What would happen if Visa expired while passport was with immigration to get a new visa?

I think this happened to me decades ago.  If you applied before the expiry date, and submitted all required documents, you should be OK. They won't penalize you for a delay on their side of the counter, or by a third party, such as your employer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CFCol said:

Yes they do. Allways on Samui.

That is about the only office that does.

Most give it back to you with extension stamp done. Some do keep it overnight and you pick it up the next morning.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 9:01 AM, SamuiAddict said:

As the title says, if I was applying for a new visa, and had sent my passport to immigration, if there was some delay and the my current visa expired while the passport was with immigration, what would happen?

Short TLDR. Nothing happens.

You do not usually get visas from immigration (possible but not usual) you get an extension of stay.

However corrections of wording aside, my extension of stay expires every year before I get my renewal stamped in my passport, it is usually 30 days but can be more. I am perfectly legal as long as I have the immigration “return by xx date” stamped in the passport, note; even if I am past the return by date as long as immigration has told me that the paperwork is not back yet.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How else or where else can the extension  be done?

It strikes me as highly unlikely that any immigration office actually requires a passport to be "sent" to them independently of the trip which its holder needs to make in person when applying for an extension of stay!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

It seems likely that the OP is using an agent to apply for the extension of stay. Especially, if the application is being made by the agent out of province, it can take some time until the passport is returned. Commonly, the person affected will call the agent, worried that his original permission to stay date has expired. The agent tells him "the passport is still with immigration" (a lie, but the agent does not want to say the passport has not yet made it back from Nakorn Nowhere). In 99.9% of cases, this is annoying, but nothing to worry about. As ever, when using agents, something can go wrong, but this is rare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1