Thailand’s vaccination campaign in review

webfact

te1.jpg

By Ken Lohatepanont

There were few topics on which more ink was spilled than our vaccine procurement program in 2021. Many feared at the start that the vaccination campaign would either go nowhere or that it would falter.  

Now that we have entered 2022, it’s worth taking a look back at how Thailand’s vaccine strategy truly turned out.  

1. The Thai government achieved its vaccination target 

No evaluation of the government’s vaccination campaign can leave out the fact that the government achieved its target of giving out 100 million doses by the end of 2021. 

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/36516/thailands-vaccination-campaign-in-review/

ti.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-01-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

achieved its target of giving out 100 million doses by the end of 2021. 

Actually, many of those doses were not full doses.

My Pfizer booster was a half dose (at best)!!! I did not even feel the needle go in.

There was also some manipulation of the number of doses per bottle. (12 instead of 10)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

the government achieved its target of giving out 100 million doses by the end of 2021. 

Could discuss how what that 100 million means and how millions getting a 3rd shot are counted in that 100 million dose figure. I hadn't heard of 'booster'  in January of 2021. Not to mention that a Sino Rose is as pretty as any other.

Still, it was a darned good effort all in all.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

My Pfizer booster was a half dose (at best)!!! I did not even feel the needle go in.

There was also some manipulation of the number of doses per bottle. (12 instead of 10)

Not feeling the needle go in has nothing to do with what or how much that is administered. That's penetrating the skin. Some feel others don't. Same in Western countries. 

Link with evidence of manipulation please! 

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Are you sure you are not mixing moderna and Pfizer?

You can get 7 doses from Pfizer and 12 from moderna.

A bit more if the country allows for using left overs from several vials.

It's not unusual that vials with medicin is filled with more than is described.

That's so the companies will not release a vial that has fewer doses than described per vial.

It's the same thing with insulin.

If a vial contains less insulin than it's supposed to have it's scrapped during inspection.

• Like 1

In the early days of the vaccination program, when only Sinovac was available, I pre-payed for Moderna from Sukhumvit Hospital, with delivery promised many months in the future (October).

It was a struggle to find any source that would vaccinate a foreigner with a reasonable Western vaccine.

I was lucky enough to get 2 Astra Zeneca jabs for free at Chulalongkorn Hospital. They had a big vaccination operation there, but I was the only foreigner there, since they never publicized their program in sites that foreigners would see. I was grateful to get a tip from a Thai friend, and got an appointment with just 2 days notice.

Eventually I got a Moderna booster from Sukhmvit Hospital, and still have one in reserve if needed.

But the government achievement of 100 million jabs is bogus, since the majority of those were useless Chinese vaccines. If the pandemic continues, those people will need to be inoculated again.

Paul Laew

Edited by Paulaew