Proof of flight return ticket for covid extension?

Recently last November CW we’re asking people for a proof of flight leaving Thailand in order to extend their tourist visa as there was not any news they were going to extend it.

Understood that after the deadline 2 days later they announced they were extending the deadline to end of January 

I’ll be going at some point next week, has anybody already gone this month for a tourist extension and once again been asked for flight ticket ?

Covid extensions due to end Jan 25.

Few reports from both CW and MTT re immigration officer doing bit of rant about "this is your last one" etc.

Haven't seen report of anyone refused due do no outbound flight.

Go Monday. If outbound flight required buy one from "onwardflight" from net. $12usd. 

Some io are being AH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Few reports from both CW and MTT re immigration officer doing bit of rant about "this is your last one" etc.

Go Monday. If outbound flight required buy one from "onwardflight" from net. $12usd. 

Some io are being AH.

Not an indorsement but onward "dot" ticket is also $12 and you get an email in a few minutes.  Other websites offers similar services but the email confirmation is 24 hrs +.   

• Like 1

Just now, howlee101 said:

Not an indorsement but onward "dot" ticket is also $12 and you get an email in a few minutes.  Other websites offers similar services but the email confirmation is 24 hrs +.   

Thanks. Didn't mean to recommend any particular company 

These are often used for those flying visa exempt and require onward flight for airline. 

They work no issue. 

Some folk not aware of that option.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. Didn't mean to recommend any particular company 

These are often used for those flying visa exempt and require onward flight for airline. 

They work no issue. 

Some folk not aware of that option.

Understand...and not intended to imply otherwise.  I was passing on my experience.  If in a need for immediate "onward travel approval", then my suggestion would apply.  I'm guessing all the "onward" confirmation websites provide the same service....just depends on how soon you need it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

Understand...and not intended to imply otherwise.  I was passing on my experience.  If in a need for immediate "onward travel approval", then my suggestion would apply.  I'm guessing all the "onward" confirmation websites provide the same service....just depends on how soon you need it.

Good suggestion. Means those trying to obtain covid extension and if worst happened and io insisted on onward flight you could make up excuse to leave to obtain printout and then show ticket you mention.

Hopefully this bs for outbound flight will not be required.

Someone I was assisting had bad experience re onward flight, however obtain his covid extension last Monday. No outbound flight. 

• Thanks 1

I would go prepared with proof of onward travel even though there has only been a brief uptick in reports (here, FB) that Imm is asking for this. Perhaps they're annotating your record to indicate something you claimed on a previous COVID extension.

I expect they'll be extending the CVOVID extensions throughout 2022, really no reason to stop this program until there is some "border normalization".

Now the unrequested advice...onward ticket services really only show proof of a reservation, and not an issued ticket. There is no e-ticket number, nor is the amount paid, shown on the faux PNR. Immigration has access to GDS's, and of course they are aware of this "option", and they can determine this level of detail. So far, it seems like they are not choosing to press this issue. At some point they may choose to do so. FWIW, it is not fraud per se, but if pressed I might acknowledge that "I made a reservation", rather than saying "I purchased a ticket". And take note of any verbal warning issued by the IO about this being your final extension, as this may go into your record and thus may be enforced in the future, perhaps at any IO. Will enforcement happen in the March or July windows? Probably not, but at some they've got to start herding the cats.

Typical post on this requirement in a popular FB group:

Heads up .
Just came back from cheangwattana immigration in getting my second covid extension and they are getting strict . They ask me why I'm asking for this covid  extension and I told them flight was cancelled in October and next one available at the time was January .
I had to prove all this by the way ..Also asked how much i paid for my ticket back to Sydney . So be prepared. 
P.s......Got my extension ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I had to prove all this by the way ..Also asked how much i paid for my ticket back to Sydney

That's very disappointing.

I can't work out their game.

I agree with your earlier comment re covid extensions continue till such a time that land (some) borders are open. 

Fact is if land borders were open and flights to places like Vietnam half possible then covid extensions would not be necessary.

With "test and go" gone, I can't for the life of me, see why immigration are being so negative.

As per your comments re "onward flight" rent a ticket.

I was under the impression that these where fully booked AND CONFIRMED flights. Must look into it.

The airlines at  departure for flight to Thailand for visa exempt travellers specifically looked for "CONFIRMED flight" a simple booking won't cut it.

Edited by DrJack54

I was just about to post a question about the covid extension that can be done before Jn 25 but I'll join in on this conversation instead.

Fist of all what other documents are needed besides the normal TR visa extension papers? When I did my +30 day extension in Dec they just told me to come back before Jan 25 for a new 60 day covid extension. Didn't mention any extra paperwork being needed for that. I have a return ticket back to Europe for next summer but that won't help much if they really request to see a outbound flight within 60 days. 

By the way, a booking for Chaeng Wattana is required now right? I made a a booking on the Immigration booking site https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131 

Edited by ChomDo

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Dont leave it till last minute. 

Go asap

Sure, I have made an appointment for Wed, Jan 19. Now I just need to know if any extra documents are needed as I asked above. I'm assuming not, but good if someone has the latest?

5 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Sure, I have made an appointment for Wed, Jan 19. Now I just need to know if any extra documents are needed as I asked above. I'm assuming not, but good if someone has the latest?

Here is link for affidavit in case you want to take it along.

https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=727659

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why is there even a covid extension option? Anyone can leave Thailand anytime they want, even fortress Australia is now open without quarantine on arrival so what real reason would someone actually need a covid extension?

Because they cannot do border hops to get new visas

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Why is there even a covid extension option? Anyone can leave Thailand anytime they want, even fortress Australia is now open without quarantine on arrival so what real reason would someone actually need a covid extension?

It is still possible until the 25th of this month but it will probably be extended again.

There are many reasons for them to be available. There are a few countries still closed to even their own citizens.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very naive.

In normal times people can move around S.E.A which of course is currently not possible.

Some folk have options perhaps married or 50+.

When borders (or some) are open, then there will be no need for covid extensions.

For someone who just arrived you joined the ranks of "send em back home" pretty quickly. 

Sorry but I just don't understand it. A Covid extension is supposed to be because you can't get home, not because you can't do a border run lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:20 PM, DrJack54 said:

Some io are being AH.

Tickets from "Onward flight" and other similar companies - don't they all expire in 24 or 48 hours?

Wondering if I could use it for getting my Visa, Thai Pass, as well as actual flight which would require a ticket good for a few weeks in my case.

22 hours ago, howlee101 said:

How long is the ticket good/usable for?

11 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Tickets from "Onward flight" and other similar companies - don't they all expire in 24 or 48 hours?

Wondering if I could use it for getting my Visa, Thai Pass, as well as actual flight which would require a ticket good for a few weeks in my case.

First up are you going to obtain a visa. For your flight to Thailand the airline does not need to see onward flight if you have a visa.

As for TP, your visa or flying visa exempt has nothing to do with flights (as I understand it). 

If flying visa exempt to Thailand then yes you need onward flight and a ticket from one of those  companies will work.

As for topic of this thread again "rent a ticket" should work.

The thing is why is Bangkok immigration asking for this, for covid extensions.

Individual io creep or higher up io creep? 

Edited by DrJack54

12 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

These are not "tickets".

They are "reservations".

Authorized agencies can create these.

Some/many foreign embassies here allow the use of these by thais in order to obtain a visa.

Most of these melt at 14 days, or on the "departure" date if that comes sooner.

48 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

How does this issue affect your life?

I'm free to comment anywhere I like. How does my posting affect your life?

If this is just a Thai money grab to keep tourists here  rather than a legitimate stranded in Thailand extension then I might use it instead of having to put 800k baht in the bank for a non-imm O visa

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

The website said "48 hrs" but I'm guessing they are referring if someone looked up the flight with your name.  They sent me an itinerary, I printed it....it had my return from BKK to Atlanta....just like you would get from any airline reservation.  Fortunately, I was never asked for proof of onward travel but rather "when are you returning".

I strongly believe any difficulty you appear to face in obtaining an extension is just IO’s entertaining themselves bored in their job - but the direct order from the top is “give these idiots an extension and get their 1900 baht” - never a nice experience but you never see anyone getting rejected. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

A Covid extension is supposed to be because you can't get home, not because you can't do a border run lol

The Covid extension has always allowed you to put other reasons beyond just not getting home. If you check the form, one such tickable box is "pandemic is ongoing", which I always tick. And I add more in the 'Other' field.

13 hours ago, howlee101 said:

They sent me an itinerary, I printed it....it had my return from BKK to Atlanta....

Can you share:

itinerary/carriers? 

issued by (airline name)

first three digits of the e-ticket number, if that is available

Where do you look up the PNR, does the onward ticket provider give you a site/link? Can you find it on the issuing (or first flight airline or codeshare partner) airline's website?

I guess some providers offer 48 hour expiry, with an option to buy up to 14 days. And I guess you can get a confirmation in minutes/hours at the front end.

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks! Hope it will be a smooth process on Wed. This is my first Covid extension but I will definitely keep doing it if they extend further. As for why they are giving covid extensions, well I really don't care why but great that they do. Why kick out the last tourist existing in the country. Hope they keep extending the +60 day extension and maybe also come up with more attractive TR visas (like perhaps a simplified STV).