Dhipaya will not be renewing Covid 19 insurance anymore. Anyone recommend another company?

davidst01

I found out in December that Dhipaya insurance company will not be renewing covid 19 insurance policies anymore. I speculate that they are having to pay out too many claims??? My annual policy previously only cost me 2000 baht. I was surprised about how cheap that was. 

Can anyone recommend a company that offers only covid 19 illness specific insurance for expats living in thailand. Nothing to do with satisfying thailand pass requirements etc. 

thanks

Not likely any will do. 
or at much higher premium. 
think about health insurance, the cheapest around 15-20k. Cover all conditions, accident. 
I have chosen a 3mln one for international travel, with accident topped to 1mln. To lower premium i chosen 300k deductible

Edited by internationalism

Do not use Dhipaya anymore because I find their customer service horrible. 

I tried to renew last year but gave up after trying to communicate with their customer service.

Imagine what would happen if one is infected, it will be very difficult to claim any money.

I heard some people recommending AXA, I have no experience with them so I can't give any opinion whether they are good or not.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I tried to renew last year but gave up after trying to communicate with their customer service.

Imagine what would happen if one is infected, it will be very difficult to claim any money.

Can be a good reason, with any insurance, to use a broker that you trust. They should then take care of these sorts of issues.

With the example you quote I renewed via my broker last March and did not have any of the issues you mention.

If your policy is one of the low-cost personal accident policies that was marketed as a "Covid policy" it is unlikely that you will find an equivalent replacement. These are the policies that are causing an existential crisis for several of the smaller Thai insurance companies.

I had D policy. They sent a fancy renewal package with a card and policy, thai language only. My friend read it and called them. They said this material is for the expiring cover, and that the only new-cover they offer is if you die. I contacted Mr Prakan, they offered cover with another company for ฿7500/year, any age. Many medical questions on application. I Googled the company, found they never answer the phone, don't speak English, and don't pay claims. Only alternative is full medical cover, expensive and required full expensive doctors exam and labs, possibly raising price. Plus, the daily hospital rates are so low that you are basically self insuring. Im American, age 68, so Medicare is not allowed to cover you overseas beyond 60 days. I’m looking for ideas. 

9 hours ago, topt said:

Can be a good reason, with any insurance, to use a broker that you trust. They should then take care of these sorts of issues.

With the example you quote I renewed via my broker last March and did not have any of the issues you mention.

In the current circumstances March 2021 is a long time ago.

I initially thought the company named was pretty good and they did agree to a renewal but at the last minute (late Dec 2021) they withdrew.

7 hours ago, flbkk said:

I had D policy. They sent a fancy renewal package with a card and policy, thai language only. My friend read it and called them. They said this material is for the expiring cover, and that the only new-cover they offer is if you die. I contacted Mr Prakan, they offered cover with another company for ฿7500/year, any age. Many medical questions on application. I Googled the company, found they never answer the phone, don't speak English, and don't pay claims. Only alternative is full medical cover, expensive and required full expensive doctors exam and labs, possibly raising price. Plus, the daily hospital rates are so low that you are basically self insuring. Im American, age 68, so Medicare is not allowed to cover you overseas beyond 60 days. I’m looking for ideas. 

Me too, at 77 yo.

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Do not use Dhipaya anymore because I find their customer service horrible. 

I heard some people recommending AXA, I have no experience with them so I can't give any opinion whether they are good or not.

From my experience don,t trust any of them.

At your age only pacific cross. Premium around 100k with the highest deductible 300k. 
AA is recommended one by some, but in need i was dealing directly with April. I had to argue with them to solve out trivial problems. They agents were changing all the time, which doesnt help and delays action. 

Now i am with misterprakan and ok. However they have forced on me an unnecessary add on OPD.
After objection they corrected policy within days; but havent refunded it since 4.12, despite sending multiple emails. 
They blame pacific cross for slow action

Edited by internationalism

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

In the current circumstances March 2021 is a long time ago.

I initially thought the company named was pretty good and they did agree to a renewal but at the last minute (late Dec 2021) they withdrew.

Which is completely different circumstances to the poster I replied to was suggesting.

On 1/8/2022 at 12:09 AM, huyuli said:

I paid 7500 baht for one year but I have not made a claim so I can't offer an opinion.

image.png.1cb7a91d8983e298f590c27a5f619953.png

Google ratings for that company. I can't quote due to computer crimes act.

Mister Prakan also quoted me Pacific Cross. 1. It is expensive for the cover provided. Look at the rates they pay per day in hospital vs. the annual premium per year. My benchmark is a 3 week hospital stay, 1 week of that in ICU. Add up the per-day rate and per-visit doctor charges allowed. The total (21 x doctor rate), 14 x (room/board/nursing rate) and 7 x (ICU rate) is often only a little more that the annual premium, making similar to self-insurance. 

33 minutes ago, rbkk said:

https://www.dhipaya.co.th/en/product-detail-10-37-12.html

I have the top one which is only 850 baht and still seems to be available. Don't know what you had at 2,000 baht. This is different to the DhipayaLife weblink........ ( https://www.dhipayalife.co.th/covid-19)

So it seems that they still offer the covid policy. Why then are the sales staff being so daft and not renewing old policies. Seems rather odd. 

I have had no prob with Aetna (recent surgery no hitch) but I pay a damn lot with 40k OPD and no excesses. No dental included but complex stuff covered in my Platinum.

It's big and I think owned in the USA. I think they bought out BUPA here, so my broker moved me directly.

I think now that I have paid for years, the cover is forever.

Any thoughts?

Eddy