Understanding Isaan

Guest Isaanlife

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Exactly how I thought to once! 

However new experiences and a new life might change that for some. It did for me. Never say never

Good luck

Lived in Isan 16 yrs, couldn't wait to leave.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I might aggree with you if I stay as long as you and nothing improved and I am in my early 70íes, I will consider to relocate. Will mostly depend on my health, and if Im still cabable to do some work and still using my gym. If Im going to sit and wait to die, I will relocate to find new inspiration yes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Isaan is a very big place, can you whittle it down a tad...????

Udon Thani, but I've visited almost every nook & cranny in those 16 yrs.

Mostly flat, boring & air pollution half the year.  Too far from Krung Thep or the surf.  10 yrs running, drove to Phuket & points south, 2X a year, at least, during school breaks.  Realizing what a sh!thole, IMHO, the NE is when out & about, with few exception.  Again, the pollution half the year ... NO thanks.

Could tolerate living on the edge of the plateau, or along the river ... if I had to.  But don't ... ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Udon Thani, but I've visited almost every nook & cranny in those 16 yrs.

Mostly flat, boring & air pollution half the year.  Too far from Krung Thep or the surf.  10 yrs running, drove to Phuket & points south, 2X a year, at least, during school breaks.  Realizing what a sh!thole the NE is when out & about, with few exception.  Again, the pollution half the year ... NO thanks.

Could tolerate living on the edge of the plateau, or along the river ... if I had to.  But don't ... ????

Can't say I have noticed noticeable pollution in my area, l did on ventures up north with burning stuff..

12 minutes ago, transam said:

Can't say I have noticed noticeable pollution in my area, l did on ventures up north with burning stuff..

Probably because it's so flat, there's no reference to something being blurred out by pollution.  From the house, 2nd floor veranda, could easily see the 4 ridges between Nong Wua So, Udon Thani and Nong Bua Lamphu province ... during rainy season.  Maybe 15 kms away, if that.  

Smog season, you wouldn't even know there's a ridge there.  Check the AQI #s, and anything 80ish & up, and it will blur out the vistas.

Central UT top parking level, and you can get a nice vista of the W / NW hills, along the edge of the province, during rainy season.  Smog season ... 'what, there's hills, where?'

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Probably because it's so flat, there's no reference to something being blurred out by pollution.  From the house, 2nd floor veranda, could easily see the 4 ridges between Nong Wua So, Udon Thani and Nong Bua Lamphu province ... during rainy season.  Maybe 15 kms away, if that.  

Smog season, you wouldn't even know there's a ridge there.  Check the AQI #s, and anything 80ish & up, and it will blur out the vistas.

Central UT top parking level, and you can get a nice vista of the W / NW hills, along the edge of the province, during rainy season.  Smog season ... 'what, there's hills, where?'

About an hour from me there are hills, the area near the Lao border, we have it all here, even sandy beaches at Pattaya Noi.......????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Korat, Chaiyaphum and Loei is not flat, and have a bit diversity, and are just a small drive to the mountains. But of course if you have kids in school, it does limit you a bit if you do not have grand parents to help out. 

13 minutes ago, transam said:

About an hour from me there are hills, the area near the Lao border, we have it all here, even sandy beaches at Pattaya Noi.......????

Yea, been there.  Na Yung is lovely area to drive through.  Actually some nice drop offs / cliffs at the edge.  Phu Foilum has nice view on back end of the park, at the drop with extensive views.  Loei can be lovely.

Loved driving along the river, from Chiang Khan to Mukdahan.  That's all good for out & abouts, but not living there.  And can only do that so many times before it gets boring, and hours away from home.

Here's one local restaurant we frequent, that backs up the hills along the Myanmar border, and from their rooftop veranda, you can see the gulf & squidders on the bay at night.  About 20+ kms distance 

http://tiny.cc/0kknuz

58 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Very boring place to live

People overate it for being away from the tourist areas and them being 'the only farang in the village'

As said before, being in my early 50'ies, it is a privelige to live on a big land, big mansion and have something to wake up to. Also care for the people around me as well animals. Her parents have their first regular income in their whole life, and doing a good job for us taking care of our farm while we have the freedom to travel. You can't have that lifestyle among jungle, rice fields and mountains in the city or tourist places. 

It all depended which eyes who looking and what their expectations is. 

I could not live in Hua Hin, Cha Am, Patong, Pattaya, Ao Nang, Koh Samui, Koh Tao, Khao Lake, Koh Chan or Chiang Mai. Have nothing else than small land with a house or a condo. 

Bottomline, I got bored there to and the feeling of nothing to wake up to except head over to the gym, eat and do whatever that was close by to do. Never fancied bar life to much, but now everything in tourist places  is exotic and fun for a couple of weeks again when arriving from Isan. 

Contrasts, that is what lif is a about. 

Not to forget eat from your own garden and what you breeding

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

The 16 years not withstanding.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

People overate it for being away from the tourist areas and them being 'the only farang in the village'

I must admit , it does get dangerous killing off other falangs that come to live in MY village.

Need a bigger garden too.

This thread reminds me of a South Park sketch :

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Yea, been there.  Na Yung is lovely area to drive through.  Actually some nice drop offs / cliffs at the edge.  Phu Foilum has nice view on back end of the park, at the drop with extensive views.  Loei can be lovely.

Loved driving along the river, from Chiang Khan to Mukdahan.  That's all good for out & abouts, but not living there.  And can only do that so many times before it gets boring, and hours away from home.

Here's one local restaurant we frequent, that backs up the hills along the Myanmar border, and from their rooftop veranda, you can see the gulf & squidders on the bay at night.  About 20+ kms distance 

Just so you know:

15) Any links posted must lead to the website the link indicates. Links that are misleading or direct to a site different than the one indicated are not allowed. No shortened version urls or affiliate links permitted.

Edited the Tiny.cc link out to prevent the quoting it.

What's there to understand?

Just another part of Thailand, kinda Laotian, hillbillies mostly.

I certainly enjoy the scenary though, not the people -- the actual scenary.

"Scenary" is not codeword for Isaan women.

6 minutes ago, 2009 said:

What's there to understand?

Just another part of Thailand, kinda Laotian, hillbillies mostly.

I certainly enjoy the scenary though, not the people -- the actual scenary.

"Scenary" is not codeword for Isaan women.

Why not the people, did you smoke in a Temple or something.....?  ????

1 minute ago, transam said:

Why not the people, did you smoke in a Temple or something.....?  ????

Well, Thailand's great, but mostly the "culture" is not so nice and out in the boonies it's the worst.

6 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Unfortunately, you can go there 20 times and never eat nice food.

Unless, I just have the uncanny ability to pick the <deleted> restaurants every time.

Looks nice; really just a dump

Your just posh......????...............????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Why did you come here then, being posh and all.......?   ????

Haha, well I liked it at first, but after a decade I realized I had had enough.

It's a fine place for a vacation if you have friends there, or for an old retired duffer to chill in his old age - but there's a reason most Isaan people leave. The place isn't worth much.

That said, the local people are best kept at a distance.

41 minutes ago, transam said:

Pattaya Noi, about an hour from Ubon town, Isaan.....

https://stock.adobe.com/th/search?k="pattaya+noi"

Thought you were referring to on patch of 'beach' over at Nong Khai during dry season.  Think it was also referred to as 'pattaya beach' since behind a farang managed bar.  Yea .. go figure.

All along that stretch between Chiang Khai and Nong Khai has lots of 'beaches' during dry season.  To the point where it looks as though you could almost walk across to Laos, if not for a couple deeper channels.