Non O Extension Of Stay Marriage

Wow - time traveller lol. I assume your visa is usable from the first date and you propose to trigger it on the 2nd date by arriving in Thailand? The clock starts to tick when you land in Thailand.

Before you come if you intend to remain here with a spouse or retire you need to get papers from your home country stamped by the embassy in that country otherwise you'll use a visa and waste it with missing papers. Do your homework first. Also get all necessary papers legalised in your home country, then once here a priority is to get them translated and legalised by the Thai Authorities. You also need to get your passport legalised by your own embassy in Thailand.

Thais are anal about paperwork. As far as they are concerned you can never have too much. You also need to show money in a Thai bank. How much depends on extension for marriage or for retirement. 

I am assuming you are intending to remain long-term, if not ignore all the foregoing drivel, your answer is the clock ticks from arrival, the other date is when the visa is valid from.

36 minutes ago, smoo1954 said:

I enter Thailand 16/02/2022

Do I apply for extension 60 days after visa issue date or 60 days after entry date?

On entry you will be given 90 days permission of stay.

In the last 30 days apply for your annual extension.

If your extension is based on marriage you will require 400k in bank account for 2 month prior to application for extension. 

Do you have Thai bank account in your name only.

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Wow - time traveller lol. I assume your visa is usable from the first date and you propose to trigger it on the 2nd date by arriving in Thailand? The clock starts to tick when you land in Thailand.

Before you come if you intend to remain here with a spouse or retire you need to get papers from your home country stamped by the embassy in that country otherwise you'll use a visa and waste it with missing papers. Do your homework first. Also get all necessary papers legalised in your home country, then once here a priority is to get them translated and legalised by the Thai Authorities. You also need to get your passport legalised by your own embassy in Thailand.

Thais are anal about paperwork. As far as they are concerned you can never have too much. You also need to show money in a Thai bank. How much depends on extension for marriage or for retirement. 

I am assuming you are intending to remain long-term, if not ignore all the foregoing drivel, your answer is the clock ticks from arrival, the other date is when the visa is valid from.

Why do you need to get your passport "legalised" by your own embassy in Thailand? In fact, what does getting your passport "legalised" mean? Never had my passport "legalised". It's never been a requirement for me when applying for marriage/retirement extensions of stay. AFAIK, the only reason for having marriage documents processed in your own country would be if you didn't get married in Thailand. Not sure what the exact requirements are when you get married outside of Thailand but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can advise on that. The OP has not provided any info as to where he got married.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Why do you need to get your passport "legalised" by your own embassy in Thailand? In fact, what does getting your passport "legalised" mean? Never had my passport "legalised". It's never been a requirement for me when applying for marriage/retirement extensions of stay. AFAIK, the only reason for having marriage documents processed in your own country would be if you didn't get married in Thailand. Not sure what the exact requirements are when you get married outside of Thailand but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can advise on that. The OP has not provided any info as to where he got married.

Those docs are part of what is needed if you apply for a Tabien Baan and pink i.d card and if you marry outside of Thailand you need to get papers from home country legalised. If you don't care about getting a Tabien Baan ((yellow book) or pink i.d card then don't bother, just get  what is needed for the extension and if he married in Thailand so much easier. As an afterthought, he'll need a paper from the amphur to show he isn't suing for a divorce, (kor ror) as part of his application for extension. Has to get a new one of those every year. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Those docs are part of what is needed if you apply for a Tabien Baan and pink i.d card and if you marry outside of Thailand you need to get papers from home country legalised. If you don't care about getting a Tabien Baan ((yellow book) or pink i.d card then don't bother, just get  what is needed for the extension and if he married in Thailand so much easier. As an afterthought, he'll need a paper from the amphur to show he isn't suing for a divorce, (kor ror) as part of his application for extension. Has to get a new one of those every year. 

Fair enough. As you didn't mention yellow tabbien Baan/ID card in your original post, it appeared that you were implying that those docs were required for an extension of stay. Makes more sense now.

Is this "kor ror 2" required for the first marriage extension? I ask because my marriage certificate is 2 weeks old.. do you still have to prove you are not divorced? If so, how long is this paper valid? Does it have to be issued on application day like the proof of financials?

7 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Is this "kor ror 2" required for the first marriage extension? I ask because my marriage certificate is 2 weeks old.. do you still have to prove you are not divorced? If so, how long is this paper valid? Does it have to be issued on application day like the proof of financials?

You will need a copy of the Kor Ror 2 marriage registry given to you when you registered your marriage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MajorTom said:

A Kor Ror 2 is required for every extension.   Easily obtained from your Amphur, and costs circa 30 baht.   In Phuket at least, it cannot be more than 180 days old.

• Like 1