Kamikaze Has Killed Firefox

farangsay

Well.

Your favourite idiot is back again.

I bet at least some of you missed me.

I shall try and cut a long story short (despite my natural instincts).

I started to have this funny screen show up when in Firefox (Internet Explorer cannot (well we all know that don't we)) and fiddling around I got a "Megaupload" screen. Now , despite the Chang , my memory is still reasonable and I recollect mistakenly downloading and installing this thing thinking it was necessary to get a file off one of these file upload/download sites. It wasn't and now it was a problem. It didn't show up in the Windows add/remove thing or the Start menu thing or even in the Program files directory so I did a Windows search for the mother. Found references in DocumentsandSettings Applicationdata Mozilla Profiles so I zapped that. Firefox was not happy. So I reinstalled Firefox. Still not happy. OK bybye a boatload of bookmarks , I unistalled Firefox and reinstalled it. I still get the same thing "Firefox is already running".

This is when I have rebooted and there is no Firefox process running.

Is there any way to get it to forgive me or have I been banned for life ?

PS I did do the usual stuff (running Avast , Rootkit Revealer etc.) which found nothing.

PPS Beware Megaupload.

PPPS This megaboring post is brought to you courtesy of Opera

PPPPS Forget I mentioned Chang again , Totster , OK ?

:o

Um, put down the Chang for a wee bit, recover, and then repost the problem you are having with your PC.

Btw, nothing personal, but I find it amazing that that those who claim not to know much about computers are the ones always downloading new, stange applications (with perhaps no clear purpose in mind) and then unloading them afterwards. When it comes to off-the-wall s/w apps from bizarre companies, avoid them. A lot of times these apps are a POS and don't always uninstall properly.

I've seen a lot of posts concerning FF, and I cannot quite understand why there is so much trouble with it. I've used FF for over 2 years (under Windows and Linux), upgraded it at every chance I got, and never once had a problem. There must be something special going on in Thailand.

I sure wish I could have a Chang right now.

i don't think the problem is with FF (i use happily with plugins upgrades etc..)

I think the problem is with Chang.

Toshiba/IBM/Vaio/Compaq should come with a warning about Chang.

Guest Reimar

Megaupload is a program which comes mainly (more than 99%) from Torrent sites, where the most of the software is pirated! To get all the traces out from this prog isn't a easy job and requires a lot "manual" work!

I wouldn't give any info how to do because of the "nature" of this prog in conjunction with the forum rules!

If someone want to play around, must be able to pay the price for it! Warnings about this kind of progs a lot around even on this forum! :o

Megaupload is a program which comes mainly (more than 99%) from Torrent sites, where the most of the software is pirated! To get all the traces out from this prog isn't a easy job and requires a lot "manual" work!

I wouldn't give any info how to do because of the "nature" of this prog in conjunction with the forum rules!

If someone want to play around, must be able to pay the price for it! Warnings about this kind of progs a lot around even on this forum! :o

[Inflammatory remark removed /Meadish]

http://www.megaupload.com/

Well hurrah Gumball and Hefalump for focusing on the word "Chang" and disregarding the rest of the post.

I take comfort in the fact that as I always downplay my capacities I am rarely taken for a smartarse.

You two must be chopped off at the knees with depressing regularity.

That having been said I am a Firefox fan and I would like it back.

download and install from the link , making a note of where it goes

then use the uninstaller to remove .

you may need to do the same for firefox , also

if this is not successful you'll need a reg editor , thats where your problems will start

back up is the word of the moment .

cheers

mid

download and install from the link , making a note of where it goes

then use the uninstaller to remove .

you may need to do the same for firefox , also

if this is not successful you'll need a reg editor , thats where your problems will start

back up is the word of the moment .

cheers

mid

Thank you for a sensible reply Mid.

Trouble is the thing seems to have dissappeared below the waterline.

Read my OP re Windows remove/start menu?program files.

My reaction was to search for traces and "ankle tap" it (old soccer playing term).

Trouble is I seem to have broken all six legs of Firefox.

I have difficulty understanding why , when I uninstall and reinstall Firefox , it is still out of service.

Tell me about reg editors - in case you hadn't gathered I have no fear.

PS Backup is a word of the future

OK, just to start.

Open Windows File Explorer

Select Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Click on Show Hidden files and folders ->Apply -> OK

Go to your User id file i.e. farangsay

Click on Application Data -> Mozilla ->Firefox->Profiles->unique name folder

Within that you should find backups for bookmarks.html even if you deleted the program. There, on some installs is a separate backup directory as well.

Regards

This is certainly your PC showing you how the AI (Alcohol Imbibing) parts of the operating system feel about you drinking Chang in plain site of your PC without offering it some.

Here is a quick fix:

Stand PC on edge.

Open optical drive.

Pour a couple of large bottles of Chang into the drive bay.

I guarantee you that you won't see this problem again on this PC.

Edited by mac.wheeler

Read my OP re Windows remove/start menu?program files.

My reaction was to search for traces and "ankle tap" it (old soccer playing term).

reinstalling should put it back into the add/remove section ....did it ??

ankle tap is what reg cleaning will do ,

BUT,

you must know what's related to the offender and whats not ..................

AND

back up your registry BEFORE you start !!!

how's the overhang ??

i had the same problem, megaupload is a programme for downloading torrents.

i went to control panel add/remove programmes and deleted megaupload.

however on starting firefox, there was the megaupload search bar.

i got rid off it by opening tools add ons in firefox then uninstalling.

the message came up saying i would need to exit and re-enter firefox, which i did and hey presto the megaupload search bar was gone.

try that, if it doesnt work , do as suggested by others, system restore, to a date prior to installing megaupload.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Guest Reimar
It would be much better if you explain what you mean with BS>>>>!

common know as the matter that emulates from the northend of a south bound bull .................................

Unfortunatly it looks like that you do NOT have an answer about the facts you describes as BS>>>>>!

Again, I don't mind how you name something but give an clear answer! Or keep the answer if you didn't have a real one!

The fact we talking about here is the prog Megaupload and where it comes mainly from, or better how the user's get it!

May, if you can read, read also the post from rgs2001uk in this thread! Or you need some more about the same prog?

Be serious mid!

For the mods: May I do not explain clear enough what I mean with my post's, could someone of you please explain the rules in this fact's? I do NOT like to go personal and I'm willing to give the answers as best as I can to everybody but according to yhe rules only.

Thanks!

Lads, I see nothing good coming out of your argument, so I have erased the posts related to it. Any issues you have with each other should be handled off the public forum.

To clarify the rules:

Sharing non-proprietary files (=files with no copyright) is not illegal, ergo, discussing the technology for doing so is not against the forum rules.

However, discussions or recommendations directly concerning copyright files are against the forum rules and will be removed and the offenders disciplined.

Hopefully that clears up the issue.

Guest Reimar
Lads, I see nothing good coming out of your argument, so I have erased the posts related to it. Any issues you have with each other should be handled off the public forum.

To clarify the rules:

Sharing non-proprietary files (=files with no copyright) is not illegal, ergo, discussing the technology for doing so is not against the forum rules.

However, discussions or recommendations directly concerning copyright files are against the forum rules and will be removed and the offenders disciplined.

Hopefully that clears up the issue.

Thanks meadish!