Bangkok Making Roads Safer for Holidaymakers

Jonathan Fairfield

Indeed clear action by:

"...calling for cooperation from motorists..."

"...identified 174 accident hotspots..." (the actual "fixes" not mentioned)

"...while also promoting its Drink Don’t Drive initiative..."

What about enforcing rules on the streets?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

People are simply not frightened of the consequences because they are so minor. 

I am in no way or form concerned or frightened of the police in Thailand, they are ineffective and can be ‘shunted’ on their way with a phone call to the right person....  I don’t drink and drive and that has nothing to do with the police. I don’t drink and drive simply because I don’t want to be responsible for hurting anyone.

Many (most) of the Thai’s I know drink and drive, they are aware they shouldn’t, but the consequences are simply so ineffective for them there is no deterrent. Social responsibility is not a thing in Thailand, even when I give friends ‘grief’ for driving while drinking ‘the same old record’ gets old very quickly.

I don’t know any foreigners who drink and drive in Bangkok because with the ease of Taxi’s there simply is no need for it. I suspect in other area’s such as Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket there are a lot more foreigners drinking and driving because the taxi’s options are ultimately a bit of a pain in the backside. I’m not sure how ‘Grab’ taxi has improved that and reduced the rip-off. 

Drinking and driving is the major problem here in Issan.

11:00 am our neighbors truck was hit by a drunk driver.  Just helping a friend move some belongings.

Hes okay, torn tendon in his leg.

D748FB96-547C-4A50-9A6A-FE0C4058CDDF.png

79EF0DF2-B92E-4E21-BB50-B8776C908D50.png

2 hours ago, Stefanix said:

What about enforcing rules on the streets?

They only have crackdowns for a few days every year, didn’t you know that? Can’t be bothered to do their job the rest of the time, because they’re much too busy doing other stuff to make money.

58 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Motorbikes are not allowed to drive on sidewalks.  There's a number to call, to report such offences.

I encounter 3 or 4 (sometimes more) every day, just using sidewalks for 20min. Half of them are delivery services (Grab, 7-Eleven delivery), also moto taxis.  If I wanted to call every time, I'd be very busy. The traffic police, sometimes standing just a few metres away, is doing nothing.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I encounter 3 or 4 (sometimes more) every day, just using sidewalks for 20min. Half of them are delivery services (Grab, 7-Eleven delivery), also moto taxis.  If I wanted to call every time, I'd be very busy. The traffic police, sometimes standing just a few metres away, is doing nothing.

I guess that's why nothing happens. The police on the street don't care, and if members of the public don't either, it's status quo. 

• Like 1