Is Thailand really getting more expensive?

BritManToo

Thailand and similar cheap labor economies are somewhat insulated from the immediate and compounding effects of international inflation on imported commodities, less so from the inflated cost of international logistics.

Locally produced products suffer a lag in price increases until the full effect of international inflation is felt in the cost of imported inputs of raw materials and capital items.

The tin of imported baked beans landed today is inflated by the rising cost of wages in the West plus the increased price of shipping.  But when landed, the only real inflated cost is that of internal transport - and even that is government controlled. 

The other internal inputs such as labour and fixed overheads have not yet felt the international inflationary pressure - but it will come eventually.  Therefore your tin of imported beans is inflated by the Western input costs plus international logistics, and not too much from Thailand inflationary pressures.

Coupled with a comparatively strong Baht that is also minimizing imported inflation to a large extent.

We will see some huge increases in both domestic and imported goods when/if the Teflon coated Baht loses its strength and this flows through to dramatically increased domestic input costs when they eventually arrive.

15 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

A lot can be said about a person when you see what type of plates they use...why don't you get yourself some decent ones, they ain't even expensive?

I like to buy nice things but the in laws just break them if I do (not intentionally). We now have a mix and match of previous plates, cutlery (they lose those) and glasses (wine glasses and my glencairns are their favourite to break). 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Everything goes up, that said over the past 6 years it's been minimal apart from the last year when the shortages came into play.

I keep a to a strict budget and continue to enjoy the good quality foods that we eat as a family of 6, that said the only real increase I have seen is over the past 6 years is for bananas, but that is a seasonal thing, i.e. they were 60 baht when I first came here in 2015 for a big bunch and could go as high as 160 baht this year, that said, I purchased a really fresh bunch the other day for 80 baht at the same place.

Thailand is still very affordable and if I see something has increased dramatically, I will let it go this time around, besides specials are plentiful and it pays to shop around, Tesco/Lotus, Big C and Makro, that said with two fridges and a freezer stocking up can save you those increased prices.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

the only real increase I have seen is over the past 6 years is for bananas, but that is a seasonal thing, i.e. they were 60 baht when I first came here in 2015 for a big bunch and could go as high as 160 baht this year, that said, I purchased a really fresh bunch the other day for 80 baht at the same place.

West Indies style bananas are the cheapest I've ever seen at the moment.

(can't stand Thai fat sweet bananas)

They were always 50bht, but recently dropped to 30 or 40bht a hand.

14 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Not at all.

There are standards............ below which one should not drop....

We had some friends round on Christmas eve (outdoors on the terrace) and we used paper plates and plastic cutlery even (were bought years ago). The last thing I want is to start a 'keeping up with the Jones'' situation with my friends for standards sake. 

We used to buy Aussie minced beef at BigC Extra in Pattaya, at 450 baht/kg. Recently a company has taken over the butchery franchise, and the same mince is now 650/kg. All their other cuts of beef have gone up in proportion.

It used to be a busy counter with a staff of 6 or so. Now there are two, and hardly any customers.  They have started bogof offers, the resultant prices are still high, and the quality has gone down.

For a while we tried other branches, but now the same franchise has taken over, and they are now penetrating Tops!

Other supermarkets are offering low-fat mince at seemingly reasonable prices, but do you really want fluorescent orange mince, which dyes the cooking oil?....or tasteless carpetburgers? 

So far only Villa comes up to scratch.

8 minutes ago, Grusa said:

fluorescent orange mince

Join us for the morning Conga, bring own Bowl< I'll loan you a temporary white toga and we ca use a clam for the headshave, once you've come dancing with the orange mafia yule never look back

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinterGael said:

Mortgage started out at 8600 baht, now 10600 baht as of last year's renewal.

Cable/Internet up about 100 baht.

How can your mortgage repayments have gone up when the interest rates have reduced from 6.25% to 4.75%? Mine is down from 11,900bht to 9,000bht.

My internet is the same as it always was 590bht +VAT

Although I do pay an extra 35bht now for HBOGo.

Electricity and water are the same price they always were.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 2:52 PM, BritManToo said:

They had a freezer full in my local branch (Mae Rim) yesterday (and Italian sausages that I've not tried yet). Had two for my Xmas breakfast this morning (and lunch yesterday), as good as any pork sausage I've ever eaten.

IMG_20211221_112325.jpg

Where's the mushy peas and the Brussels sprouts?

On 12/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, sanuk711 said:

Women.............................:w00t:

Can't be true! Guys who used to have old ladies and are in their 70'ies, now changed them out with girls in their 20'ies. I bet they praise Covid will last forever. A observation from the bar stool in Pattaya last time I was there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't believe there will be any tourists coming back in the next 3-5 years.

COVID bans are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Not that they affect anything except hotel prices.

Seems China will continue to keep their borders closed for another year at least.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bread flour is 32bht/kg at YoK in Chiang Mai (same price as in 2009).

So that's 2 750gm loaves, under 20bht for the finished loaf.

No chemicals I don't want in it either. 

IMG_20200824_162731 (1).jpg

How about being honest, and mentioning the cost of yeast, sugar, milk, butter, oil etc,  And then the real cost could be closer to 21 baht/loaf!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A observation from the bar stool in Pattaya last time I was there!

Next time you visit Hummin, try venturing  off of the bar stall and wandering -up country Issan....In the right area, you would be paying for the company of some knock out women for the price of the bar fined in Pattaya--& yes I lived Pattaya 7 years. 

**20Klm rule

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crouchpeter said:

How about being honest, and mentioning the cost of yeast, sugar, milk, butter, oil etc,  And then the real cost could be closer to 21 baht/loaf!

Because the cost of those ingredients are not significant.

And you don't make normal bread with milk or butter.

PS.

I spend 99bht for a 500gm bag of yeast, at the end of the year I throw the remains away.

20ml of oil from a bottle that costs 45bht/l = less than 1bht

1tsp sugar + 1 pinch of salt = nothing

The only other ingredient is water.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I spend 99bht for a 500gm bag of yeast, at the end of the year I throw the remains away.

20ml of oil from a bottle that costs 45bht/l = less than 1bht

1tsp sugar + 1 pinch of salt = nothing

The only other ingredient is water.

You've convinced me to finally buy a bread machine. What brand do you use here? I see some brands on Shopee for like 5000 baht but they look pretty cheap.

• Haha 1