Is Thailand really getting more expensive?

BritManToo

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

We had some friends round on Christmas eve (outdoors on the terrace) and we used paper plates and plastic cutlery even (were bought years ago). The last thing I want is to start a 'keeping up with the Jones'' situation with my friends for standards sake. 

I am the Jones'.............................

• Haha 1

The life has gotten more expensive here in Thailand?   Not at all.

Examples

• I give my wife everytime after 3 days 3.000 THB, as in some years before  :shock1:
  • 1 bottle of beer - 60 THB since many years (after they reduced the volume, don't pay more) :violin:....ehm.
  • Bread from the Greman bakery in Chiang Mai 60  tHB for 1 package; the same as before :licklips:
  • electricity - much cheaper now after producing electricity by a solar module
  • saving food for chickens. After returning from the smoke holiday a lot of chickens had "disappeared", but compensated by now feeding 5 dogs, compared to 2,  1 year before
  • saving big money for NOT flying to Old Germany because of the Covid-restrictions
  • reducing the volume of my food in order to lose some kilos
  • no big New-Year-Party because of Covid
  • ............ the money-saving-list goes on
  • Like 2

Have you purchased a new vehicle?

20 years ago I could fill a shopping cart for 12-1500 baht - maybe I am buying more western foods now but I walk out with a couple pf bags for that... and no bags. 

Not to mention the deflation in my home currency in 20 years... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, puck2 said:

saving big money for NOT flying to Old Germany because of the Covid-restrictions

You can save enough money every day by not going to many many countries, not paying for hotels and expensive meals... you will be rich by the end of the month... 

If it works that way...  

• Haha 1

Emporium Sukhumvit looking at Clarks shoes, over twice the price they are back in UK, in wine shop I noticed Talisker whiskey I bought for somebody back home on Amazon last week for 30 quid, here it was 2995 baht, more than twice the price as well. VAT in UK is 20% here it's 7%!

Edited by clivebaxter
  • Haha 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, Airalee said:

Cherry picking exchange rate dates doesn’t prove anything.  Sure, people can look back at those rare short periods where their currencies were worth a lot more, but for the USD, EUR and GBP, I can go back and pick dates along the 10 year chart that would support the statement “it’s so much cheaper to live here now due to the exchange rates!”

All that really matters is the cost of something in ฿.

Most food is pretty much the same.  Even the imported foods I buy are the same and haven’t risen from what I see over the last few years.  In fact, with fewer foreigners here to buy such food, it often goes on sale.  Cheese, butter, etc.  all cheaper for me than 10 years ago.

Rents.  I look at a couple condos that I know in CM.  In 2012/2013 they were renting for ฿15,000 and gradually over time have slid down to 10-12k.  They were those prices pre-Covid.  The condos I have rented in Bangkok fell about 30% from 2017 until now.

Thai/Foot Massage.  Might have gone up ฿50/hour in 10 years depending on the shop.  Most have stayed the same.

Healthcare for cash pay has gone up slightly but far more than offset by the reductions in rent.

Beer/Cigarettes…I don’t drink or smoke anymore (let’s hope I can stick to it this time) but last time I checked, Camels were about the same price and a Bottle of Tawney port (my drink of choice when I have that rare drink) is actually cheaper than I can buy it in the US.  I can’t figure that one out because yes, most decent alcohol appears to be quite expensive here.

Cars.  Used luxury cars are much cheaper than they were 10 years ago.  The market is flooded with second hand Mercedes, BMWs etc. due to so many people having bought them new (on credit) over the last 5-10 years.  Certain specialty cars have held their value or even increased over the last few years but those are few and far between.

Movies.  Still the same price as 10 years ago.

Need I go on?

Where did you get the Tawney port from.

11 hours ago, kickstart said:

Does anyone on here eat Thai food from the caff at the end of the Soi.

They prices have gone up ,only looking to day at a menu 45 baht for a Pak-Karapow, and a plate fried rice less than 6 months ago it was30 baht my  Khow -Man- Gie  has gone  up 5 baht owners said it will be going up again soon ,did not say why .

For your average farang thes price might not seem a lot but for a Thai 10 baht increase  on his midday bowl of noodles is a lot .

All the Thai eating places around me are the same price they always were, 25-30bht a plate.

If they put their prices up they would have no customers.

Living in Bangkok for two years I really don’t see any savings  compared to when I was living in the west.  
My rent is about the same as my mortgage was on the home I owned . ButI if I rented an apartment in the west it would cost me more.  I mostly cook my own food.  The price of groceries is the same or even more for my weekly shopping compared to the west. Prices ordering food delivery or eating in restaurants is about the same I paid in the west.

I realize you can save money by living in a room like the locals do.  Eating street food most of the time. Or living in a  small city or rural village.  I visited Hua Hin , Chiangmai, and  Pattaya. Housing seemed cheaper than Bangkok.  But prices on everything else appeared to be the same.  But lf you don’t want that,  I really see no point in moving here and putting up with the hassles. 

• Like 2

I never look at the price of gasohol. All I know is from 2006 to the present, 60 baht used to fill my motorbike tank. Now it only goes to 3/4 full. Either my tank got bigger or the price went up.

For my friend who drives Mon-Fri Pattaya to Chonburi and back, that hit him hard in the pocketbook.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:51 AM, worgeordie said:

depends where you buy goods from , Tops

If you have to ask the price at Tops, you can't afford to shop there.

The local farmers market is the best place.  Of course, you have to eat local, not international.

That being said, my bag was searched in America because I brought some Beluga caviar lentils. 

Won't find those at Tops.

Edited by SiSePuede419

42 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I've heard of people coming here thinking they can live by the beach for almost nothing. 

Possible.

You're going to need a hammock with a built in mosquito net.

Also, an island with undeveloped jungle next to the beach 

You would also have to modify your diet and not buy anything or go anywhere you can't walk.

Edited by SiSePuede419

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Possible.

You're going to need a hammock with a built in mosquito net.

Also, an island with undeveloped jungle next to the beach 

You would also have to modify your diet and not buy anything or go anywhere you can't walk.

Sounds reasonable.

When you put it like that it sounds wonderful.

I guess no vegamite.

• Haha 1

Just now, SiSePuede419 said:

Let's see, yesterday I ate Somtum, chicken wings and sticky rice for under 100B.

Where can you eat for that in the West?

Besides a homeless shelter ????

Somtum for breakfast.

Chicken wings for lunch

Sticky rice for dinner.

I'm jealous.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

If you have to ask the price at Tops, you can't afford to shop there.

The local farmers market is the best place.  Of course, you have to eat local, not international.

That being said, my bag was searched in America because I brought some Beluga caviar lentils. 

Won't find those at Tops.

I just discovered a hydroponic farm with great vegetables close (20 kilometers).  I'm finally getting descent greens at great prices.

Going to the market for good produce has been hit and miss here in upper Sakon Nakhon.

Hopefully better eating and for less for now on.

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

When you put it like that it sounds wonderful.

Then what to do after your first day ... 

... for ease of everyday living, you may want some comforts, a few eating spots, one chain supermarket (Makro (my go to), Lotus or Big C) nearby, or within 20 kms.  7-11 within 10 kms never hurts to have.  That's about as off the beaten track I want to go.

Location location location ... dictates land prices.  Labor makes building inexpensive.  Renting goes with location.

Find everything else in Thailand to be about same, basic cost of living as USA.  Some things cheaper, some things more expensive, and balances out, depending on your lifestyle.

Healthcare affordable and accessible.  Basically no RE Taxes for owners, so those 2 help keep money in your pocket.  The 2 major pluses for myself over living in the USA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Then what to do after your first day ... 

... for ease of everyday living, you may want some comforts, a few eating spots, one chain supermarket (Makro (my go to), Lotus or Big C) nearby, or within 20 kms.  7-11 within 10 kms never hurts to have.  That's about as off the beaten track I want to go.

Location location location ... dictates land prices.  Labor makes building inexpensive.  Renting goes with location.

Find everything else in Thailand to be about same, basic cost of living as USA.  Some things cheaper, some things more expensive, and balances out, depending on your lifestyle.

Healthcare affordable and accessible.  Basically no RE Taxes for owners, so those 2 help keep money in your pocket.  The 2 major pluses for myself over living in the USA.

Either way I'd rather be in Thailand with my family.

.... preferably with a 7/11 not far.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 10:52 AM, BritManToo said:

They had a freezer full in my local branch (Mae Rim) yesterday (and Italian sausages that I've not tried yet). Had two for my Xmas breakfast this morning (and lunch yesterday), as good as any pork sausage I've ever eaten.

IMG_20211221_112325.jpg

is that rum and coke you drink with your breakfast, and keep the Typhoo as an evening tipple?

On 12/25/2021 at 11:09 AM, Farmerslife said:

Just curious, the other day you posted a picture of mince pies, today it's sausage and chips with a coke (or whisky and coke, perhaps ????) . 

Have you ever eaten anything green, other than biting the heads off martians?????????

from where did you buy th emince pies weret hey any good - not too pasty, and the filling still moist and rich?

30 minutes ago, thaibook said:

from where did you buy th emince pies weret hey any good - not too pasty, and the filling still moist and rich?

Those mince pies were a jar of Robertson's Mincemeat from Food Variety on Lazada.

The pastry I made.

Normally I make the Mincemeat myself, but this year I felt a bit lazy.

Had the last two for breakfast this morning, will need to bake some more.

IMG_20211223_171031.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, thaibook said:

and in many branches it is simply not available

Would point out Makro seem to have a bit of an online ordering problem at the moment.

All the sausage products they sell appear to be listed as 'out of stock'

Clicked on about 20 different items this morning, all 'out of stock'.

They are usually hidden in the same freezer as the Pizza base products.

Which is nowhere near the other frozen pork.

Edited by BritManToo

a bowl of noodles, whether with port, duck palo, fried chicken and egg, are all now 50 Baht (Central Bangkok) which is 5 Baht or 11% more than 2 years ago.  But a vendor is hardly likely to charge 47 or 48, think of the time spent finding the change.  Moving from 45 to 50 is much simpler, and for the customer too.  With luck it means the price will stay at 50 for a long time.