Solar panel advice & experiences

30 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Any links to current Thailand domestic no-feedback solar install costs?

Are you intending to go grid-tie with just hot water to store excess (and no grid export), or would you add batteries to make a hybrid system for energy when the sun is sleeping.

Contractor or DIY install?

38 minutes ago, bluejets said:

I use a 250 litre storage hot water system with a timer to isolate outside daylight hours as an "energy storage" from the solar panels.

Can add up to quite a lot over a 12 month period. More in winter months but approx. $400 per annum.

As an example, the feedback rate in Aus is currently around 6 cents a unit, whereas consumption rate even on off peak tarrif is around the 22 cent mark.

More in winter months but pre-solar cost was approx. $400 per annum and virtually maintenance free.

Last storage unit here was replaced only due to the flood and was over 25 years old, cost AUD$1,000.

Water quality is rather good though as others in different areas of the same city replace every 10 years or so due to being eaten out with rust or not replacing the anode when required.

Looking at a similar arrangement when building in Thailand.

Any links to current Thailand domestic no-feedback solar install costs?

Quite a few years ago I did that too. I can testify to the deterioration of the immersion heater due to the aggressive minerals in the water and the electrolysis due to different metals used for the pipes and tank etc. 

Electricity not collected is not wasted. It is there courtesy of the sun if you want to use it.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 11:43 AM, Crossy said:

Are you intending to go grid-tie with just hot water to store excess (and no grid export), or would you add batteries to make a hybrid system for energy when the sun is sleeping.

Contractor or DIY install?

Hi Crossy,

Yes, just standard grid tie system and feed the storage HWS on a timer.

Same same as I have here in Aus except no feedback.

BTW is there a no-feedback relay one can get from electrical supply shops or is it a PEA item?

No intention of going battery at all.

Contractor or DIY, guess it depends on what the contractors charge.

If say like rac installers, it's hardly worth my dragging gear out to do it myself.

Cheers Jorgo ( electrical/electronics contractor)

Edited by bluejets

5 hours ago, bluejets said:

BTW is there a no-feedback relay one can get from electrical supply shops or is it a PEA item?

No intention of going battery at all.

Many grid-tie inverters available which have no-export built in, far easier than messing about with separate units.

I'm 100% certain there are units available to monitor your grid connection and turn on dump load (water heater) when it looks like you might export. I've not actually looked for one mind.