First time to Thailand

Craigie22

Immediate comment it is not like it used to be, by a factor !!

Usual newbie route, subject to time here, is Bangkok 2/3 days, Phuket, Kho Samuai, Chiang Mai (if time) and back to Bangkok ...

P.S. moving into the very hot season (March/April) so forget about any serious walking ...

Edited by RmcaIssan
  • Confused 1

Wat Pragaew

Wat Po

Wat Arun

The golden mount temple

Khao sahn Road

Thailand done and dusted..

Bar in the Hilton hotel is where the serious night action is.

The Oriental hotel bar to meet high so women looking for a bit of rough.

The only option is phuket sandbox 

after a week and the second pcr test, you can move around. 
february would be omicron full swing in thailand. Not that is dangerous, but getting positive is 2 weeks hospital,

if asymptomatic maybe it would be downgraded to 10-14 days in AQ hotel or similar in hospital. But now  its 2 weeks hospital. 
clearly risky and expensive travel

If I wanted to go to Phuket I can get a flight to there from london ?. If I wanted to go to Pattaya I could get a flight to Bangkok then a taxi or bus there ?. Doing the sandbox do you have to isolate for 7 days ?. I'm hoping most restrictions would be off by late February.

1 hour ago, Craigie22 said:

If I wanted to go to Phuket I can get a flight to there from london ?. If I wanted to go to Pattaya I could get a flight to Bangkok then a taxi or bus there ?. Doing the sandbox do you have to isolate for 7 days ?. I'm hoping most restrictions would be off by late February.

Or you could look for a flight from UK to Utapau which is the airport at the Navy base just outside Pattaya. Then a 20/30 minute ride from airport to fun city ( if it's open by the time you visit)  ????

They fly from Stansted to Pattaya I'm  sure. No worse than flying from Heathrow or Gatport airwick ????

Edited by Golden Triangle
Extra info

20 hours ago, Craigie22 said:

Thanks, I think I can get a direct flight to Phuket. I've heard bangkok is not worth going. I'm hoping the travel restrictions will be off by the end of February.

Bangkok is not worth going? 

What is the most visited city in the world 2019?

Top 20 Most Visited Cities in 2019

Bangkok, Thailand – 22.78 million visitors.

Paris, France – 19.10 million visitors.

London, UK – 19.09 million visitors.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates – 15.93 million visitors.

Singapore, Malaysia – 14.67 million visitors.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 13.79 million visitors

Of course that was before Covid but still  Bangkok was the most visited city in the world, has something for everyone. If you go to Phuket check out Blue Tree Resort--see vid below

Above ICON Siam Mall in Bangkok---you have never seen places anywhere in the world like Bangkok.

Do a search on Youtube on Thailand atractions

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Craigie22 said:

I'm looking to go to Thailand at the end of February. Where would be best to go for my first time ?. I am considering Phuket. I enjoy walking, sightseeing and would like to go to a few bars.

Bangla road Phuket will suit you well, walk on the beach, look at all the sights, visit the bars on beach road...

Pack a few extra shirts, you're gonna loose a few.

Thanks, I think I can get a direct flight to Phuket. I've heard bangkok is not worth going. I'm hoping the travel restrictions will be off by the end of February.

Don't bank on it... Omicron will be here well and truly by then.

• Like 2

Are you a beach person or a mountain person?

Fly to Bangkok, 2 or 3 days there.

Fly to Udon Thani, 2 or 3 days there. (Have bars, walk around Nong Prajack)

Bus/Van to Nong Khai, 2 or 3 days there. (Have bars, beautiful walk by the Mekong River)

Back to Udon, fly direct to Phuket, 3 or 4 days there.

Fly to Bangkok, and home

Edited by Expat68
  • Like 1

Good Choice. It’s All Here. Presently Not “Touring Thailand “Time.

Avoid All Cities. Phuket Best Tropical Destination Anywhere.

Recommend SW Coast between Patong & Rawai for Best Stays, Beaches Water Sports Bars Nightlife (Bangla Road). Hire Moped to get Around.

Lived here on & off since 2004. Lived & Worked Worldwide.

22 hours ago, Craigie22 said:

Don't listen to the others, make your own experience. BKK is a great city and offers a lot. Only thing you will miss is the sea, but if you choose a nice hotel you can replace the sea with the nice pool.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Although Phuket can be nice, it is also expensive.

Taxi mafia at the airports and throughout Phuket, transportation is about 2 to 5 times more when compared to Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Pattaya. Fruit is at least twice the price as other locations in Thailand. Many restaurants are hugely over priced. In general, meals are roughly at least 2 times the price compared to Bangkok or Pattaya.

Yes, many other scams in Phuket, plus lady boy pick pockets etc.. 

Pattaya is far far cheaper and safer.. I live in Pattaya 5 yrs. 

• Like 2

Yeah, as a newbie I would suggest to go to Pattaya for a few days.

It is a place you will never forget even in these times.

Walk Soi Buakhao around 10 pm will stay with you forever.  Bangla in Phuket is good normally, but now it is slow.  Pattaya is hoping in comparison.

If you want to hit up bars I would do Bangkok (plenty of bars open some good roof top bars), Pattaya, then Phuket.  I would forget other places in the current environment.

Chiang Mai sucks now it is a total nothing bore.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your first trip here I would come with no budget.  Hopefully, you prepared and saved so you could spend freely and enjoy your trip.  Coming here for the first time with some sort of budget pinching pennies is nonsense as you may never get this chance again.  Come, enjoy have a great time you will never forget.

• Haha 1