Thailand’s first Omicron variant death reported in Songkhla province

webfact

19 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

A little unfair to record this as a death from Omicron, it was probably a contributing factor but the lady was not actually in peak physical condition from the description given.

Even more unfair: the second ‘victim’ of Omicron is an unvaccinated women, 84, with terminal lung cancer……..

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, maybe, maybe not - but she is also 7 years over average life expectancy for a Thai women ! She is even older than UK life expectancy for a woman. People have to die of something, she could have also probably died of just seasonal flu !

If it ever gets to the point of keeping countries closed for the deaths of people in their eighties dying with omicron, Thailand - and the world - would really be up the creek

we are up the creek

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I was being facetious (I'm a statistician)... she also could have died of alzeheimers that very week.  If you check your actuarial tables you may see tht alzheimers hs a higher mortality rate than omicron.

Seeing that you are a statistician and familiar with actuarial tables I hope you don't mind me asking you a question that has cropped in my mind while reading about average life expectancy (ALE) in this topic.

I seem to remember that for the ALE, deaths during the first two years of life are disregarded. Therefore, when an ALE of 84 years, for example, is give for a country, does this mean that a person who today is between two and three years old has this ALE of 84 years and that this is not necessarily the same ALE for older persons?

How is the ALE of an 86 year-old person calculated? Is it the average of the age of all persons who died aged 86 or older?

Edited by Puccini

I don't know what is more hilarious with some of the comments here.  That some think it's only speculation that her age and health status might have had something to with it, or that the antivaxxers are trying to jump on this as proof the vaccines don't work.  ????

17 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

Where I come from, doctors record the cause of death, and they know better than you. And even as the biggest conspiracy fairytale believer, a look at the excess deaths clearly shows that Covid deaths certainly haven’t been over- but underreported. 

Well put....

And of course a person cannot die twice so comorbidities are being used as a diversion.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:18 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Its good to read a factual report with plenty of information so we can draw our own conclusions....

It certainly seems that Covid-19 tipped the old dear over the edge into the nether..... I wonder if a regular cold or flu would not have done the same. 

Sadly, the vaccines were not enough to prevent serious infection but I continue to believe that vaccines are effective in protecting the vast majority.

Not according to this man  Two doses of Pfizer’s COVID vaccine “offers very limited protection, if any” against the Omicron variant, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said during an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” That’s a far cry from Bourla’s previous claim that the two-dose regimen was “100% effective.”