Are locks standardized here?

Polar Bear

On 1/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, Polar Bear said:

Because you are continuing to be fake-outraged about things that were never said, when I am just trying to buy a lock for a gate. 

Please, take it somewhere else.

You implied inferior  service  or resources  here compared to the west. If you ask for help on a public forum expect a public reaction to your question.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

You implied inferior  service  or resources  here compared to the west. If you ask for help on a public forum expect a public reaction to your question.

I mentioned the potential for a difference in service. If you automatically assume every difference assumes inferiority, that's your bigotry at play, not mine.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 11:20 AM, Yellowtail said:

I don't know why WD-40 seems to get so much hate, I think it is a fine products and I have been using it for at least 50 years. 

To be clear, it is not a long-term or heavy duty lubricant, but it is not now nor has it ever been sold as such. Why would anything on the label lead anyone to believe this is a long term or heavy duty lubricant? 

WD-40.JPG.5f57d9399d58a394243c316bb76e0a0e.JPG

Free advertising for this oily water! A good friend in the Oil + Gas industry said, its banned on rigs! Dilutes essential  lubrication!   Clever advertising cxxr product! 

8 minutes ago, Paddy 696 said:

Free advertising for this oily water! A good friend in the Oil + Gas industry said, its banned on rigs! Dilutes essential  lubrication!   Clever advertising cxxr product! 

A "good friend" in the aerospace industry said it was used extensively on the Space Shuttle. You can occasionally find the commemorative  cans on Ebay. 

1 hour ago, Paddy 696 said:

This makes sense.  Oil rigs need heavy grease as lubricant, not light machine oil. And certainly not one containing a solvent. Oil rig fittings are under huge pressures, so grease is the only choice here.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

A "good friend" in the aerospace industry said it was used extensively on the Space Shuttle. You can occasionally find the commemorative  cans on Ebay. 

This too makes perfect sense. The light pressures of the shuttle's inner workings need a light machine oil, as found in WD-40. But, in a Zero-gravity condition, the oil needs to be really thinned for use, exactly what the Stoddard Solvent does for it before it evaporates leaving a thin oil film. No pressure on the connections, and very little heat. Obviously, there is NO lubrication that can stand up to the extreme temperatures found OUTSIDE the space shuttle.

The two of you are correct... There is no one single lubrication that is appropriate for ALL situations. We need to match the lubricant to its intended job.

To bring this back to the OP's original needs for her lock, there are only two choices;

Light machine oil such as found in WD-40, or any of the other brands with various additives, or

Powdered graphite, which was the choice of locksmiths until about 30 years ago. It does work well so long as it doesn't get mixed with oil later on.

Edited by FolkGuitar

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

To bring this back to the OP's original needs for her lock, there are only two choices;

Light machine oil such as found in WD-40, or any of the other brands with various additives, or

Powdered graphite, which was the choice of locksmiths until about 30 years ago. It does work well so long as it doesn't get mixed with oil later on.

There is actually a 3rd which is a dry PTFE spray A better lubricant

Edited by sometimewoodworker