10,000 Anti-coup Demonstrators Expected At Sanam Luang Rally

george

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And reiterating my comment earlier:

ABAC Poll: Most Thais oppose anti-government rally

BANGKOK – As many as 71.2 per cent of all respondents in a recent public opinion survey disagreed with the anti-government rally currently being held in Bangkok, and only 15.5 per cent supported the demonstrators.

Assumption University's ABAC Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said the survey queried 4,135 people in 24 provinces nationwide June 10-23.

Nearly all respondents -- 96.4 per cent -- said the ongoing rally would only dishearten His Majesty the King, while 95.6 per cent said they wanted the Thais to unite and 94 per cent voiced concerns that the situation would worsen the country's economy.

- MCOT

I wonder what the questions were?

CPD opposes to amendments to Internal Security Act

June 24, 2007 : Last updated 06:31 pm (Thai local time)

The Campaign for Popular Democracy will oppose changes to the Internal Security Act because they violate human rights, its secretary-general Suriyasai Katasila said Sunday.

If the military-backed government passes the amendments it will validate claims the junta wants to cling to power, he said.

"The government will face public opposition if it passes this bill. It must wait for an elected government to consider this important security legislation," he said.

He said the country needed a national security master plan. Before laws were passed, public hearings are required, he added.

The Cabinet last week accepted in principle amendments to the act. They give the Internal Security Operations Command, or Isoc, the power to detain people and seize assets without court sanction.

The Nation

chinthee there's a clue in the above , a very big one ...............

Lukamar, you have a medical background.

When a medical team of psychiatric technicians or nurses goes to restrain a patient on the psychiatric ward, do those people remove all their identification, badges, etc. prior to taking action?

Now then, why do they do that, do you think?

No they don't or they wouldn't get out of the lock-down area. To use your analogy, they would have to unstitch their names from the front of their white coats before doing their work. This action is called sterilizing and it's often used by the military, not only in Thailand, so they will not easily be identified. It could easily be to make it hard to identify security personnel in the event they use excessive force. I just find it interesting that in this instance, in front of the Army headquarters, they chose not to wear their normal police uniforms when they did previously when they were worried that the situation may turn violent.

p1.jpg

Previous PTV rally.

I apologize.. I guess I assumed you had more specific medical knowledge regarding that specific practice than that, but I was wrong.

Spin it any way you want, it still does not change the fact the people in question have been sterilized and you cannot tell if they are police, military or unemployed rubber tappers trying to earn 200Bt a day. I realize you don't think heavily about these things often. :D:o I just found it interesting they were sanitized in such a way. BTW - Woven insignias would not cause them or anyone else, any type of medical hazard but would offer them some identification which obviously, to some of us, was not wanted for some reason.

I apologize.. I guess I assumed you had more specific medical knowledge regarding that specific practice than that, but I was wrong.

Spin it any way you want, it still does not change the fact the people in question have been sterilized and you cannot tell if they are police, military or unemployed rubber tappers trying to earn 200Bt a day. I realize you don't think heavily about these things often. :D:o I just found it interesting they were sanitized in such a way. BTW - Woven insignias would not cause them or anyone else, any type of medical hazard but would offer them some identification which obviously, to some of us, was not wanted for some reason.

It means, simply, that they are expecting trouble. And they don't want to be the ones in the firing line if Toxin's mob get back in. Victor's justice and all that...

i cannot believe that some people here still buys this sanam luang stuff. most of the people who joins the rally are all being paid! it's thaksin vs junta, who would you choose? thaksin is the master of all the puppets who are rallying in SL and they have to do it to get to the news locally and internationally. also, T is doing everything he can to get publicity. i prefer the junta than T.

Spin it any way you want, it still does not change the fact the people in question have been sterilized and you cannot tell if they are police, military or unemployed rubber tappers trying to earn 200Bt a day. I realize you don't think heavily about these things often. I just found it interesting they were sanitized in such a way. BTW - Woven insignias would not cause them or anyone else, any type of medical hazard but would offer them some identification which obviously, to some of us, was not wanted for some reason.

ok, since nothing of note is happening with this dead thread... we'll give it one more shot to try to have you understand something fairly basic.

Now then, have a look at this photo from yesterday at Sanam Luang:

r1031679239.jpg

Do you see the difference between these policemen and the ones in your photo? What have they taken off... name tags and medals and whatnot, right? They normally have sharp points on the inside of the shirt. Now then, why did do that? For the same reason the psychiatric technicians do. In the case of the psychiatric technicians, it's so that that they nor the patient gets inadvertantly injured as well as lessening the chance that their clothing is torn.

Were they expecting an increased risk of trouble as the mob made it's way to Army Headquarters? Undoubtedly yes... these TRT guys are getting desperate, as the tail end of this thread thoroughly details, so yes, it's understandable that they perceive an increased likelihood of trouble from these paid-for mob (or unpaid, but promised to be paid-for mob).

i cannot believe that some people here still buys this sanam luang stuff. most of the people who joins the rally are all being paid! it's thaksin vs junta, who would you choose? thaksin is the master of all the puppets who are rallying in SL and they have to do it to get to the news locally and internationally. also, T is doing everything he can to get publicity. i prefer the junta than T.

It says a lot about Thailand when you have to decide between two evils such as that with no third option on the menu! :o

EDITORIAL

Saying no to the extremists

The silent majority who follow the middle path could lead Thailand out of its political crisis

There are those who don't like Thaksin but can't wait for the day the Council for National Security leaves the scene. There are those who are totally against the coup but think that the anti-coup protest will have the adverse outcome of prolonging the military presence in politics. In other words, there are those who think that it's not right to assume that those who shout louder have a greater right as Thai citizens. And now is probably the right time for peace-loving people to get out of their own "silence equals neutrality" mindset. According to Prawase, the neutrals can remain what they are even after screaming "enough is enough". A show of force can achieve peace, Prawase thinks. But it has to be natural, and not ambitious.

www.nationmultimedia.com

oh , but there is a third option .

For the same reason the psychiatric technicians do. In the case of the psychiatric technicians, it's so that that they nor the patient gets inadvertantly injured as well as lessening the chance that their clothing is torn.

You have convinced me John. You definitely have had much more contact with psychiatric technicians than I ever will have. The fact still remains that a decal, from a police helmet, in the wrong hands has never caused an injury greater than a paper cut, which in my medical opinion is easily treated by most laymen.

Police in all jurisdictions, even when confronted with serious threats, dress accordingly including insignia and or a way to designate them. This is a pic from the Texas Tactical Police Officers Association webpage. See the stuff they carry? Including a Police Designation.

train-hard.jpg

Edited by lukamar

In the interests of allowing this dead thread to finally rest in peace, I'll close by simply saying, "Thanks for that information and I agree, the Texas Tactical Police Officers appear well equipped to handle the DAAD protestors massing at the Alamo in San Antonio."

CNS Chairman believes officials can control demonstration

The Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, believes the anti-coup demonstration at Sanam Luang will not exacerbate.

Gen. Sonthi has assessed the demonstration, saying the demonstration should not escalate since the government and the security units are able to control the situation. Gen. Sonthi says he is not worried if the demonstrators’ provincial allies will join the stage because the officials will be able to obstruct them from entering Bangkok.

As for the secret tape revealing the coup’s operation, Gen. Sonthi says the police officials have gathered the information being presented to the people, and will consider whether legal steps will be taken.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 25 June 2007

From the same ABAC surview published in the Nation - only 13% support the junta and the current government. 7% oppose it, 80% does not have and opinion.

People are wating for elections.

Anti coup protests do not have popular support.

What else is new?

officials will be able to obstruct them from entering Bangkok.

The junta is disrupting everything why not a few protesters and democracy.

Gen. Sonthi says the police officials have gathered the information being presented to the people, and will consider whether legal steps will be taken

and in case no law applies we will quickly write one up to apply and make it retroactive. He also said secret tapes could only be used for prosecuting the TRT and they would also pass a law making that retroactive as it is a national security issue.

BTW SJ, you seem to be overridden, as this dead thread has been resurrected by the moderation team.

BTW SJ, you seem to be overridden, as this dead thread has been resurrected by the moderation team.

Whilst the demonstrations continue, with still more planned, I see no need to close this thread unless some eclipsing news event breaks that makes this topic redundant.

Whilst the demonstrations continue, with still more planned, I see no need to close this thread unless some eclipsing news event breaks that makes this topic redundant.

We all agree with you, well except one.. :o

CNS Chairman believes officials can control demonstration

The Royal Thai Army Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin, believes the anti-coup demonstration at Sanam Luang will not exacerbate.

Gen. Sonthi has assessed the demonstration, saying the demonstration should not escalate since the government and the security units are able to control the situation. Gen. Sonthi says he is not worried if the demonstrators’ provincial allies will join the stage because the officials will be able to obstruct them from entering Bangkok.

As for the secret tape revealing the coup’s operation, Gen. Sonthi says the police officials have gathered the information being presented to the people, and will consider whether legal steps will be taken.

I dont know why anyone would worry about that tape. It was poor quality (and consdiering Thailands histroy of faked politcal tapes, could have been a fake). It didnt have anything of real significance on it and certainly did not positively show who did what in the election commission saga. It was as a Thai colleague said to me a tape of a bunch of people gossiping about the politcal situation at a certain time that although vaguely interesting actually didnt add anything new. Of the weekends events it seems if Thai people are intereted in anything from the pro-Thaksin mob (and they dont seem very interested) it is the recently leaked lurid details of Jakrapob's sex life.

And reiterating my comment earlier:

ABAC Poll: Most Thais oppose anti-government rally

BANGKOK – As many as 71.2 per cent of all respondents in a recent public opinion survey disagreed with the anti-government rally currently being held in Bangkok, and only 15.5 per cent supported the demonstrators.

Assumption University's ABAC Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said the survey queried 4,135 people in 24 provinces nationwide June 10-23.

Nearly all respondents -- 96.4 per cent -- said the ongoing rally would only dishearten His Majesty the King, while 95.6 per cent said they wanted the Thais to unite and 94 per cent voiced concerns that the situation would worsen the country's economy.

- MCOT

These figures are astounding and certainly beyond debate. They seem to increase with every poll. It is a positive thing that these paid demonstrations are now seen for what they are.

We all agree with you, well except one.. :o

You have a penchant for misreading posts it seems. I wasn't calling for this threads closure, merely pointing that it's run its course AKA "dead." The rallies are dwindling, the people are against them, and nothing new is developing from their speeches. Unless the PTV mob resort to provoking violence, within the week, it'll be on page 3.

Metropol Commissioner ask Sanam Luang demonstrators to refrain from provocative statements

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner asked Sanam Luang demonstrators to exercise caution when conducting political activities due to the danger of defamation.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Adisorn Nonsri (อดิศร นนทรีย) reported that whether demonstration activities in Sanam Luang would continue or undergo a new direction depended on demonstration leaders. Pol Lt Gen Adisorn said that the duties of law enforcement officers are to expedite public convenience and ensure the safety of demonstration participants and local citizens.

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner would like to ask demonstrators to refrain from provocative statements aimed at senior figures in the nation as the action would be inappropriate.

Pol Lt Gen Adisorn asked demonstrators not to repeat statements which may border on defamation and result in lawsuits.

Metropol Police to deploy 150 police officers to safeguard residence of Gen.Prem

The Metropolitan Police Bureau has a plan to deploy more than 150 of police officers to monitor demonstrators in front of the residence of President of the Privy Council Gen.Prem Tinsulanonda. The police also strictly ban the use of loudspeaker in front of the residence.

Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Lt.Gen.Adisorn Nonsee (อดิศร นนทรีย์) reveals that the police have prepared security measures to deal with demonstrators who will submit a letter to Gen.Prem today at his residence to call for his resignation. The commissioner says the police requested the demonstration leaders to make sure that their followers will stay inside the designated area. They are prohibited from entering the residence of the President of the Privy Council.

The commissioner says if the demonstration leaders agree to abide by the police’s security measures, a few of them will be allowed to submit the letter to Chief of the Office of the Privy Council, Vice Admiral Phrajul Tampratheep (พระจุล ตามประทีป).

The commissioner adds that people who found that their name has been used without permission to remove the President of the Privy Council can file a complaint with the police.

The commissioner also asks the demonstrators not to arrange activities to stir up the situation such as those on June 23rd. He affirms those who feel that they have been wronged by demonstrations can file a libel lawsuit against the demonstrators.

Interior Minister requests for a compromise with demonstrators

Minister of Interior Aree Wongarya (อารีย์ วงศ์อารยะ) has requested to speak to the demonstrators at Sanam Luang for a negotiation after they have submitted a document asking for the resignation of Privy Councilor and Statesman Prem Tinsulanon.

Mr. Aree views demonstrators should send their representatives to discuss matters with the government. He has urged them to stop stirring up political situation as it will not benefit anybody.

Interior Minister says the continual rally will damage the country and slow down the investment climate.

Government agrees with proposal for public forum between officials, CNS, and demonstrators

The government is ready to act as a mediator in creating political understanding among parties in order to create peace in society.

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Social Development and Human Security Mr. Paiboon Wattansiritham (ไพบูลย์ วัฒนศิริธรรม) conducted an interview to report on the incident in which honorary senior citizen MD Prawes Wasri (ประเวส วะสี) proposed that officials establish a public forum comprised of state officials, Council for National Security officials, and Sanam Luang demonstrators to conduct negotiations in order to develop peace in society. Mr. Paiboon agreed with the proposal but believes that it will not be necessary for the government to supervise the forum.

The Deputy Prime Minister believes that the public forum may start out with a small number of participants then expand to include additional members from relevant parties. Mr. Paiboon affirms that government officials are ready to participate in, or act as mediators for the forum. He added that Thai society is diverse and conflicting beliefs are a normal facet of life, but if conflicting parties negotiated and compromised, a suitable conclusion can be reached.

30037750-01.jpg

A woman shows Chatukham Rammathep amulet which had photo of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The woman, identified herself as Noi, from Yasothorn province, was among anti-coup protesters who protested in front of Privy Councillor chief Gen Prem Tinsulanond's residence.

Source: The Nation - 25 June 2007

There is one point here partially related to this. There was in one of the newspaper reports of cars angrily honking their horns at the group. I just wanted to say it was not only there. Over the past few weeks I have heard the same on Sukhumvit but not to any great extent. I however did not bother to check if it was a Thai or a New Yorker behind the wheel. I don’t need to tell you that this stuff is wearing a little thin on nearly everyone.