Preserving Privacy When Using Shoppee/Lazada/Google Play

JomtienEats

I've just returned to Thailand for the first time since the pandemic. I've noticed the surveillance on payment accounts has been dialed up a few notches.

I was trying to buy an app in Google Play store - previously I'd been able to do that with phone credit. No Longer. Only SIMs registered to thai ids allowed. I thought I'd buy a Google Play Gift Card in 7-11. Nuh hu. No longer sold. Only payment options seem to require a lot of setup and ids. I'm old fashioned. I don't want to give Google my full id to play candy crush. It feels a little oppressive tbh.

Same deal with Lazada and Shoppee - to open a lazada pay/shoppee pay account, they want the full enchilada - passport photos and pictures and what not. To buy a salad shooter? They don't even need my name, they just need my address and some money, both of which I'm happy to give them, but my id? Nah, they'd only lose it.

What are some workarounds to this? C.O.D seems to still work, but it's pretty inconvenient to co-ordinate the payment for every small parcel with the delivery though. Also it's more costly - Shopee offers better deals if using Shoppee pay.

What are some of the ways to keep private info private in this time and place?

• Like 1

NOT only that the requirements are worse now, they also do not work!!

i tried to register to LINE WALLET and did upload my passport photo and face photo

there, as required. to this day i did not get a response from them,only a message:

"your documents are under verification"

tried to call them few times but as usual no good communication.

so now my passport photo is wondering somewhere around.

i guess it is all part of the global "anti money laundering" war, thai style.

will propably get much worse woon.

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD
  • Like 1

A lot of this stuff seems to emanate from the Anti-Money Laundering Office. I did have a True Wallet until the AMLO upped the anti and insisted on further ID checks. Seems my passport wasn't good enough anymore.

Lazada's been no problem though. I've had my account with them for 7 years now and they've never asked for any additional ID. I don't see how you can possibly have an account with them without giving them your name!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

NOT only that the requirements are worse now, they also do not work!!

i tried to register to LINE WALLET and did upload my passport photo and face photo

there, as required. to this day i did not get a response from them,only a message:

"your documents are under verification"

tried to call them few times but as usual no good communication.

so now my passport photo is wondering somewhere around.

i guess it is all part of the global "anti money laundering" war, thai style.

will propably get much worse woon.

yes, i've had similar experiences with providing a lot of id only to be denied the service - very frustrating. It's a little bit like putting your money into a vending machine but not getting what you paid for.

I think you're right about the money laundering. bit of a joke to track people buying hdmi cables online while dirty money from around the world is funneled into empty condo projects. I know where I'd look if I wanted to find money laundering! Not at my purchase history of batteries and kitchen implements!

37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A lot of this stuff seems to emanate from the Anti-Money Laundering Office. I did have a True Wallet until the AMLO upped the anti and insisted on further ID checks. Seems my passport wasn't good enough anymore.

Lazada's been no problem though. I've had my account with them for 7 years now and they've never asked for any additional ID. I don't see how you can possibly have an account with them without giving them your name!

Yes, looks to me like either a Thai ID or Passport satisfies whatever the requirements are, but a little extra work is required to process passports so I guess some firms just don't bother.

Lazada Wallet definitely asking for either id on my account. I think they need my address to deliver their wonderful plastic goods to my door, but I give them my nickname rather than government name.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, JomtienEats said:

I was trying to buy an app in Google Play store - previously I'd been able to do that with phone credit. No Longer. Only SIMs registered to thai ids allowed.

I ran into this hurdle recently, not sure that it's new though? Could be I guess? 

I only use COD with Lazada. I use a bogus name/throwaway email. Bit of a pain but neighbors usually deal with deliveries - I leave cash with them or they pay and I reimburse them after the delivery. Said neighbors will also order for me on their account/credit card - they like the points, and then I just transfer money to their account.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I ran into this hurdle recently, not sure that it's new though? Could be I guess? 

I only use COD with Lazada. I use a bogus name/throwaway email. Bit of a pain but neighbors usually deal with deliveries - I leave cash with them or they pay and I reimburse them after the delivery. Said neighbors will also order for me on their account/credit card - they like the points, and then I just transfer money to their account.

Wow some people really value their privacy to go to such lengths. 

22 hours ago, JomtienEats said:

Yes, looks to me like either a Thai ID or Passport satisfies whatever the requirements are, but a little extra work is required to process passports so I guess some firms just don't bother.

Lazada Wallet definitely asking for either id on my account. I think they need my address to deliver their wonderful plastic goods to my door, but I give them my nickname rather than government name.

You can still just pay with your online bank app without using lazada or shoppee wallet. But then you would be giving out data too.

In general i like the lazada wallet is a bit easier then paying with my internet banking app (basically i top up with the app but its easier) then paying directly with the banking app.

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2021 at 8:11 AM, fdsa said:

Privacy is a criminal offence.

A honest person has nothing to hide.

A fallacious argument - what is honest today may not be honest tomorrow under some government or other. Values change - what's OK today may not be tomorrow Remember whatever you do on the internet today (or indeed 10 years ago) is there forever. It might have been OK then but may not be now or at some point in the future.

I made some progress! 

Google play can be paid for by something called 'PromptPay' - this is on most thai bank apps, so a friend can pay the bill and you can reimburse them. Not perfect, but better.

I haven't tried to pay promptpay at 711 yet but I dont see it advertised.