Internet wifi

Jen65

My Condo wifi internet is useless as there is one router each floor and management pays peanuts anyway so am looking for my own internet wifi ( on Jomtien Beach) .

I have found that AIS and TOT have this available but looking for some feedback / suggestions before taking the plunge .   Pity the Condo will not install fibre optic cable as that seems to be the way forward nowadays .

Check your speed on your mobile (4G/5G). If speedtest shows low ping time and download/upload speeds, then consider an extra data sim card + a pocket wifi.

5G is now faster than our fiber connection, so I plan to change to a 5G sim card router, when my fiber internet plan ends in May 2022.

Edited by THEN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stay away from TOT. It routes their internet through Malaysia for World's slowest internet.

If that's supplied by CAT (which is now same company as TOT but still separated in terms of packages) then you should be better off, and their stuff is quite reliable and affordable. They just have this... we only work Mon-Fri mentality so if you ever needed to deal with them, you're told to go to their office during office working hours only, which for working people means taking a day off just to talk to them.

Had AIS Fiber for years (unfortunately at my new place they were speed limited so I switched to True), but they were very reliable and kept upping the speed at no extra costs, starting at 100/30 and ending with 1000/1000 a few years later. The Playbox was OK, if you wish to watch TV at 20% of price of TrueVisions for more or less the same service. Overall, with choice of TOT and AIS, I would recommend you to go with AIS Fiber (not VDSL).

You can check with AIS by giving them building/floor information on whether they can connect fiber directly to your room. That's always preferred. Some older places might only allow fiber to ground floor and XDSL/VDSL up to unit (you would know if they say 50 or 75 Mbps max speed and ask you to connect router with phone cable). Fiber should allow speeds to 10 Gbps, but current packages offered are up to 2 Gbps (2,000 Mbps).

To pay or change service is easy if you have AIS phone number (normally AIS will give you a free SIM to use when outside home, with 4G/5G quota included as well as AIS Wifi access). You would just open app, get OTP SMS to login, then pay bill inside app, or change package, add-on things, etc. right in there. Payment portal is also available on AIS Fiber website - just enter fiber number, shows you outstanding amount, and click pay. It's much sleeker than dealing with government agency.

To check what's available for your condo:

https://newfibre.ais.co.th/process/checkcoverage?intcid=getpage-th-header_menu-consumer_menu-aisfibre_submenu1-new_customer_submenu2-coverage_checker_submenu3

More information on packages available:

https://www.ais.th/fibre/en/

Payment gateway:

https://newfibre.ais.co.th/Payment/Login

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, THEN said:

Check your speed on your mobile (4G/5G). If speedtest shows low ping time and download/upload speeds, then consider an extra data sim card + a pocket wifi.

5G is now faster than our fiber connection, so I plan to change to a 5G sim card router, when my fiber internet plan ends in May 2022.

Cable is still more reliable and isn't metered. Especially if you live on a high floor, cellular signal may be low or non-existent. I need to use all my phones on Wifi Calling, as there's barely any 4G signal, and basically no 5G signal up here. Things could be different in Jomtien, though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, THEN said:

My Mrs has obtained SIM/Routers and taken 2 to the village. There is no wired internet there but phone signal is quite strong. We have managed video /facetime type calls no problem, and my Mrs streams audio all the time. She has obtained one on True and one on DTAC... (i was asked to set them up at home beforehand). I guess it would be useful to find out who is supplying the best phone data signal first. Good thing is, easy to move around... takes it to her mother's place when she is there for the day sometimes..plug it in and it is working. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my condo i was able to get a fibre cable installed from 3BB. Great service from their gigabyte wifi, now with gigaTV as well for 700 a month. Get it if you can. I paid myself for the fibre connection from their main link on the ground floor.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Stay away from TOT. It routes their internet through Malaysia for World's slowest internet.

If that's supplied by CAT (which is now same company as TOT but still separated in terms of packages) then you should be better off, and their stuff is quite reliable and affordable. They just have this... we only work Mon-Fri mentality so if you ever needed to deal with them, you're told to go to their office during office working hours only, which for working people means taking a day off just to talk to them.

Had AIS Fiber for years (unfortunately at my new place they were speed limited so I switched to True), but they were very reliable and kept upping the speed at no extra costs, starting at 100/30 and ending with 1000/1000 a few years later. The Playbox was OK, if you wish to watch TV at 20% of price of TrueVisions for more or less the same service. Overall, with choice of TOT and AIS, I would recommend you to go with AIS Fiber (not VDSL).

You can check with AIS by giving them building/floor information on whether they can connect fiber directly to your room. That's always preferred. Some older places might only allow fiber to ground floor and XDSL/VDSL up to unit (you would know if they say 50 or 75 Mbps max speed and ask you to connect router with phone cable). Fiber should allow speeds to 10 Gbps, but current packages offered are up to 2 Gbps (2,000 Mbps).

To pay or change service is easy if you have AIS phone number (normally AIS will give you a free SIM to use when outside home, with 4G/5G quota included as well as AIS Wifi access). You would just open app, get OTP SMS to login, then pay bill inside app, or change package, add-on things, etc. right in there. Payment portal is also available on AIS Fiber website - just enter fiber number, shows you outstanding amount, and click pay. It's much sleeker than dealing with government agency.

To check what's available for your condo:

https://newfibre.ais.co.th/process/checkcoverage?intcid=getpage-th-header_menu-consumer_menu-aisfibre_submenu1-new_customer_submenu2-coverage_checker_submenu3

More information on packages available:

https://www.ais.th/fibre/en/

Payment gateway:

https://newfibre.ais.co.th/Payment/Login

thank you, that's all very good info .

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs has obtained SIM/Routers and taken 2 to the village. There is no wired internet there but phone signal is quite strong. We have managed video /facetime type calls no problem, and my Mrs streams audio all the time. She has obtained one on True and one on DTAC... (i was asked to set them up at home beforehand). I guess it would be useful to find out who is supplying the best phone data signal first. Good thing is, easy to move around... takes it to her mother's place when she is there for the day sometimes..plug it in and it is working. 

mmm yes portability is something I had not considered , thanks

On 12/30/2021 at 5:47 AM, Jen65 said:

My Condo wifi internet is useless as there is one router each floor and management pays peanuts anyway so am looking for my own internet wifi ( on Jomtien Beach) .

I have found that AIS and TOT have this available but looking for some feedback / suggestions before taking the plunge .   Pity the Condo will not install fibre optic cable as that seems to be the way forward nowadays .

TOT service is not guaranteed above the 5th floor and your equipment would need to be able to see Band 40 LTE. 

All networks are currently trying to kill each other with unlimited 15 & 20 Mbps packages for 200 & 300 baht per month respectively.

But first you need to run tests in your apartment for as to which provider has the best reception and speeds.

Best way is to get down to Central Festival and to obtain one from each network(50 baht each) and then go home to check the speeds and reception in your apartment.

Once you have settled on the best, you can apply the unlimited pack to it or purchase a cheaper annual option from the same network.

Which phone do you hold currently?

Often AIS is the best, but in my Jomtien apartment; DTAC was the best. The only way to be sure, is to test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

TOT service is not guaranteed above the 5th floor and your equipment would need to be able to see Band 40 LTE. 

All networks are currently trying to kill each other with unlimited 15 & 20 Mbps packages for 200 & 300 baht per month respectively.

But first you need to run tests in your apartment for as to which provider has the best reception and speeds.

Best way is to get down to Central Festival and to obtain one from each network(50 baht each) and then go home to check the speeds and reception in your apartment.

Once you have settled on the best, you can apply the unlimited pack to it or purchase a cheaper annual option from the same network.

Often AIS is the best, but in my Jomtien apartment; DTAC was the best. The only way to be sure, is to test.

Good information / recommendations coming in !!  My mobile is AIS so would be more than happy to stay with them .  I will do the test first . Thank you  

• Thanks 1

If you can only achieve, say, 15 Mbps; then there is no point in subscribing to the 20 Mbps pack. Saving yourself from paying the extra 100 baht per month.

I already asked what phone you are utilising. Don't make me ask you again.:)

• Haha 1

Just now, tomazbodner said:

That's expensive for speeds from 2010...

ais banner images

Is there something wrong with you? This is a thread concerned MOBILE Internet. Why you are posting a pic linked to land based Internet access is known only to yourself. For unlimited mobile Internet access; it is cheap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Very helpful information and advice for everyone. Thanks for posting!

On 12/31/2021 at 2:33 AM, Jen65 said:

thank you, that's all very good info .

Though not all accurate. 

He is labouring under the impression that we are discussing land based/Fibre connections.

That's what happens when you don't pay attention to the OP and just start writing. ????

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Is there something wrong with you? This is a thread concerned MOBILE Internet. Why you are posting a pic linked to land based Internet access is known only to yourself. For unlimited mobile Internet access; it is cheap.

Please explain what "my own internet wifi" means to you?

To me it is my own connection, with a router that gives me my own Wifi network inside my place. It could receive signal from cable (ADSL/VDSL/Fiber) or from 4G/5G cellular network, bunch of satellites, or provider's Wifi tower.

I believed that OP's main concern was reliability and speed of what the condo offers. Cheap 1.xxx baht per year mobile SIMs of maximum 4/10 Mbps might give her no better experience than she has now.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

ais banner images

I'm not being funny (genuinely) but why does anyone need more than 15 to 20 down

More than quick enough for any purpose. Christ back in the UK I've only got 4-5 down because of old external wiring to the house but still streams everything normally

4 times that speed isnt quick enough ??

43 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Please explain what "my own internet wifi" means to you?

To me it is my own connection, with a router that gives me my own Wifi network inside my place. It could receive signal from cable (ADSL/VDSL/Fiber) or from 4G/5G cellular network, bunch of satellites, or provider's Wifi tower.

I believed that OP's main concern was reliability and speed of what the condo offers. Cheap 1.xxx baht per year mobile SIMs of maximum 4/10 Mbps might give her no better experience than she has now.

Clearly you do have issues; since 15 & 20 Mbps packs were mentioned and you even quoted my post containing that info. But somehow your brain has lost it's sense of recall and you are referring to 4 & 10 Mbps.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:47 AM, Jen65 said:

Pity the Condo will not install fibre optic cable as that seems to be the way forward nowadays

Perhaps I misunderstood this statement as not allowing them to install Fibre, as opposed to using Fibre as a base for the in-house condo WiFi.

Of course if the OP is happy to have a land based connection and is happy to go along with the conditions attached, that too can be discussed.

But here, at least for the moment, we are writing about SIM supplied Internet access. 

If the OP expresses an interest in getting a land based option installed, then best to check with her condo office as to what is allowed.

ais banner images

Also states that is for AIS Postpaid customers.... Otherwise 599 + VAT

Something else you don't mention is:

1. The customer get discount for installation fee with outdoor wiring installation amount of 4,800 Baht when agree to use AIS Fibre service continuously at least 24 bill cycles since the date of the installation. In case that the customer cancels the service within 24 bill cycles from the date of installation, the company reserves the right to collect the installation fee with outdoor wiring installation at the rate based on prorate basic of remaining bills under such period after deduct from paid bills.
  2. If the customer choose to pay for the installation fee with outdoor wiring installation in amount of 4,800 Baht since the first bill cycle will not determine the period of AIS Fibre service.

The 4800 baht installation fee that you have to pay back(at least partially) if you don't stay with them for at least two years.

Then;

1. The entry fee is now only 800 Baht from the regular fee of 2,000 Baht. Special offer: The entry fee is waived for customers whose names appear as the householder in the house registration, or who has proof as the owner of the residence.
  2. The customer who pays the 800 Baht admission fee is entitled to a 100 Baht discount on the monthly service fee for a period of eight billing cycles. However, in case of temporary service suspension, the discount will be cancelled.

What? More fees? ????

On 12/30/2021 at 7:23 AM, tomazbodner said:

Cable is still more reliable and isn't metered. Especially if you live on a high floor, cellular signal may be low or non-existent. I need to use all my phones on Wifi Calling, as there's barely any 4G signal, and basically no 5G signal up here. Things could be different in Jomtien, though.

Mobile Internet too is unlimited. What's with all of the misdirection today?

I am on a high floor and get a good signal from AIS. Currently using a 20 Mbps pack. No contracts and I can take it with me where ever I go.

Though as I stated earlier, if it's just a miscommunication and the OP is interested in having something installed, as opposed to just going out and obtaining a SIM(and perhaps router) then all info is welcome. But be transparent about the costs.

@Jen65 I do apologise for what this thread has turned into. I guess it would be best to first write down what would suit you the most, for the usage you require. I did jump the gun in believing you are asking about fixed internet point as TOT aren't particularly famous for their mobile offerings (although I used to have it 10 years back through their tie-up with Samart iMobile 3Gx), so it would be strange for only TOT and AIS having a mobile signal there, given DTAC and True have many cellular towers all over Jomtien (according to their maps, at least).

Different users have different needs and for some, even your condo internet could be sufficient. I am rather impatient with my computers and phones getting ever larger updates (recent Windows + Office update just shy of 10 GB, MacOS updates not far behind), and working from home for 2 years, I need a reliable and fast connection, and honestly had no choice as basically no cellular service has more than 2 lines of signal up here.

You might not need any of that and mobile option could work for you.

Like every over-the-air connectivity, your speed would depend on distance from tower, height from tower (generally they point downwards towards the street so more than 5-10 floors above tower you might have little or no signal), weather conditions (signal drops in heavy rain), number of other users around the tower and what they are doing.

But you are saying you already have an AIS mobile phone. In such case it is very easy for you to test whether that is sufficient - simply turn your phone into a hotspot (usually under Settings / Wifi sharing or Additional Connections - Share internet or alike) then connect other devices to your phone and see if that's sufficient. You can get 39 baht on-top internet package for 5 GB I think, which should be enough for testing if you currently have no data allowance.

All the best with whatever you choose, and happy surfing.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Before you search for the perfect provider check which providers are available in your building. Likely you will have limited choices and maybe only some services (i.e. no top speed in your building).

That's what I thought TOT/AIS referenced - only 2 service providers available in building. But, apparently that's not the case, so I'll sign off this topic and let it be.

Given the day - Happy New Year!

• Thanks 1

That's what I thought TOT/AIS referenced - only 2 service providers available in building. But, apparently that's not the case, so I'll sign off this topic and let it be.

Given the day - Happy New Year!

The thread is good. The OP was not clear to us; but in the end it was good for the OP, as they possibly learned more about both options. 

Maybe your comment about speeds from 2010 irked me slightly; but...it's the Internet ???? we have a bit of banter and we move on. Everyone is trying to help and that is what is great.

Stay healthy and happy ????

• Thanks 2

@Jen65 I do apologise for what this thread has turned into. I guess it would be best to first write down what would suit you the most, for the usage you require. I did jump the gun in believing you are asking about fixed internet point as TOT aren't particularly famous for their mobile offerings (although I used to have it 10 years back through their tie-up with Samart iMobile 3Gx), so it would be strange for only TOT and AIS having a mobile signal there, given DTAC and True have many cellular towers all over Jomtien (according to their maps, at least).

Different users have different needs and for some, even your condo internet could be sufficient. I am rather impatient with my computers and phones getting ever larger updates (recent Windows + Office update just shy of 10 GB, MacOS updates not far behind), and working from home for 2 years, I need a reliable and fast connection, and honestly had no choice as basically no cellular service has more than 2 lines of signal up here.

You might not need any of that and mobile option could work for you.

Like every over-the-air connectivity, your speed would depend on distance from tower, height from tower (generally they point downwards towards the street so more than 5-10 floors above tower you might have little or no signal), weather conditions (signal drops in heavy rain), number of other users around the tower and what they are doing.

But you are saying you already have an AIS mobile phone. In such case it is very easy for you to test whether that is sufficient - simply turn your phone into a hotspot (usually under Settings / Wifi sharing or Additional Connections - Share internet or alike) then connect other devices to your phone and see if that's sufficient. You can get 39 baht on-top internet package for 5 GB I think, which should be enough for testing if you currently have no data allowance.

All the best with whatever you choose, and happy surfing.

Actually what TOT(now NT) offer is Home Internet supplied via SIM, rather than a mobile service. There is no option for 3G, for instance. LTE Band 40 only. Interestingly, DTAC use the same. Probably a sharing of infrastructure agreement. But only on Band 40.

For as little as 999 baht per annum you get unlimited data at up to 100 Mbps. Yes, that is just over 80 baht per month. Though to get the top speed, you may likely have to have the option for Carrier Aggregation on Band 40 on your device.

You can see that it was easy for us to imagine the OP meant one thing or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

I'm not being funny (genuinely) but why does anyone need more than 15 to 20 down

More than quick enough for any purpose. Christ back in the UK I've only got 4-5 down because of old external wiring to the house but still streams everything normally

4 times that speed isnt quick enough ??

For your purposes not for mine. Why do people always assume that everyone uses the internet the same way they do?

I will give you some reasons, multiple computers / devices in a household. Sharing of larger files with friends, downloading or watching 4k content. The reasons could be many. I prefer good superfast internet.  I notice the difference and am willing to pay for it. 

Got 3bb fiber and love it. Too bad for the OP they won't install that for him. 

• Like 2