Be safe out there. Some are playing roulette.

WEBBYB808

59 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Especially considering a majority of those in the hospital are unvaccinated.  Perhaps making them pay a significant share of the medical expenses would sway them to get the jab.  Not fair for the majority of us who've been jabbed to pay for these nuts.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/unvaccinated-covid-patients-cost-the-u-s-health-system-billions-of-dollars/

I did get jabbed simply to have as normal a life as is possible under the dictat, but personally I think it will make zero difference to me contracting the disease and whatever comes after.

Edited by onthedarkside
personal comment on forum member removed

On 1/29/2022 at 3:55 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

After this is all over, some serious questions need to be answered as to why nearly 2 years into a pandemic, staffing is inadequate for a forseeable surge in cases. They have had way more time than needed to recruit and train enough nurses, though Drs would be more of a problem as they require many years of education. I'm not referring to registered nurses that take 3 years to train, but to LPNs in the US and Enrolled nurses in Britain.

That applies to other western countries too.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/overview-of-tmc-icu-bed-capacity-and-occupancy/

B8752A64-0CC7-49AB-87F8-545DC67ABACF.png

Edited by onthedarkside
misinformation comments removed

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

That's just one hospital and not representative of the entire state. Talk about misinformation.

https://localprofile.com/2022/01/10/icu-beds-north-tx-hospital-capacity/

The number of available intensive care unit (ICU) beds at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Plano is zero. No beds available. And this is the growing case for hospitals across North Texas.

8 hours ago, Airalee said:

A pity that Airalee won't be reading my correction to this latest post of his. First off, the information about ICU bed availability came straight from an official governmental agency, the lying left wing Texas Department of State Health Services.

Second, as the article pointed out, it's not physical ICU units that are lacking, but hospital workers trained to staff them. They're lacking because so many have burnt out because of the prolonged pandemic and the loons and ignoramuses who insist on not getting vaccinated. Also, many of them are now infected with Covid themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Misinformation comments in a prior post about ICU occupancy at the Texas Medical Center in the U.S. have been removed.

Contrary to what the poster claimed, what the posted chart actually shows is that the hospital's normal ICU beds (Phase 1) were 100% full as of the date of that report (though only partly with COVID patients). The Phase 2 beds shown on the graphic where they have availability are beds they have added/converted to ICU use because of the demand/pandemic. And Phase 3 beds are even more temporary, crisis type ICU beds.

566224445_TexasMed3.jpg.e8b5ec030ae5f27218fece3577c6ad1c.jpg

The following past news report explains those "Phase" distinctions at the hospital:

"What are 'Phases 2 and 3’ of intensive care at the Medical Center?

We’re now in Phase 2 of intensive care. Phase 2 allocates an extra 373 beds to handle an increase in patients, regardless of their diagnoses.

There is also a Phase 3, which doctors are prepared for. They hope we can stop spreading the virus so that the extra 504 beds allocated for Phase 3 do not have to be used.

McDeavitt said hospital staff can sustain Phase 3 for roughly 4 weeks, if necessary, but that longer than that would start to overwhelm healthcare workers, and affect patient treatment."

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/houston-icu-bed-capacity/285-703d18c7-0d04-42b2-8163-d021b78b62ca

This additional current chart from the hospital's website also shows that COVID daily admissions to their ICU and med/surg beds recently reached pandemic record highs, before declining slightly lately (the red circled portion of the lower half graphic below).

1977936975_TexasMed2.jpg.66fcea27754bec36fee398f3bcad2f6d.jpg

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/tmc-daily-new-covid-19-hospitalizations/

Also, here's a more recent report from local TV station KHOU that echoes that same info:

COVID in Houston: More people are being admitted to TMC hospitals on a daily basis than ever before

The weekly average of daily new COVID-19 hospitalizations has surpassed the delta peak.

Updated: 9:06 PM CST January 3, 2022

"According to the Texas Medical Center, more people are being admitted to its hospitals daily than ever before. It’s creating a strain on hospitals where more healthcare workers are getting sick.

"Last week, we had over 1,100 staff who had COVID and were unable to come to work on their normal schedules," said Roberta Schwartz, the executive vice president for Methodist Hospital. "We’ve had to really juggle our staffing and constrain our beds."

Last week, TMC averaged 401 new COVID admissions per day. Compared to the previous week, there was an average of 201 new COVID hospitalization per day, and in November there was an average of 56 hospitalizations per day. "I will tell you it’s very nerve wracking to be going up at this rate," Schwartz said.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-positivity-rate-texas-medical-center-latest-january-2022/285-eec4ee13-34e7-4c8f-8d41-199f28ca59c8

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 5:29 PM, Ryan754326 said:

This is exactly what worries me about the way things are going. Now is a great time for many governments to set the precedent that if you want your healthcare to be paid for, you do what you’re told in regards to personal health choices. I see it being very unlikely that they would allow people to opt out and pay for their own coverage, so how long before they want to control what we eat, what we drink, what we smoke, and what we do?

I know I’ll be called a conspiracy theorist for writing the comment above, but let’s be real: Do you honestly think that the government really cares if you die of lung cancer from smoking cigarettes? Of course they don’t. They only care because it costs the system money. 
Cigarettes would have been illegal in western countries ages ago if the people running things actually cared about each individual life. They only remain legal because the taxes collected on them more than pay for the people who do end up in hospitals because of them. 

The Canadian province of Quebec is now considering a tax on those who refuse to be vaccinated in order to cover rising healthcare costs, and they say the tax won’t be small. What they haven’t done is considered whether those people who will be forced to pay the tax might have already paid much more than their fair share into the pot.
If we’re going to start scrutinizing everyone’s personal decisions and taxing them more or less based on how much they might be costing the system, then we might as well throw the whole idea of socialized healthcare out the window. I’m not saying that’s what I want for my country, but I could afford American style healthcare if I had to, and I would be willing to pay for it if it meant that I didn’t have to cover the cost of all the people who do unhealthy or dangerous things that I would never do. 

You make a good point about not having to cover the cost of people that smoke or become obese without an actual medical reason. If they reduced taxes by the cost of public health I'd have been prepared to buy insurance ( just like I did for years in Thailand ). Of course people that lived unhealthy lives would have to pay more for their insurance than those that lived healthier lives. User pays etc.

16 hours ago, placeholder said:

A pity that Airalee won't be reading my correction to this latest post of his. First off, the information about ICU bed availability came straight from an official governmental agency, the lying left wing Texas Department of State Health Services.

Second, as the article pointed out, it's not physical ICU units that are lacking, but hospital workers trained to staff them. They're lacking because so many have burnt out because of the prolonged pandemic and the loons and ignoramuses who insist on not getting vaccinated. Also, many of them are now infected with Covid themselves.

Anyone know why the majority of patients are admitted? Is it because they just need O2, or more serious?

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyone know why the majority of patients are admitted? Is it because they just need O2, or more serious?

Usually, they are admitted for a host of symptoms but most are related to the lack of O2.

Initial symptoms are fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion, runny nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.   

As the seriousness progresses, it is recommended that a person get urgent medical attention when they experience the following:  Trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, confusion, inability to wake up or stay awake or a pale, grey, or blue-colored skin, lips, nail bed etc..

Remember, these are symptoms.  There are a whole host of things going on in the body which can cause organs to shut down, however, when the body lacks Oxygen, it will die quickly, so that is always the first priority.   

And then if you're one of the unlucky ones, you end up like this (short of being dead):

February 03, 2022

COVID-19 survivors report physical, mental, cognitive symptoms 1 year after ICU care

Physical, mental and cognitive symptoms were frequently reported among a cohort of Dutch patients 1 year after they had been released from the ICU for COVID-19, data show.

“This study shows what an incredible impact an ICU admission has on the lives of former COVID-19 patients,” Marieke Zegers, MSc, PhD, a senior researcher at the Radboud University Medical Center in the Netherlands, said in a press release. “Even after 1 year, half of them is tired or experience lack of the energy to fully resume their work.”

Zegers and colleagues wrote in JAMA that 74.3% (95% CI, 68.3-79.6) of the patients reported that they experienced physical symptoms, 26.2% (95% CI, 20.8-32.2) said they had symptoms indicative of mental health concerns and 16.2% (95% CI, 11.8-21.5) reported symptoms of possible cognitive decline.

Screenshot_1.jpg.84e60ebbe87e0d0cdbf2ef3b3ab06fe5.jpg

(more)

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20220203/covid19-survivors-report-physical-mental-cognitive-symptoms-1-year-after-icu-care

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And then if you're one of the unlucky ones, you end up like this (short of being dead):

February 03, 2022

COVID-19 survivors report physical, mental, cognitive symptoms 1 year after ICU care

Physical, mental and cognitive symptoms were frequently reported among a cohort of Dutch patients 1 year after they had been released from the ICU for COVID-19, data show.

“This study shows what an incredible impact an ICU admission has on the lives of former COVID-19 patients,” Marieke Zegers, MSc, PhD, a senior researcher at the Radboud University Medical Center in the Netherlands, said in a press release. “Even after 1 year, half of them is tired or experience lack of the energy to fully resume their work.”

Zegers and colleagues wrote in JAMA that 74.3% (95% CI, 68.3-79.6) of the patients reported that they experienced physical symptoms, 26.2% (95% CI, 20.8-32.2) said they had symptoms indicative of mental health concerns and 16.2% (95% CI, 11.8-21.5) reported symptoms of possible cognitive decline.

Screenshot_1.jpg.84e60ebbe87e0d0cdbf2ef3b3ab06fe5.jpg

(more)

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20220203/covid19-survivors-report-physical-mental-cognitive-symptoms-1-year-after-icu-care

Of the people I know who have had Covid, and that is an ever increasing number, all of them have suffered from a slow recovery.  The only exception is some of the younger people, in their early 20s, who had extremely mild cases and seemed to recover quickly.   

Those who are in their forties and up have had varying degrees of lingering effects, but all have complained of diminished physical ability and getting tired easily.  A number have complained of brain fog, forgetfulness and confusion.   

From what I've seen, I think it's best to go the extra mile to prevent catching it, even if you are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1