UK Standard Visit Visa (Family) Application (Probably 10 year)

I am just helping my wife with her next UK Standard visit visa application. She has previously be granted 3 x 1 year visas and the last one a 5 year visa. As we visit and travel together once a year to visit my young family she is going to apply for a 10 year visa as she has a good reason and a good travel history. 

This is her fist application via the new process since the last application was over 5 years ago. I am sponsoring her visit and have previously submitted many photocopies etc to prove finance ie bank statements etc.

My question is. What exactly are they now asking for from me to provide proof of finance. The guide notes say

4. If you have a sponsor

If someone else (your sponsor) is providing your travel, maintenance or accommodation you should provide evidence showing:

• what support is being provided and whether it extends to any dependent family
  • how this support is being provided

Do they want me to send bank statements? If so how many months? or is it batter to enclose other proof such as

(1) I can provide separate proof of income

(2) I can provide proof of State Pension

(3) I can provide proof of outright home home ownership in the UK

Your thoughts please @Tony M@theoldgit@7by7

Thank You

I don't see any real problems.  Normally, UKVI like to see 3 months of bank statements. You can delete most of the account number if you wish.  If the statements confirm evidence of income and pension, then that will help, and you can expand the details in a supporting letter.   Evidence of accommodation is needed, and evidence of ownership (if the address is the same address that the applicant is going to) will be sufficient. I don't think you will have any problem.

2 hours ago, Tony M said:

I don't see any real problems.  Normally, UKVI like to see 3 months of bank statements. You can delete most of the account number if you wish.  If the statements confirm evidence of income and pension, then that will help, and you can expand the details in a supporting letter.   Evidence of accommodation is needed, and evidence of ownership (if the address is the same address that the applicant is going to) will be sufficient. I don't think you will have any problem.

Thank you for the prompt detailed response. Just a follow up if I may. 

I have my company pension paid into my bank account monthly and come April my UK State Pension. About £2,500. How much money are they looking to see in a bank account? I prefer not to leave large sums in my account. I can if necessary arrange for a sum of money to be deposited in my account but I dont want to do that and it could be counter productive.

I can show about £3,500 in a savings account, £15,000 in UK Shares and available credit on my cards of about £30,000. I own my house in the UK outright, no mortgage.

Thanks again

I personally would concentrate on the income from pensions and not bother too much on the savings / investments. I usually include a letter out-lining my income and my property situation and send print-outs of my bank statements which clearly show the income as pensions. As this income is 'guaranteed' I presume they view it as being as satisfactory evidence you can support her whilst in the UK.

I owned my own house outright and simply included a copy of the deeds (Land registry) together with a council tax bill.  She has been before and complied with the visa regulations so I can't see a problem.

My only gripe is having to fill in a completely new form every time when they presumably have the details and history already.

• Like 1

Just now, jimn said:

Thank you for the prompt detailed response. Just a follow up if I may. 

I have my company pension paid into my bank account monthly and come April my UK State Pension. About £2,500. How much money are they looking to see in a bank account? I prefer not to leave large sums in my account. I can if necessary arrange for a sum of money to be deposited in my account but I dont want to do that and it could be counter productive.

I can show about £3,500 in a savings account, £15,000 in UK Shares and available credit on my cards of about £30,000. I own my house in the UK outright, no mortgage.

Thanks again

There is no stated correct amount.  If she is not paying for any of the visit herself, your wife must be able to show that the available support is adequate for her visit, that  includes, maybe, ticket some spending money etc.  From what you say, you can evidence your monthly income sufficiently in the bank statements (highlight the pension payments). But that depends, of course, on how long she needs the "support", as support for one month would be less than for six months.  However, I would also provide evidence (statements) of your share "savings" just to be safe.  If you send regular support to your wife, then mention in any supporting letter (or in the "any other information section on the application form) that the money you usually send to her is, of course, available to her while she is in the UK.   Your wife's application should be considered as a "non-complex"  application as she has had UK visas before and has not, presumably, abused the visa system (by working, overstaying, etc).

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

There is no stated correct amount.  If she is not paying for any of the visit herself, your wife must be able to show that the available support is adequate for her visit, that  includes, maybe, ticket some spending money etc.  From what you say, you can evidence your monthly income sufficiently in the bank statements (highlight the pension payments). But that depends, of course, on how long she needs the "support", as support for one month would be less than for six months.  However, I would also provide evidence (statements) of your share "savings" just to be safe.  If you send regular support to your wife, then mention in any supporting letter (or in the "any other information section on the application form) that the money you usually send to her is, of course, available to her while she is in the UK.   Your wife's application should be considered as a "non-complex"  application as she has had UK visas before and has not, presumably, abused the visa system (by working, overstaying, etc).

Ok thank you Tony. We live together in Thailand and travel together to the UK. I do not give her a set amount just money in cash when she needs it once a week 1000 baht. I pay for all our bills from my account and shopping in Lotus etc on my card. Its non complex works for us, I just hope UKV1 understand.

Edited by jimn

On 1/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, DaLa said:

I personally would concentrate on the income from pensions and not bother too much on the savings / investments. I usually include a letter out-lining my income and my property situation and send print-outs of my bank statements which clearly show the income as pensions. As this income is 'guaranteed' I presume they view it as being as satisfactory evidence you can support her whilst in the UK.

I owned my own house outright and simply included a copy of the deeds (Land registry) together with a council tax bill.  She has been before and complied with the visa regulations so I can't see a problem.

My only gripe is having to fill in a completely new form every time when they presumably have the details and history already.

Cheers sorry I didnt respond I missed your reply.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, Tony M said:

Your wife's application should be considered as a "non-complex"  application as she has had UK visas before and has not, presumably, abused the visa system (by working, overstaying, etc).

Hi Tony, if I may a quick follow up from my topic from last month. We plan to go back to the UK on May 25th. With the current delays in processing applications, when do you think would be the best time to submit the application. I was thinking about March 20th, that would be just over 9 weeks. Is this enough time in the current environment.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Hi Tony, if I may a quick follow up from my topic from last month. We plan to go back to the UK on May 25th. With the current delays in processing applications, when do you think would be the best time to submit the application. I was thinking about March 20th, that would be just over 9 weeks. Is this enough time in the current environment.

There isn't any answer to that question, I'm afraid.  At the moment it's around 6 weeks, but I did hear, unofficially, that all Thailand visa processing has now been moved to the UK.  I can't confirm that, but if that is correct, then processing times could change in either direction.

3 hours ago, Tony M said:

There isn't any answer to that question, I'm afraid.  At the moment it's around 6 weeks, but I did hear, unofficially, that all Thailand visa processing has now been moved to the UK.  I can't confirm that, but if that is correct, then processing times could change in either direction.

Ok thanks Tony, I think we will apply soon as possible then.

• 2 months later...

Just an update to my topic. My wife applied for the 10 year Standard Visit Visa on March 24th, using the normal service. She received the successful visa today April 13th via Thai Post EMS. This was a total of 10 working days in all. I would like to thank @Tony Mfor taking the time to respond to my questions. It looks like if you have a good solid case for a visa the turn around times are nothing like the 6 weeks as published.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, jimn said:

Just an update to my topic. My wife applied for the 10 year Standard Visit Visa on March 24th, using the normal service. She received the successful visa today April 13th via Thai Post EMS. This was a total of 10 working days in all. I would like to thank @Tony Mfor taking the time to respond to my questions. It looks like if you have a good solid case for a visa the turn around times are nothing like the 6 weeks as published.

Glad to hear that.

I have to go through the same process in a few weeks, can you tell me how you paid the fee, it's around 800 gbp for a 10 year visa now is it not?

We live in Chiang Mai and understand there is now a VHS office here so can deliver everything  there when she has her biometrics done.

Like you she has had a combo of visas, last one being 5 years but that has expired.

I can't remember  where I downloaded the application form from or is it all done online with attachments  now?

Many thanks  have a great trip

TP

6 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Glad to hear that.

I have to go through the same process in a few weeks, can you tell me how you paid the fee, it's around 800 gbp for a 10 year visa now is it not?

We live in Chiang Mai and understand there is now a VHS office here so can deliver everything  there when she has her biometrics done.

Like you she has had a combo of visas, last one being 5 years but that has expired.

I can't remember  where I downloaded the application form from or is it all done online with attachments  now?

Many thanks  have a great trip

TP

Hi there. Its all on this link

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor/apply-standard-visitor-visa

You have to create an account and fill in various personal details, pay for the application on line and then make an appointment to submit the bio metrics in person. I also paid about 250 baht for the passport to be returned via secure Thai Post. You have to upload the various documents to the site in various sections. It doesnt have to be uploaded all in one go, you can upload a new document up to 24 hours before the appointment. Its fairly straightforward. I uploaded about 20 documents including my UK property, pension, bank statements, sponsor letter, marriage certificate, my passport details, house, car, bike ownership, also my wife's bank details and a few other things.

Good luck

Edited by jimn
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, jimn said:

Hi

May I ask if we can apply for a 10 year visa without pre booking flights?
The reason being with my elderly parents in the UK, we want to be able to travel at short notice in case of illness etc.

My Thai wife of 10 years has a travel history of 3 times to the UK and 7 times to the EU.
She's also had US and AUS visas before, and has never been refused a visa.
Providing documents of marriage, finance etc would not be a problem. 

Best regards
JK.

Edited by sunflowerbkk22

15 hours ago, sunflowerbkk22 said:
Hi

The reason being with my elderly parents in the UK, we want to be able to travel at short notice in case of illness etc.

My Thai wife of 10 years has a travel history of 3 times to the UK and 7 times to the EU.

Best regards
JK.

Yes in fact they recommend not to book flights before the visa is approved. Personally I did because I saw a good deal and I was confident of getting the visa.

19 hours ago, sunflowerbkk22 said:
Hi

Best regards
JK.

Weirdly you only get to supply the last 2 visits to the UK, EU and AUS, yet you have to provide every visit to any other country at any time in history that isn't UK/EU/AUS/NZ..  so weather in total its 10 or 2 for those "prestige" countries won't matter..

We uploaded a screenshot of google flights with the name plannediternary.pdf with nothing booked to the broken VFS portal (you get a link after completing and paying the app on gov.uk) but pretty sure it wasn't required and we definitely told not to book flights in advance during the app process.

Edited by mnomad

3 hours ago, mnomad said:

We uploaded a screenshot of google flights with the name plannediternary.pdf with nothing booked to the broken VFS portal (you get a link after completing and paying the app on gov.uk) but pretty sure it wasn't required and we definitely told not to book flights in advance during the app process.

9. Documents you should not use as evidence

Some types of documents are less useful as evidence in visit applications. These include:

• bank statements or letters issued more than 1 year before the date of application
  • credit card statements
  • driving licence
  • educational certificates that are not listed as required for your visa
  • evidence of car ownership
  • personal photographs
  • notarial certificates
  • business cards
  • hotel bookings
  • flight bookings (unless transiting)
  • photocopies of bank cards
  • certificates relating to leisure activities, for example sports trophies
  • travel insurance
  • sponsor’s utility bills
  • sponsor’s council tax bills

You may be asked to provide additional information by a decision maker.