Cabinet approves Air Force’s planned purchase of 4 fighter jets

snoop1130

48 minutes ago, big dendrobenaes said:

there are pensioners here who receive a pittance....

if over 60 they get 600 baht per month....if over 70 they get 700 per month, SO I HAVE BEEN TOLD

do not FORGET the SPACE plan !!!!!

are they not going to go to the MOON ??????!!!!

No. The moon is too close, and not mysterious enough. They are contemplating visiting distant solar systems. Their vast minds and intellects, and the advanced scientific, cutting edge innovations found here will permit what none have ever been able to do. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with these F-16's but probably could use as necessary upgrades in warning systems and countermeasure pods.

In fact the US may keep its F-16's due to problems with the F-35. 

https://www. businessinsider.com dated 02/19/2021.

The US Navy is getting F-16's to replace its legacy F/A-18 Hornets.

https://www.military.com dated 05/28/2021.

All the Reasons Why the F-16 is still a Deadly Plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSSdo_qp4vl

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. The moon is too close, and not mysterious enough. They are contemplating visiting distant solar systems. Their vast minds and intellects, and the advanced scientific, cutting edge innovations found here will permit what none have ever been able to do. 

They have found some really good bamboo!

So at approximately US$100 million per plane, that's the price range for 4x F-35A stealth fighters, including training, parts and servicing for ~10 years.  Munitions not included.

The question would be if the US would be willing to sell stealth tech to Thailand.  Thailand has been a long-time ally of the US, although its growing friendship with China is a concern.

F-16 block70s might work better, especially if 30% of the budgeted money is likely to 'disappear' during the course of the procurement phase.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Harriers are still in use by the Spanish, Italians and the US Marine Corps. 

The Thais got nine Matadors (Mk1 Harriers) refurbished from the Spanish, and within 2 years there was only one left operational.

I blame gravity......

To be honest 4 aircraft is a total waste of money, they will only have 1 or 2 that are capable of being flown at any time because aircraft need servicing etc.  It also means that the proficiency and currency of the pilots will be minimal and only a few will be current on the aircraft (unless they buy a modern simulator as well).  In essence they are just toys and will be totally ineffectual should any be needed in combat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shackleton said:

Their government their  money

They can spend what they like on the Defense of their country 

What we think as expats guests whatever  won't change their minds agree money could be put to better use 

But then who are we to decide 

Some of us pay tax.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Sounds like a lot of fun. I can see the planes upgraded locally: dark tint, mag wheels, Scarface mud flaps, Michelin man  statues over mirrors, exhaust sound amplified with lots of smoke coming out. Did I miss anything?

Curtains up to chin level in the cockpit, and CD sized holes cut in the window tint so that they can actually see something...

All four can then practice flying as fast as possible as close behind each other as possible in the aeronautical equivalent of rocketing past the entrance to the local school at children's going home time; until inevitably I suppose gravity intervenes.

Oh yes - and on no account is any maintenance engineer to touch the brakes, air or ground, once the 'plane has been delivered.

Edited by herfiehandbag

Yes! It is time that Thailand got rid of their single engine short range F16 jets for 

maybe a 2 engine, F18 jet, the Hornet. At least with a second engine if they had one quit, the other

engine could take the jet back to the airfield. I have always liked the F18s, and the Tom Cat F14,

although it is very expensive as well. The most expensive Jet fighter is the very over priced F35

stealth fighter.  The Thai military guy sure like their toys, and I guess that is why they want new submarines

as well. It is not like Thailand needs these expensive things, and what do they need an aircraft carrier for?

Foolish people.

Things have changed drastically, for the people. Life has become far worse than it has been in decades, the standard of living is dropping precipitously, and lives are being destroyed as we chat, families torn asunder, and society is unraveling. I have a good friend who has a close EMT friend in Bangkok, and the stories are too harrowing to even convey. She said they show up at homes now, and they all sit around in a circle and weep, after they are done doing what they have to do, to clean up after one suicide after another. Will I be locked up for saying this? The police at the door warned them that is any of the photos they took to document the scene ended up on social media, they would be locked up for a decade. 

All this started happening long before Covid, with the onset of this spectacularly toxic administration, but Covid has dramatically exacerbated much of the disenfranchisement already taking place. One can only hope, the people will not tolerate these goons much longer. My theory is that the army brass already knows this, and are now forming an escape plan. Hopefully into exile, but far better, into prison. 

They can fight a few tens of thousands. They cannot possibly beat many millions. And that is what we will see when this army created debacle is over with. 

They are utterly desperate to hang onto power, and access to the trillions of baht that likely generates for them. Using the LM and sedition laws shows how utterly intolerant of criticism these very small, very weak men are, that they need to hide behind and utilize these laws, to attempt crush the will of the people. 

The time is coming, when this will no longer be tolerated. Just wait. The army is on it's way out. It could take awhile, and it could get ugly, though it will never get to the hellish level of Burma, as the Thai parents would never, ever permit that kind of genocidal behavior from their sons. You take out one more Thai, and you are forever disowned by this family. That is all it would take to bring about mass defections from the army ranks. That would sure be fun to witness. Are the pompous generals going to put themselves into harms way? Never. They do not have it in them, they are cowards.

maxresdefault.jpg

images.jpeg