Get a cane, old man!

It's really an excellent and entertaining post, thank you.

I am a student of aging. It's good that it happens gradually; if it happened all of a sudden it would be too much of a shock.

I'm in my late 60's, still rather vigorous, but I notice all the signs of imminent decline. Enjoy it while you can.

Paul Laew

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Paulaew said:

It's really an excellent and entertaining post, thank you.

I am a student of aging. It's good that it happens gradually; if it happened all of a sudden it would be too much of a shock.

I'm in my late 60's, still rather vigorous, but I notice all the signs of imminent decline. Enjoy it while you can.

Paul Laew

Glad you enjoyed reading my writing. I carry it on and off, and periodically use it. Sometimes only a fraction of the week do I actually need it. A curb, a rabid farang, that last remaining seat on the city train... Since I walk 3-5 hours a day, it is indeed a handy tool.

A crutch? You betcha! But a dignified one. Come to think of it there is even a sport of 'cane fighting for the more macho or Kung <deleted> inclined. I was surprised to see lots of such weapons for sale in Belgrade. Illegal in Canada I believe, but protected in many US cities as defensive weapons. Don't get me started...

The only downside I can see is reducing the likelihood of my doing squats so that it's never required. Also eliminating my joining the Ironman contests.

• Haha 2

Both my knees are bad bad bad, hurt like hell all day everyday, I also have a cane, not for aesthetic reasons but because I need it, I struggle with one step which we have to get into the house, I know they are very unlikely to get any better, infact worse is on the cards, I struggle to get into the car these days.

Back in the day, I had a collapsing cane (not under load - it never let me down) so that I could walk as far as my bicycle.  Since the hip operation, I am as spritely and nimble as you could ask for, and can now walk unaided to the pub, though I am still no Rudolph Nureyev.

Anyway, the spring-loaded collapsing cane was great for hobbling to your bicycle, and ideal for brandishing at young ne’erdowells - so long as there were not more of them than you could shake a stick at.

I lent it to our Project Director when he hurt his knee hiking in the hills, and perhaps should have reminded him today, at his celebration of his second retirement, as I doubt now I will see him again, nor the stick.

To avoid confusion, let me make it clear that the Project Director with the dicky knee is not the Project Director whom we misplaced while out cycling some years back, but rather the predecessor and successor of the misplaced Project Director, whom I expect to see shortly at Pubcycle 2022

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Thanks 1

Whatever can or crutch you are using, you always have got a problem where or how to put it aside once you sit down at a table. If it is not hung on a higher hook, it always slip and crash on the floor - "anybody please can help to find my can?" .

Not my can with my invention (patent pending), it hangs at the table wherever I put it, always ready to the hand of its Master. 

IMG_0600a.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Both my knees are bad bad bad, hurt like hell all day everyday, I also have a cane, not for aesthetic reasons but because I need it, I struggle with one step which we have to get into the house, I know they are very unlikely to get any better, infact worse is on the cards, I struggle to get into the car these days.

Right knee was bad before i came back in June had a couple of steroid injections in uk that didn't do much, the Mrs got me some black sesame oil capsules (not usually into any of that herbal Sh*te) but have certainly felt better since i started taking them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day, I had a collapsing cane (not under load - it never let me down) so that I could walk as far as my bicycle.  Since the hip operation, I am as spritely and nimble as you could ask for, and can now walk unaided to the pub, though I am still no Rudolph Nureyev.

Anyway, the spring-loaded collapsing cane was great for hobbling to your bicycle, and ideal for brandishing at young ne’erdowells - so long as there were not more of them than you could shake a stick at.

I lent it to our Project Director when he hurt his knee hiking in the hills, and perhaps should have reminded him today, at his celebration of his second retirement, as I doubt now I will see him again, nor the stick.

To avoid confusion, let me make it clear that the Project Director with the dicky knee is not the Project Director whom we misplaced while out cycling some years back, but rather the predecessor and successor of the misplaced Project Director, whom I expect to see shortly at Pubcycle 2022

Good news that your knee operation was a success. My turn meniscus (biking injury) might come back to haunt me. I hear that knee replacement has improved a lot since my father had his done in the 1980s or 90s.

Edited by World Traveller2