SSD Versus HDD

thecyclist

I am about to purchase a new computer. Of all the computers in my price range (up to 20000 Baht), the Dell Vostro 3405 seems to check all the boxes (decent CPU, FHD, RAM 8,Rom 1 TB) except for that it has the outdated HDD, most computers nowadays run on SSD. How much of a difference does it make? 

3 hours ago, thecyclist said:

most computers nowadays run on SSD. How much of a difference does it make?

you can buy the HDD , use it for 2 years, will work great because it is new.

than you can change to SSD, will cost you (in thai repair shop) around 3000 - 4000 baht. SSD is better in the long

run but when new there is no difference.

• Confused 10
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

I am sorry but everything you wrote there is absolute rubbish. Even for the price you quote in a Thai repair shop.

i paid much lower to change the HDD on my laptop to SSD

YOU can find the SSD prices on line (i bought mine at banana IT for 1250 baht 256 GB), and than it cost me 500 baht to replace it  (in that repair shop).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

YOU can find the SSD prices on line (i bought mine at banana IT for 1250 baht 256 GB), and than it cost me 500 baht to replace it  (in that repair shop).

So why did you say it would cost between 3-4000 Baht?

Edited by elfpattaya
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, thecyclist said:

I am about to purchase a new computer. Of all the computers in my price range (up to 20000 Baht), the Dell Vostro 3405 seems to check all the boxes (decent CPU, FHD, RAM 8,Rom 1 TB) except for that it has the outdated HDD, most computers nowadays run on SSD. How much of a difference does it make? 

Nothing special about that laptop. It's actually marketed as a Business laptop; a step down from their Latitude range.

Look for something else.

Are you looking at a 14" screen specifically?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

No one in 2022 should be buying a PC without an SSD.

*if it runs Windows 10, because Windows 10 is simply unusable on HDD.

I do confirm that SSDs are generally faster, but there are nuances too: some cheap SSDs are actually slower than HDDs! you must look for SSDs that

1) have DRAM

2) made with MLC (recommended) or TLC (less recommended, sometimes marketed as "3-bit MLC") technology, not QLC.

QLC SSD without DRAM will be slower than HDD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fdsa said:

*if it runs Windows 10, because Windows 10 is simply unusable on HDD.

I do confirm that SSDs are generally faster, but there are nuances too: some cheap SSDs are actually slower than HDDs! you must look for SSDs that

1) have DRAM

2) made with MLC (recommended) or TLC (less recommended, sometimes marketed as "3-bit MLC") technology, not QLC.

QLC SSD without DRAM will be slower than HDD.

Of course you can use Windows 10 with an HDD. But I agree that you should use an SSD as a Boot drive whenever possible.

1) As a general rule it is better to buy SSD with DRAM, but SSD without DRAM will still be considerably more efficient than HDD.

2) You are getting somewhat carried away with MLC. That will be for Pro drives ???? TLC is normal. If TLC is 3- bit MLC; then QLC is 4-bit MLC. QLC really not of interest unless you are looking for a cheap, very large capacity drive.

QLC without DRAM will still be faster than HDD; since responsiveness is not just about sequential writes. Even without DRAM they will utilise a SLC cache. When the fast cache is full, sequential writes become relatively slow. 

For example, the Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB has a SLC cache of 42GB, so you'll need to be transferring huge files to see a slowdown. 

But currently, I see no reason to buy a QLC SSD at all; unless you need an 8TB drive and it's very cheap. 

In conclusion, the average good standard consumer 2.5" SSD will have a DRAM cache and TLC NAND flash memory. Samsung EVO 870 and Crucial MX500 being two notable examples. 2- bit MLC would be nice, but that will be in the more expensive Pro drives. 1- bit SLC we don't see at all ???? 

I have just one SSD with MLC NAND flash memory, bought many years ago when MLC NAND was the norm.

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Nothing special about that laptop. It's actually marketed as a Business laptop; a step down from their Latitude range.

Look for something else.

Are you looking at a 14" screen specifically?

Thanks for letting me know that this model is nothing special. 14 inch would be ideal size but a little bigger or smaller would be okay. How about the Huawei Mate book D 14 or 15? Specs look good too me. Have been using the same Huawei smartphone for 4 years and very happy with it. Do they make good computers too? Open to suggestions, just has to be under 20 K. 

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Quick check indicates that (3405) may not be an authorized import into Thailand.  Would the 3400 fit?  It is SSD and available on Lazada.  As said you do not want HDD in a laptop.

Thanks. I am currently in Vietnam and Lazada Vietnam has the 3405 on sale. Will check out the 3400. 

19 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Thanks for letting me know that this model is nothing special. 14 inch would be ideal size but a little bigger or smaller would be okay. How about the Huawei Mate book D 14 or 15? Specs look good too me. Have been using the same Huawei smartphone for 4 years and very happy with it. Do they make good computers too? Open to suggestions, just has to be under 20 K. 

Which Huawei device?

Some bulk standard alternatives:

https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-dell/notebook-dell-vostro-v3510-w568258000thcom-carbon-black-

Though check if the warranty is the same as it is here: https://itrinitydell.com/product/notebook-dell/vostro/vostro-3510-15-6/

If you don't mind installing Windows 10/11 yourself then the ACER Travelmate P214 is within budget and is portable. Doesn't cost much and isn't difficult to install the OS.

Search these model numbers individually via Google.

NX.VRAST.00A

NX.VRAST.001

NX.VPNST.01C

Another larger screen laptop possibility: https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-acer/notebook-acer-aspire-vero-av15-51-518u-t006-volcano-gray-

Are you referring to this Huawei? https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-huawei/notebook-huawei-matebook-d15-bohrb-wah9a-space-grey-

31 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Thanks. I am currently in Vietnam and Lazada Vietnam has the 3405 on sale. Will check out the 3400. 

Don't buy anything with an HDD unless it is super cheap. If it is then you can get the manufacturer's service centre to fit an SSD for you in order to protect any warranty.

In other words, don't buy anything not fitted with an SSD if you care about the warranty.

Will you be living in Vietnam? If not, check where the warranty will be honoured.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Which Huawei device?

Some bulk standard alternatives:

https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-dell/notebook-dell-vostro-v3510-w568258000thcom-carbon-black-

Though check if the warranty is the same as it is here: https://itrinitydell.com/product/notebook-dell/vostro/vostro-3510-15-6/

If you don't mind installing Windows 10/11 yourself then the ACER Travelmate P214 is within budget and is portable. Doesn't cost much and isn't difficult to install the OS.

Search these model numbers individually via Google.

NX.VRAST.00A

NX.VRAST.001

NX.VPNST.01C

Another larger screen laptop possibility: https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-acer/notebook-acer-aspire-vero-av15-51-518u-t006-volcano-gray-

Are you referring to this Huawei? https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-huawei/notebook-huawei-matebook-d15-bohrb-wah9a-space-grey-

Yes, that is the one. Price is the same here in Vietnam :Screenshot_20220105-194950.thumb.jpg.0b21cbeef99ae250bad645da70795590.jpg

A quick look at review seems to indicate average laptop and likely not a first choice unless using other Huawei units - but if have other Huawei devices  a very good choice as it mates easily.  But do check on any warranty issues if buying in one country and using in another.   

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1