Has anybody successfully transferred money offshore with Dee Money

Has anybody successfully transferred money offshore with Dee money?

I have tried with Kasikorn and both the call centre and my branch said OK, can do. Then thy said that I needed credit advice notes to prove that the money came from offshore.

OK, off I go to the Bangkok bank main branch in Kamphaeng Phet 65km each way although my account is in their BigC sub branch. the cashier spoke limited English and my Thai is even more limited. No matter, up comes a lady who does speak good English and agreed that the main branch covered everything that the sub branch does. Except that it doesn't. The main branch cannot print out credit advice notes So off I go to the sub branch and the cashier there does not understand my request and so consults with his colleague who isn't sure but goes to a lady in the back office, who in turn rings the call centre. She hands the phone to me and I speak to yet another lady who does understand. I then hand the phone back and after a quick conference the first guy goes to the back office. I do know that it normally takes 3 working days to get stuff like this. 20 minutes later he appears with my credit advice notes. Super.

So I toddle of home ready to go to the KBank on the morrow. Bad news as it was 31st December and the banks were closed until Tuesday for the NYE holidays.

On Tuesday My wife and I (it is a joint account) go to KBank to transfer the money. Cannot. Can says I. It seems as though i can BUT I told the bank lady the transfer was to pay a bill. Where is the invoice? No have says I. No can transfer says the lady. My wife then drags me away before I go berserk and we go home.

I spent the evening surfing the net and come up with Western Union and Dee money. I apply on line with Dee Money but have to wait until today. WU is in the post office and they said that they could do it. Their fee to transfer enough thb to cover USD$750 was just over 3,000 thb.

Back home and a nice lady from Dee has sent me an email and a form to fill in. Out of curiosity I ask how much to transfer $750. 259 thb was the answer. I filled in the second form online and now need to wait for full confirmation tomorrow.

Meanwhile the lady from the KBank call centre rang back and explained that she had spoken to my branch and that they were correct but she still didn't give me a list of excuses that I could use.

I will try one more time in KPP at the Bangkok Bank and it that doesn't work then the transfer will just have to wait until next Friday when I will send it from Wise in the UK away from all this hassle of Thai banking.

So the point of this diatribe (apart from me letting off steam) is this?

Has anybody managed to transfer Thai baht to USD and send it offshore to the USA. If so did you need any extra paperwork?

• Like 1

I cannot comment on transferring $ but I regularly transfer Thai Baht to £. Once your account is set up it is very easy to make a transfer and the rates are much better than with Kasikorn Bank. Lately the transfers have been taking a couple of hours rather than next day.  I normally select Family Expense as the reason for transfer and Money from Savings as the sauce. Never had to produce any extra paperwork.

The only drawback was that I had to open my Account in person at their Branch in Sukhumvit, Soi 8.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesH said:

I cannot comment on transferring $ but I regularly transfer Thai Baht to £. Once your account is set up it is very easy to make a transfer and the rates are much better than with Kasikorn Bank. Lately the transfers have been taking a couple of hours rather than next day.  I normally select Family Expense as the reason for transfer and Money from Savings as the sauce. Never had to produce any extra paperwork.

The only drawback was that I had to open my Account in person at their Branch in Sukhumvit, Soi 8.

I seem to have managed to open mine online over a 24 hour period. However I have no bank details as yet. Their transfer fees appear to be 250 baht fixed per transaction unlike Wise who have a sliding scale.

Just now, topt said:

member @Pibhas in the past - he wrote a number of posts on it when they first started. No idea about recently.

Thank you. I will try to find his posts tomorrow. My eyes keep closing and I suspect that my body is trying to tell me something.

• Like 1

Yes. I regularly transfer THB to SGD and to Euro. Next day, the money gets to where it is supposed to. I opened my Deemoney account remotely, and I transfer cash to them from my Bangkok Bank account using the iPhone app and a QR code. Works like a charm. 

Edited by LogicThai
  • Thanks 1

@billd766I've made a number of international transfers via the K+ App, all have gone through without a hitch and without the need to visit the bank or supply any paperwork.

My last transfer via the App was for 116,000 Baht sent to Singapore, the exchange rate on the day was good and the fee was 250 Baht, the cash arrived the same day.

I wonder if they've changed their procedures? 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LogicThai said:

Yes. I regularly transfer THB to SGD and to Euro. Next day, the money gets to where it is supposed to. I opened my Deemoney account remotely, and I transfer cash to them from my Bangkok Bank account using the iPhone app and a QR code. Works like a charm. 

Thank you for the information. DeeMoney have sent me a 16 character membership number and a short UTube video on what to  do on my mobile. I really wanted to get it onto my pc.

33 minutes ago, rodknock said:

if you use deemoney to send money to a Thailand bank from the U.S. does it show up as an international transfer?

I believe Dee Money only works in the opposite direction, from Thailand to the US.  You can use a company like Wise (formerly TransferWise) to send money from the US to Thailand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Dee money account , i set up Bangkok bank App went to the bank and it was confirmed , my problem is i wanted to do a bank transfer to Dee money , the list of banks that came up dee money was not listed ? i know some here said it was i think swadee bank end result not listed .  I have set up my recipient with Dee money and how much money i want sent , Dee money gave me a QR code to last three hours.  When i return to my Bangkok App do i treat the QR code from Dee money as a bill then try and pay ?

Sorry i am a dinosaur when it comes to keeping up with the times .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

I have a Dee money account , i set up Bangkok bank App went to the bank and it was confirmed , my problem is i wanted to do a bank transfer to Dee money , the list of banks that came up dee money was not listed ? i know some here said it was i think swadee bank end result not listed .  I have set up my recipient with Dee money and how much money i want sent , Dee money gave me a QR code to last three hours.  When i return to my Bangkok App do i treat the QR code from Dee money as a bill then try and pay ?

Sorry i am a dinosaur when it comes to keeping up with the times .

No, you are not a dinosaur at all. Different countries have different banking rules, and within a country there may be different rules with different banks.

Last month I tried to send $1,000 to the USA from Kasikorn Bank. At first my branch were not sure so they rang their call centre for advice who said that they could.

BUT I had to have a credit advice note from the bank that received my pensions to "prove" that MY money actually did come from offshore.

That was the Bangkok bank in Kamphaeng Phet, so I went there 65km each way to the city branch, even though my branch is a sub branch in the BigC mall. Even though I can do anything at the city branch, the credit advice note HAD to be done at the BigC branch. They weren't sure, so they rang their call centre who explained it and they did the 3 credit advice notes on the spot for free.

Back to the KBank after Xmas and I am ready to roll. I took my wife (as it is a joint account) to the cashier who then asked me the reason for the transfer. To pay a bill in the USA says I. Aha, and where is your invoice? What invoice? No invoice, NO transfer. Game over for you.

Eventually I managed to join Dee Money by which time I was so fed up and waited until my pensions came in and sent the money via Wise.

Wise are great for transferring money into Thailand and Dee Money is best for getting it out. The normal banks tell you that they can do it as well but they don't always tell you all that you need to know at one time.

Just persevere and keep plugging away and it will work for you.

• Like 1