Internet slowdown?

Inderpland

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Done a speedtest?

Yes, but the tests don't show any slowdown here in Thailand. They rarely do. When I test against a sever in Europe or the US the results are a different matter, from acceptable to useless.

3BB and the other ISP's know full well when there is a slowdown in the connection abroad but they never admit it.

I've got the 3BB Fiber optic (Phratumnak). At the moment it's normal, but I find it slows to a crawl ever 2-3 months for no apparent reason and requires a call to 3BB. They always blame it on a "bad connection at the street box" and fix it within a day or two.

Full service "normal" is something close to the 1Gig/second advertised inside Thailand and 20-30% of that to the USA. There is quite a bit of variation between testing servers chosen on the USA side. I assume there are many routes data can take between Thailand and foreign servers. 

Basic maintenance may help.

Clear cached data for all apps from the settings/storage menu

Ensure apps are completely closed after use

If you have a system cleaner ie Clean Master use it regularly

Once a week. turn off and unplug the router for 10-15 minutes.

This clears the memory cache in the router.

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

Is the android box connected via WiFi?  If so, move it a short distance from where it is and try again.  

When my internet is working well I use the WIFI connection. I do have a LAN cable that I connect to it as well when I attempt to watch the football games but it never makes much of a difference. If the speed is down it starts buffring even when the LAN cable is attached.

Just now, fulhamster said:

Basic maintenance may help.

Clear cached data for all apps from the settings/storage menu

Ensure apps are completely closed after use

If you have a system cleaner ie Clean Master use it regularly

Once a week. turn off and unplug the router for 10-15 minutes.

This clears the memory cache in the router.

I cleare the cache regularly and turn the unit off every day. Don't know how to ensure apps are closed except to exit them.

1 minute ago, Inderpland said:

I cleare the cache regularly and turn the unit off every day. Don't know how to ensure apps are closed except to exit them.

Drag your mouse cursor up from the bottom of the screen, there should be a row of symbols across the bottom.

Select the square box, it will show all closed apps running in the background.

Click on the X in the top right corner of each one to close it completely.

Which box are you using ?? Many are only capable of receiving up to 100mb. even if 3BB are sending 1000

Ookla speedtest will show you

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

What is buffering?

You Tube streams

Netflix streams

AMAZON Prime Streams

Disney streams

Legal locally available subscription and free tv channels

Everything on my Android box (basically Western TV channels). If I watch Youtube or stream Netflix directly on my TV there is no buffring.

29 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

Drag your mouse cursor up from the bottom of the screen, there should be a row of symbols across the bottom.

Select the square box, it will show all closed apps running in the background.

Click on the X in the top right corner of each one to close it completely.

Which box are you using ?? Many are only capable of receiving up to 100mb. even if 3BB are sending 1000

Ookla speedtest will show you

It was all working fine up to last Sunday when I was able to watch football with little or no buffring so I don't think it's the capacity of the box.

The box is called HK1 btw.

Over the past week or so, my internet with TOT keeps dropping out for a few seconds. Very annoying as I'm studying through webinars. Spoke to someone on video call for about an hour on Friday and it dropped 5 or 6 times.

I think I'll do as suggested earlier and give the router a rest. See what happens...

1 hour ago, Inderpland said:

It's an Android box loaded with hundreds of channels.

Probably illegal IPTV with kodi or similar sharing solution. 

Probably illegal IPTV with kodi or similar sharing solution.  Pay a subscription, then you can blame the provider.

3 hours ago, Inderpland said:

When my internet is working well I use the WIFI connection. I do have a LAN cable that I connect to it as well when I attempt to watch the football games but it never makes much of a difference. If the speed is down it starts buffring even when the LAN cable is attached.

Ok.  The use of a LAN cable is the best connection you can have.

Could there be leaches on your internet?

If you can go into your router, you will be able to see connected devices.  If you see unknown devices on your network, change the WiFi password and lock them out.

If you can not go into your router, go to the Google Play Store on your phone and install the "Fing" app and scan your network.  It will list all the connected devices.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Over the past week or so, my internet with TOT keeps dropping out for a few seconds. Very annoying as I'm studying through webinars. Spoke to someone on video call for about an hour on Friday and it dropped 5 or 6 times.

I think I'll do as suggested earlier and give the router a rest. See what happens...

I'm switching my router off pretty much daily so that should not be an issue for me but if you rarely do this then you should as it's recommended to turn it off for several minutes a few times each week.

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Ok.  The use of a LAN cable is the best connection you can have.

Could there be leaches on your internet?

If you can go into your router, you will be able to see connected devices.  If you see unknown devices on your network, change the WiFi password and lock them out.

If you can not go into your router, go to the Google Play Store on your phone and install the "Fing" app and scan your network.  It will list all the connected devices.  

Been through all the router menus but no connected devices list fould. Will give the "Fing' app a try instead.

1 minute ago, Inderpland said:

Been through all the router menus but no connected devices list fould. Will give the "Fing' app a try instead.

You should find connected devices under "network" or similar.  Obviously, the device you are using to view the router software should show up somewhere in the software.  

The "Fing" app is a great app.  Easy and quick install, and scan of the network.  Don't forget, it has to be on your router's WiFi signal.  

• Like 1

I think this problem has been occurring nationwide for more than a week.

Here in BKK, I see AIS, 3BB and TRUE all having intermittent problems.

Long connect times, spurious throughput.

I suspect the "firewall that does not exist" has been poorly configured recently.

• Like 1