2021: Economic recovery stuck in pandemic quicksand

webfact

Economic-recovery-Thailand_web.jpg

The Thai economy is heavily dependent on tourism as a major employment generator. Businesses have been hit hard by the prolonged pandemic situation and the fallout of lockdown restrictions since 2020.(Photo by Richard Balog)

By Thai PBS World’s Business Desk

After the sharp economic contraction triggered by the pandemic in 2020, hopes were high that Thailand’s economy would stage a recovery in 2021. 

The COVID-19 outbreak in early 2020 had led to a 6.1 percent economic contraction, affecting large numbers of people and businesses.

Thailand’s success in containing the spread of the first wave kindled expectations of an economic rebound this year.

The third wave of infections that started in April this year, however, proved devastating. The sluggish rollout of vaccinations led to a sharp spike in new infections and COVID-19-related deaths, while hospitals were overwhelmed.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2021-economic-recovery-stuck-in-pandemic-quicksand/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 2

Being that it is high tourist season and Thailand is needing the money, I hope that the present 

rules are not changed too drastically. I have a few friends who plan to leave to Thailand for

long stays until April, so I am hoping that they do not have to spend 14 days in some expensive place

before enjoying their time in the country.  I think that they will be tired from just the hoops they 

have had to go through just to get their tickets and preparations done so far.  2022 is in question, so

2023 or 2024 are more likely the years for recovery.