'Don't panic Mr Manwaring' - yet . . .

TorquayFan

Please I am not trying to alarm anyone - it is just info.

A new variant has emerged in South East France - it doesn't look good but it's very earliest days.

I am so fed up with this saga - as is everyone else. https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.24.21268174v1 ATB

Edited by TorquayFan

10 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Not really M8 but IMHO, continue to take care.

We NEED a 'Universal vaccine' . . . . .

A universal vaccine, desirable as that is, will face the same anti-vaccine misinformation as the vaccines that have already saved countless people from serious illness, hospitalization and death.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just noticed it was first discovered in mid november, before Omicron emerged, and since then Omicron took over in France.

Does that not mean the new variant were not able to beat Omicron to the finish line so to speak?

Virt, I've been wondering myself about why a new variant can take over from the old - like Omicron in the UK taking over from Delta. Last night in another place, I saw this clear proposal from an 'eminent', which echoes what you say. So, borrowed from a Friend, here it is :-

"I think any new variant will have to prove more infective than Omicron to succeed. It seems that we can't get 2 Covid infections at the same time, or even a second one shortly after the first, so the virus that gets there first has a huge advantage. If Omicron is infecting 3 patients while Rho only infects 2, the latter doesn't stand a chance".

Let's hope Omicron wins the battle of Covid in France - ATB

• Like 1