On racism and stereotyping in Thailand

rooster59

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

We should not whince when someone claims they are not racist, as if everyone is racist or that racist is the default state of mind.

Thats leftist, divisive claptrap.

Don't whince just call them a lier as we are all racist - nothing to do with politics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cipher said:

The number of overtly racist comments on this board is mind blowingly high. "The Russians" "The Indians "The Chinese", it's nuts.

But at the same time I don't think it's racism born of malice so much as it is an expression of frustration by older people who have seen people of other cultures advance in the world and feel that said advancement has come at their own expense.

Many older farang don't feel as important as they used to, and that loss in status has made them bitter. ????‍♂️

My stature hasn't changed much ... my excuse is I am just getting old and therefore a cranky old bar steward

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Racism ... invented by racist for their personal agenda.

2 adjectives is more than enough for fellow humans ... nice & A-hole.  Don't need to tell anyone or know anything else about you.  

Invented by people to describe a scourge afflicting society.

As a student of the human psyche for 30 years I would refer ALL READERS HERE to Jane Elliott's work around racism. Google her and watch her 'blue eyed blonde hair' and other videos.

If you didn't/don't think you were or are till either tacitly or actively racist I guarantee, if you are open minded and self-reflective enough, you'll change your opinion of yourselves and your upbringing after you do.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

As a student of the human psyche for 30 years I would refer ALL READERS HERE to Jane Elliott's work around racism. Google her and watch her 'blue eyed blonde hair' and other videos.

If you didn't/don't think you were or are till either tacitly or actively racist I guarantee, if you are open minded and self-reflective enough, you'll change your opinion of yourselves and your upbringing after you do.

Nothing in her work supports your contention that all people are inherently racist. All she did was incite tribalism (nationalism) in a group of children. It's obvious that humans have visibly different physical traits but her propaganda did not establish that racism was inherent in the human condition.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

On the plus side, there haven't been any "blackface" faux pas for quite a while.

And Nazi cosplay seems to have ebbed, although that might be down to COVID-related school closures?

Cosplay is costume play , people just dress up in various uniforms , it doesn't signify any political beliefs  

• Like 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Cosplay is costume play , people just dress up in various uniforms , it doesn't signify any political beliefs  

That doesn't preclude it from being offensive whether intentional or not which is why black face, golliwogs and wearing of nazi uniforms is either illegal or frowned upon by society, not just the "woke" leftist fringe.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Card said:

The only valid judges that someone is not racist is not yourself. They are those who are the victims of racism because, unless you are subjected to racism, you will hardly notice that it is going on in front of your eyes and ears.

First we need to define racism.  We all make judgments about people based on how they look, sound and act to decide how to interact with them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this as we can then adjust our behaviour and be more empathetic with their culture. 

Racism has been mixed up with the totally different act of being prejudiced in a negative way. Although racism is pre judging people, it doesn't have to be in a bad way or xenophobic. Positive racism is also a thing which can be counter productive. People being given an unfair advantage is resented either way. Education, equality and respect are the way forward and progress is being made around the world but Thailand has a long way to go.

Then there is the question that no western politician would ever be able to ask - would  Thais (or insert country of your choice) be happier if there where a minimal amount of foreigners in the country or should the borders be relaxed? 

How someone answers that question is more of an indicator of racism - I, like most people, am racist. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, chang1 said:

First we need to define racism.  We all make judgments about people based on how they look, sound and act to decide how to interact with them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this as we can then adjust our behaviour and be more empathetic with their culture. 

Racism has been mixed up with the totally different act of being prejudiced in a negative way. Although racism is pre judging people, it doesn't have to be in a bad way or xenophobic. Positive racism is also a thing which can be counter productive. People being given an unfair advantage is resented either way. Education, equality and respect are the way forward and progress is being made around the world but Thailand has a long way to go.

Then there is the question that no western politician would ever be able to ask - would  Thais (or insert country of your choice) be happier if there where a minimal amount of foreigners in the country or should the borders be relaxed? 

How someone answers that question is more of an indicator of racism - I, like most people, am racist. 

Your proposition that every politician would respond to that question in the negative is flawed. Only racists would, Ask that question of a Singapore politician or any politician of a minority ethnic origin in any country.