance of an area for inline skating?

On 12/17/2021 at 7:37 PM, josephbloggs said:

Welcome to TVF, the forum where positive news stories are received with great and unnecessary negativity.  Really quite sad.

I don't understand the negativity, even before this latest development Suan Ben has been lovely.

The walking path around the lake is very nice and there is beautiful shaded area with paths as well.

The path to Lumphini has been there for a while and is nice and convenient.

The development working it's way west into the tobacco monopoly area has been done with amazing speed.  I was in BKK in January one year and the area was bus parking and sheet metal buildings and returned in May and it had been transformed with hundreds of young trees and lovely lawns.

I have spent a lot of time in that park and it is very nice.

• Like 1