Having trouble getting a certificate of residency for a car purchase

9 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

Getting a COR from Immigration ,apart from requiring one to obtain driving licence , has almost become a no no - very difficult !

So have you used the "affirmation of residence" to obtain Thai DL or purchase of car? 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So have you used the "affirmation of residence" to obtain Thai DL or purchase of car? 

Car purchase yes - the dealer was quite happy (not that interested ) although at DLT the girl had to "refer to her supervisor " , it was accepted . 

On 1/11/2022 at 8:24 PM, DrJack54 said:

In the past I have been unable to secure a Certificate of Residence from Immigration because I’d never carried out a 90 day report (a requirement for CoR at Immigration in Bangkok - I’d always travelled to frequently to need to submit a 90 day report). 

Thus: I’d always secured an 'Affirmation of Address’ document from my Embassy which I used as proof of address when registering a car (or motorcycle) in my name.

There has never been an issue.

[Note: I may have the exact naming of the documents mixed up - one is from Immigration the other is from an Embassy]

On 1/11/2022 at 1:42 PM, tonray said:
On 1/11/2022 at 11:20 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Alternatively, the most reliable solution is to get an Affirmation of Residence document from your Embassy. 

Not all countries provide that service and sometimes can be many weeks to get an appointment. The US embassy has appointment system that you must use and $50 US for your affidavit.

Thats true...  some Embassies may not provide this document. 

Additionally: The UK doesn’t to those on Tourist Visa’s or these under Visa Exempt Entry (stamps) - because they are not considered ‘residents’ from that perspective. 

There is also a ‘booking’ system where additional time is spent waiting for an appointment, the document is also costly (at about 2000 - 2500 baht). 

That said: IF the Op cannot get a CoR from Immigration - this is an avenue for him to investigate. He’s waited 6 months already, another couple of weeks won’t hurt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the past I have been unable to secure a Certificate of Residence from Immigration because I’d never carried out a 90 day report (a requirement for CoR at Immigration in Bangkok - I’d always travelled to frequently to need to submit a 90 day report). 

Thus: I’d always secured an 'Affirmation of Address’ document from my Embassy which I used as proof of address when registering a car (or motorcycle) in my name.

There has never been an issue.

[Note: I may have the exact naming of the documents mixed up - one is from Immigration the other is from an Embassy]

What you describe is blueprint of myself. 

For my first several years here I had never done a 90 report due to exit reenter Thailand almost every month (2 at the most). 

Did my first ever 90 report at MTT 2020 due to covid.

Finally was able to obtain residence certificate.

Think the issue for OP is his TM30.

I didn't require one at that time and was able to go from report desk A to desk B for the residence certificate.

I had a 12 month lease with me but the io didn't look at it. Just wanted a verbal confirmation that indeed I lived at the address I had written in the TM47. 

As usual there is often variation in experience.

I wonder if the OP may have had better luck doing a 90 day report at MTT first. 

The other issue for myself was that Oz embassy does not provide the affirmation that you outlined. 

On 1/11/2022 at 12:59 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i am surprised to hear that only verified residents of thailand can be car owners .

is this the norm also in other countries, like the UK?

and why is it so hard to get this certificate of residence?

what is someone rent a room in hotel for long term?

What are you on about? It´s normally not hard to get a cert. of res. Just in this case the OP has a problem because of ongoing transfer after death.

How can you compare a cert. of res. with when you want to rent a room in hotel long time? That´s kind of what is going to be your ground for what a cert. of res. is going to be based on.