Thailand’s first Omicron variant death reported in Songkhla province

webfact

The average life expectancy for a Swedish woman is  84.29 years old - So are we to conclude that Omicron helped her to get a few extra weeks of life - it seems about as sensible a conclusion as to surmise that Omicron was the cause of death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

This means we need to vaccinate all children with double doses to end the pandemic!  A healthy young 86 year old dying with covid is very unusual.

No kids getting Corona and passing it on to grandparents.

Also I don't want my children perhaps getting a bad case and having to be hospitalized.

"Child hospitalization rates hit record highs as Omicron variant becomes prevalent"

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/07/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

I know in Bangkok many hospitals have run out of beds.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I didn't read anywhere in the article of people getting blamed for anything.

"...was thought to have contracted COVID-19 from her grandson, who had returned from Phuket."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Nonsense.....

The omicron is highly contagious and would certainly reach a herd immunity level far more quickly than that. Just need to achieve it while still protecting those most vulnerable. 'Those most vulnerable' will also need to be protected from other endemic ailments.. I am not of a mind to chuck them under the bus. 

We never chuck anyone under the bus! Whenever did I mention that? What I am saying is, it´s down to the level of a medium risk normal flu. Then treat it like that!

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Part reason why tallies are so high in the west. Go to hospital with something completely unrelated to covid, contract covid later on but die of the original condition within 28 days and you’re still added to the covid deaths. 

Perfectly said and add to that the significant obesity related complications and the fact that the aged would succumb to any similar flu/pneumonia or other respiratory ailment and some salient truths are shined onto to some decidedly misleading data

Adults in general react better to factual data, yet reading some posts here, that's not a universal maxim.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Part reason why tallies are so high in the west. Go to hospital with something completely unrelated to covid, contract covid later on but die of the original condition within 28 days and you’re still added to the covid deaths. 

It's not to the government political advantage to allow overstating covid as cause of death, especially when it's trying to attract tourists and reopen businesses most financially damaged by covid.

Unlike democratic Western federal governments that generally have less control over public disclosures of deaths attributed to covid, the military/pro-military Thai government seems to have very tight control over routing covid attributed deaths.

So your concerns about over reporting covid attributed deaths in Thailand might not be so accurate. 

Note that I say "attributed" as it not relates directly to death caused by covid in ICU but elevation of other potential mortal health issues that would not ordinarily cause death. That includes for example denial of ICU care for covid treatment due to lack of ICU facilities for noncovid health issues such treatable heart complications that require ICU interment.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly, the vaccines were not enough to prevent serious infection but I continue to believe that vaccines are effective in protecting the vast majority.

maybe so for delta

seem to be useless for omicron, won't be getting a booster anytime soon

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

...was thought to have contracted COVID-19 from her grandson

What an awful way to report an unfortunate situation. They could have just reported, "A bed-ridden 86-year-old woman who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease has died from Omicron variant." But instead, the news has blamed the grandson for killing his grannie. That's very insensitive. Perhaps there will be a follow-up story to say he was unvaccinated. Phew! You can just hear the anti-anti-COVID-vaxxer mob preparing their virtual lynching.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, maybe, maybe not - but she is also 7 years over average life expectancy for a Thai women ! She is even older than UK life expectancy for a woman. People have to die of something, she could have also probably died of just seasonal flu !

If it ever gets to the point of keeping countries closed for the deaths of people in their eighties dying with omicron, Thailand - and the world - would really be up the creek

I think we are in the creek already

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

But instead, the news has blamed the grandson for killing his grannie.

Is this satire? Where does it say the grandson deliberately killed his gran? It doesn't even say he knew he had Covid on his return from Phuket? The news just states matter of fact how the grandmother likely caught the virus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Is this satire? Where does it say the grandson deliberately killed his gran? It doesn't even say he knew he had Covid on his return from Phuket? The news just states matter of fact how the grandmother likely caught the virus.

Yes, that's right, but it's totally wrong and completely unnecessary. Leave the grieving grandson out of the story, that's what I say. They tried the "Don't Kill Grannie and GET VACCINATED' headline in the UK. It was soon dropped for obvious reasons.

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yes, that's right, but it's totally wrong and completely unnecessary. Leave the grieving grandson out of the story, that's what I say. They tried the "Don't Kill Grannie and GET VACCINATED' headline in the UK. It was soon dropped for obvious reasons.

However if they had deliberately left that information out then people here would be questioning how a bedridden woman got covid in the first place, who visited her? Possibly coming up with all sorts of speculation. This report provided all the facts needed on that question and also shows the reality of what can happen when visitors come to see you even if you yourself are isolated due to health.

• Like 1

Hmm, proper use of vocab is important in these cases. Died "from" or died"with" Omicrom. If she died FROM she will be the first recorded case, the two previous cases were found to be "with's" not "from's". However, the Thais believe themselves to be the best at everything so I guess it's possible.

• Like 1

Anyone know how old the 'grandson' is?  If she was 86, its quite possible he was a young man and fully vaccinated. Back from working in Phuket? Pure speculation of course, but worth considering.

This omicron seems to ignore vaccination status when infecting people.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

She could have had anther decade..... 

I think the report read she was bed ridden" and had Alzheimer's. 

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

She could have had anther decade..... 

5 hours ago, Puccini said:

From the linked news article:

"...According to the timeline, the woman had a fever and productive cough..."

This is the first time I see a productive cough mentioned where the type of cough is specifically mentioned. Previously, it was always a dry cough wife all variants of the virus.

Quite . . . it would appear therefore that if an 86 year old bed-ridden person was admitted to hospital with a productive cough she may well have had bronchitis and it is likely that killed her.  The contraction of the Covids AFTER she entered hospital (claimed passed on from a visiting relative) perhaps indicates that there were no testing or barrier methods in place to prevent such occurrence.

• Like 1