On racism and stereotyping in Thailand

rooster59

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

O.K.

What privilege's have I received that minorities haven't received ?

The usual answer to this is that by simply being a certain color - doors opened for you that wouldn't normally have opened. 

That regardless of the background of a person, their achievements were made by stealing them from someone of a different color.

Lewis Hamilton thinks this, so does Jamie Foxx, Beyonce, Whoopi Goldberg..... you get the picture.

It's just a means of dividing people. 

• Sad 1

On 12/19/2021 at 11:15 AM, Havenstreet1940 said:

Great column again MrRooster but I must take you to task for not mentioning the passing of my dear old pal 'Jethro' ,who succumbed' tohis fight with the dreaded Covid, one of the funniest Non PC comedians the UK has ever produced. His popularity amongst the UK public was immense and the packed Theatres, consisting of the 'silent majority' was always evidence of this.

RIP mate, Denzil and I and many others mourn your passing

OH!!! I hadn't heard that Covid had got good old Jethro. As you say one of the funniest comedians the UK had. Only one of late the could make laugh uncontrollably at his little stories.

RIP Jethro, thanks for the many laughs.

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

The usual answer to this is that by simply being a certain color - doors opened for you that wouldn't normally have opened. 

That regardless of the background of a person, their achievements were made by stealing them from someone of a different color.

Lewis Hamilton thinks this, so does Jamie Foxx, Beyonce, Whoopi Goldberg..... you get the picture.

Doors opened like being refused a job as a fire fighter , because they already had enough White fire fighters and wanted some non white ones .

I have never stolen anything from anyone , if you are referring to colonialism, then Lewis Hamilton has received the same benefits that I have done , because he is also British, just like me  

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

O.K.

What privilege's have I received that minorities haven't received ?

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

That one or a few make it is inconsequential and to point to the exceptions to try to prove that racism doesn't exist is just deflection and wilful ignorance. Why does positive discrimination exist? Answers like lefty woke governments are just trite and ignorant.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, the Left keep racism going because it benefits their cause .

They convince the minorities  that if you aren't a lefty, then you a racist .

They attack anyone who isnt a lefty , by labelling them as being racist .

The Left use their invented racism to further their own cause 

Asa a lefty I'm fascinated to know how racism benefits my cause. How come your team is  so fond of conspiracy theories like this but NEVER putting forward a shred of evidence to support the lies. I must be missing out on the lolly bags, nobody told me how it supports my cause. Maybe you could since you made the allegation?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

That one or a few make it is inconsequential and to point to the exceptions to try to prove that racism doesn't exist is just deflection and wilful ignorance. Why does positive discrimination exist? Answers like lefty woke governments are just trite and ignorant.

I didn't say that racism didn't exist. 

It is simply the exception, not the rule.

It is not the default state of man.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

They don't understand what racism is, they all live in a state of denial and are reduced to citing petty examples which aren't even relevant to avoid having to confront the elephant in the room. It's pointless arguing with these people. What you will never get them to do is even admit that real racism where the majority white population, of which they are a member, enjoys a privileged position in society vs the minorities. They need to deny it even exists or engage in petty examples of whataboutism to diminish the problem..

Yeah - this is pretty extreme left.

But - if a person is in a privileged position because of his family history - which is quite normal - then they will have a privileged position in society. That sums up pretty much everywhere.

Now - if you were white in this position - why would you be racist because of what you inherited? 

Any privilege bestowed to white people right now - could come from a racist system - but it would not mean all people in that system are racist. 

You cannot deny that in the US, the poorer areas are black. I once lived in Knoxville and every kfc, mcd, gas station employee was black. Not a single office employee was black and there was a black engineer. When I pointed it out to the CFO, she said "Oh. they have the same opportunity as everyone else". So I asked "So you are saying they chose a life as a KFC server"

So poor areas do not attract good teachers, so the kids don't get a good education, so they fail there SATS, can't UNI, no jobs - It is as much a georaphical issue as anything else. Now - I don't doubt that racism played a part in how black people seemed to be funneled to live in certain areas. Maybe some compensation is due.

But it still doesn't make everyone a racist.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

Yeah - this is pretty extreme left.

But - if a person is in a privileged position because of his family history - which is quite normal - then they will have a privileged position in society. That sums up pretty much everywhere.

Now - if you were white in this position - why would you be racist because of what you inherited? 

Any privilege bestowed to white people right now - could come from a racist system - but it would not mean all people in that system are racist. 

You cannot deny that in the US, the poorer areas are black. I once lived in Knoxville and every kfc, mcd, gas station employee was black. Not a single office employee was black and there was a black engineer. When I pointed it out to the CFO, she said "Oh. they have the same opportunity as everyone else". So I asked "So you are saying they chose a life as a KFC server"

So poor areas do not attract good teachers, so the kids don't get a good education, so they fail there SATS, can't UNI, no jobs - It is as much a georaphical issue as anything else. Now - I don't doubt that racism played a part in how black people seemed to be funneled to live in certain areas. Maybe some compensation is due.

But it still doesn't make everyone a racist.

Of course. Past disadvantage persists in the form of socio-economic disadvantage. The racism  hasn't gone away though. We still see plenty of manifestations of it. Unfortunately, what has been learned at home is often imported into Thailand by expats.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, The Cipher said:

I think the issue here is the numerous AseanNow regulars want to feel superior, but without the difficult work of actually self-actualizing in any meaningful way.

Too many big words for me.  I be naught but a humble pirate.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:51 PM, Kanada said:

You’ve been married 5 times…why do these women keep divorcing you….are they racist??

ps: I could be wrong but I don’t think racism is about being someone’s equal

Nah!!!   They all complained about something banging on their chin all the time. :cheesy:

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

When I was a foreigner,

I am presuming you still look like one and the change is internal.... I would expect they still would initially be looking to charge full price/ falang price/ foreigner price whatever. 

Don’t call me a racist because you didn’t go to school…chose selling drugs or becoming a thief because you thought it was the easy way out!! You are the one that bought gold chains and gold teeth with your money calling it “an investment”while I bought blue stocks with mine!

You spent your 20’s and 30’s and maybe 40’s in jail because you made poor choices not because I was privileged!

You paid lawyers while I paid tuitions!

You were spending your evenings in clubs while I spent mine balancing ledgers and looking for better ways to make money…you spent your weekend laying on the beach while I spent mine building a playhouse for my kids and mowing the lawn!

You drove a Cadillac to the unemployment office while I drive a used Toyota Forerunner to work and when I bought a used holiday trailer for my family holiday you bought another gold chain and a tear drop tattoo for the corner of your eye!

Dont call me privileged Boss  because I had the balls to borrow a couple of million dollars to build a company where you could have worked if you’d gone to class and had even the slightest of common sense!! Where were you when I was spending midnights trying to stay afloat and pay back my business loans…you were drinking beer with your buddies laughing at what a sucker I was to pay taxes and lay down for the man!

One of us was privileged alright….one of us was racist as well but it wasn’t me…I was too darned busy!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Don’t call me a racist because you didn’t go to school…chose selling drugs or becoming a thief because you thought it was the easy way out!! You are the one that bought gold chains and gold teeth with your money calling it “an investment”while I bought blue stocks with mine!

You spent your 20’s and 30’s and maybe 40’s in jail because you made poor choices not because I was privileged!

You paid lawyers while I paid tuitions!

You were spending your evenings in clubs while I spent mine balancing ledgers and looking for better ways to make money…you spent your weekend laying on the beach while I spent mine building a playhouse for my kids and mowing the lawn!

You drove a Cadillac to the unemployment office while I drive a used Toyota Forerunner to work and when I bought a used holiday trailer for my family holiday you bought another gold chain and a tear drop tattoo for the corner of your eye!

Dont call me privileged Boss  because I had the balls to borrow a couple of million dollars to build a company where you could have worked if you’d gone to class and had even the slightest of common sense!! Where were you when I was spending midnights trying to stay afloat and pay back my business loans…you were drinking beer with your buddies laughing at what a sucker I was to pay taxes and lay down for the man!

One of us was privileged alright….one of us was racist as well but it wasn’t me…I was too darned busy!

An impression collection of negative stereotypes you've dished out. It seems you're imagining comic book people rather than real ones.

• Like 2

"You're driving a car, not an elephant, Buddy!"  

Seems like anything can be racist nowadays. The woke West is ridiculously insanely sensitive.

I used to be too. Now, after having lived in Thailand a long time, I say stuff it. When in Rome.

Really, the locals here are so racist they don't even get the concept of racism.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/1/2022 at 3:16 PM, Smoothsailing1 said:

Racism is not a real thing. People don't perceive melanin content in skin colour and respond pathologically.

The issue is group behavior, of foreign groups, and evolved in group self interest.

Countries which have swallowed the "racism" doctrine are on a permanent quest to diminish the ownership of their own people of their own country. I wouldn't wish that on Thai people. 

Racism is very real. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 6:59 PM, Jingthing said:

Racism is very real. 

Absolutely, particularly in non-western countries.

East Asians tend to be racist against Africans and Middle Easterns. I am sure they don't really like whites either.

Middle Easterns don't like westerners 

Blacks in Africa despise the white minority and are openly racist.

I had a Latino guy today tell me he likes Thailand but not Thais.

Eastern Europe, openly racist.

Some parts of Europe too, Greece and Italy, for example 

The entire non-western world is basically openly and unashamedly racist. They don't seem to think it's wrong and it is just a normal part of life.

Only in the West (UK, America etc etc) do we think racism is wrong.

Edited by 2009

Another interesting and enjoyable comment. I enjoy your comments every week.

I would like to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

And look forward to reading the comments for many years although I suspect I will stop reading them before you stop being able to write them.