Solar panel advice & experiences

Our new house is in Buriram, and the PEA have failed to supply us with enough power (180v). They're saying they'll sort it, but I've had enough (3.5 months already). Some of my equipment won't operate properly, as you can imagine. 

We use about 400 units a month on average (less in winter) so what do you think might be the best way to proceed? I don't think ditching the main grid completely is the answer, as most of the time it's not an issue. 

1 minute ago, stoneinfocus said:

Our new house is in Buriram, and the PEA have failed to supply us with enough power (180v). They're saying they'll sort it, but I've had enough (3.5 months already). Some of my equipment won't operate properly, as you can imagine. 

We use about 400 units a month on average (less in winter) so what do you think might be the best way to proceed? I don't think ditching the main grid completely is the answer, as most of the time it's not an issue. 

It would depend on what equipment you want to work, that doesn't work now.

Well, specifically, my hi-fi equipment! The massive integrated amp' actually works fine, but the stupidly expensive CD player gets upset if someone turns on the tap, thus causing the water pump to kick in. 

Thing is, I do sometimes want to listen after dark, so some battery storage may be necessary. 

1 minute ago, stoneinfocus said:

Well, specifically, my hi-fi equipment! The massive integrated amp' actually works fine, but the stupidly expensive CD player gets upset if someone turns on the tap, thus causing the water pump to kick in. 

Thing is, I do sometimes want to listen after dark, so some battery storage may be necessary. 

I think you should have a look at this topic!!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stoneinfocus said:

Cheers for that. 

So do you solar boys incorporate an AVR? 

PEA rang my wife and assured her that once their crane is fixed, they'll be right over! 

I don't have an AVR, but I have all my "important" devices like fridge, PC, Modems, TV's, NAS etc connected to an Individual UPS.

I often hear them clicking, which means that the voltage they are getting from the PEA is too low and they are compensating for it but no issue for the appliance connected to it!!

Here we often have brown-outs that only lasts for 1-5 secs and that is (AFAIK) very bad for appliances!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, stoneinfocus said:

I gots to be honest, I regret spending so much on my <deleted> hi-fi. 

Don't one day you will absolutely enjoy it when the PEA fixes your problems!! And that is priceless IMHO!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, stoneinfocus said:

????

I once managed to put together a bed frame with allen keys, but that required some really good headphones and The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld turned up to 8. 

Don't worry @Crossy even wants me to connect my Solar Panels/Inverters/Batteries myself. I think he wants to make everyone a Electrical Expert ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Don't worry @Crossy even wants me to connect my Solar Panels/Inverters/Batteries myself. I think he wants to make everyone a Electrical Expert ????

Red to red, black to black, if smoke comes out then go back :whistling:

Seriously, it's not rocket science and with the help you can get here ...

I'll even get @MJCM on line (if he can get his good sparks off the bottle for a few hours) ????  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Seriously, it's not rocket science and with the help you can get here ...

If it's not rocket science why are you making the big bucks then ???? and why is it so hard to find a good Sparky.

We were waiting at our old house for the delivery of steel and we were talking to the son of our neighbor who is learning to be a sparky (he is in his 3rd year)

Was talking about ไฟฟ้ากระแสตรง  - DC and ไฟฟ้ากระแสสลับ - AC and he had no idea!!

And bear in mind that I have no education whatsoever in Electric!! Maybe something went lost in translation, but we were clearly talking about Solar, and he in his 3rd year must know for sure that it is different then electricity what the PEA brings in!!

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We were waiting at our old house for the delivery of steel and we were talking to the son of our neighbor who is learning to be a sparky (he is in his 3rd year)

Tech college in Thailand is more like reform school in the UK.

I don't think they teach them much, they all make zip guns in the workshop.

More about keeping them from fighting in the streets.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Tech college in Thailand is more like reform school in the UK.

I don't think they teach them much, they all make zip guns in the workshop.

More about keeping them from fighting in the streets.

The only thing we wanted to express to him is that he needs to learn more about Solar maybe specialize in that and not only be just another "Baan Nork" sparky.

We would help him to setup his business (money wise) but it all (sorry to say) was met with blank stare. I think he is more interested in be able to fix his old SFH (Speakers from Hell) system (you know the ones that have does headache splitting Bass coming from them) ????

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stoneinfocus said:

Yeah, I might just allocate the solar money to another project: an anechoic chamber...

We already build another house and moved somewhere else because of the NOISE ????

Edited by MJCM

On 1/14/2022 at 8:45 AM, stoneinfocus said:

Look for a voltage stabilizer, There are big and smaller ones , depending on total power you want corrected.

You can also do per electric item and have their own stabilizer for the used power (Watts).

More and more you see in electric items, buit in power supply which can handle then from 180-230volts or even from lower.

To give you an impression follow the link

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005003711805738.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.20bd3110C5AClu&algo_pvid=c2a0f632-ecbf-40e5-ad70-3a9493663f73&algo_exp_id=c2a0f632-ecbf-40e5-ad70-3a9493663f73-9&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000027089167739"}&pdp_pi=-1%3B74.07%3B-1%3B-1%40salePrice%3BEUR%3Bsearch-mainSearch

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 2:51 PM, stoneinfocus said:

Inverter and  gel battery around 9,000bht.

I have this plugged into the socket between the mains and my entertainment.

Works for 2hrs if no electricity at all, and forever if it's just momentary interruptions.

(TV, computer, router, speakers, XBox 360)

This one, 4000bht

https://shopee.co.th/ออฟกริด-อินเวอร์เตอร์-SUOER-PL-1.5KA-12V-Off-grid-pure-sine-wave-inverter-Low-frequency-1000W-AC-charger-20A-i.98533389.7331332464

And a 12v 100AH battery 4800bht

https://shopee.co.th/แบตเตอรี่สำหรับระบบโซล่าเซลล์-12v100A-Deep-cycle-gel-i.5168961.5983411514

You don't need solar at all .......... this switches itself from mains to battery as required.

IMG_20210224_074158 (1).jpg

Edited by BritManToo

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 1:21 PM, 007 RED said:

Yes, the panels will require cleaning every so often, depending upon how dirty they become.  Lets say in the worse case scenario they need cleaning once a month.   A bucket of water and a soft brush plus 15 minutes of time at 50 THB/hour will give a grand cost of say 30 THB /month or 360 THB /year.  Not really going to break the bank.

I do not have a solar power system yet, but am seriously considering one for a new house build in Isaan.

I am doing the house design myself so want to leave room on the roof for PV solar panels and access to them.

Is that really the only maintenance panels require?

13 minutes ago, Encid said:

Is that really the only maintenance panels require?

Yup, unless you get a failure (rare) or a panel gets damaged you won't need to access them other than for cleaning.

Our panels are on the car port for easy access.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 250 litre storage hot water system with a timer to isolate outside daylight hours as an "energy storage" from the solar panels.

Can add up to quite a lot over a 12 month period. More in winter months but approx. $400 per annum.

As an example, the feedback rate in Aus is currently around 6 cents a unit, whereas consumption rate even on off peak tarrif is around the 22 cent mark.

More in winter months but pre-solar cost was approx. $400 per annum and virtually maintenance free.

Last storage unit here was replaced only due to the flood and was over 25 years old, cost AUD$1,000.

Water quality is rather good though as others in different areas of the same city replace every 10 years or so due to being eaten out with rust or not replacing the anode when required.

Looking at a similar arrangement when building in Thailand.

Any links to current Thailand domestic no-feedback solar install costs?