House panel to clear confusion over the legal status of cannabis in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The House Public Health Affairs committee has invited representatives of the Royal Thai Police, the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), the Ministry of Public Health and relevant agencies for a discussion this Thursday at parliament, to clear up the confusion over whether cannabis is still regarded as an illegal narcotic or is now a herbal drug which can be cultivated legally.

Best of luck with that... 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

yet some law enforcement officers still invoke the old law.

A clear comprehension problem. Not fit for duty! Sack´em!

For me there is no confusion. Cannabis is off the narcotics list! Means that you can smoke it, and only get a small fine if caught. At least that´s how I interpret the law.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

A clear comprehension problem. Not fit for duty! Sack´em!

For me there is no confusion. Cannabis is off the narcotics list! Means that you can smoke it, and only get a small fine if caught. At least that´s how I interpret the law.

Good luck ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

that the amended narcotics law, which came into effect on December 9th last year

Does it really take a genius to say, "Why don't we ask those in Parliament who drafted, read, and approved the changes?".

I follow this a bit, and my read is that the only thing that changed (9/10 Dec. 2021) is that seeds, stems, roots, leaves, and perhaps plants at less than 0.2 % THC content are now not covered by the Narcotics Act. Plants, buds/flowers over 0.2 % THC are illegal to grow, distribute, sell and consume, without government oversight.

I think this was sorted last week, but who knows?

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/crime/2285888

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=5350396894987971&ref=sharing

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/narcotics-control-board-clarifies-cannabis-laws-after-health-ministers-statements

"old" Narcotics Act  https://www.fda.moph.go.th/sites/Narcotics/en/Shared Documents/Narcotics-Act-B.E.2522.pdf

Section 7 Narcotics shall be classified into 5 categories, viz :
(1) category I consists of dangerous narcotics such as heroin;
(2)category II consists of ordinary narcotics such as morphine, cocaine, codeine, medicinal
opium; (14)
 (15)(3)category III consists of narcotics which are in the form of medicinal formula and contain
narcotics of category II as ingredients in accordance with the rules prescribed by the Minister and
published in the Government Gazette;
(4)category IV consists of chemicals used for producing narcotics of category I or category II
such as acetic anhydride, acetyl chloride ;
(5)category V consists of narcotics which are not included in category I to category IV such as
marijuana, kratom plant. (16)

I cannot find the changes gazetted last month. Maybe they just struck Cat 5? oops. No wonder the confusion. # doofuses

I think the Psychotropics Act also covers cannabis, as THC 

"psychotropic substance" means such a psychotropic substance which is natural or derived from
nature, or synthetic as the Minister notifies in the Government Gazette;

http://thailawforum.com/database1/Narcotics-Act-part1-012.html

Lists under the Notification
of the Ministry of Public Health
No. 97 (B.E. 2539)* specifying
names and categories of psychotropic
substances according to Psychotropic
Substances Act B.E. 2518 (1975)

Schedule 1
1. CATHINONE ((-)-a-Amino-propiophenone)

2. DET (N,N-Diethyltryptamine)

3. DMHP (3-(1,2 Dimethylheptyl)-1-hydroxy-7,8,9,10-tetrahydro-6,6,9
trimethyl-6H-dibenzo [b,d] pyran)

4. DMT (N,N-Dimethyltryptamine)

5. MESCALINE (3,4,5-Trimethoxyphenethylamine)

6. 4-METHYL AMINOREX ((+)-cis-2-Amino-4-methyl-5-phenyl-2-oxazoline or
(+)- cis-4,5- Dihydro-4-methyl-5-phenyl-2-oxazolamine)

7. N-ethyl MDA or MDE ((+)-N-Ethyl-a-methyl-3,4-(methylenedioxy)phenethylamine)

8. N-hydroxy MDA or N-OHMDA ((+)-N-[a-Methyl-3,4-(methylenedioxy)
phenethyl] hydroxylamine)

9. PARAHEXYL (3-Hexyl-1-hydroxy-7,8,9,10-tetrahydro-6,6,9-trimethyl-6H-dibenzo
[b,d] pyran)

10. PCE (N-ethyl-1-phenylcyclohexylamine)

11. PHP or PCPY (1-(1-Phenylcyclohexyl) pyrrolidine)

12. PSILOCINE (3-(2-Dimethylaminoethyl)-4-hydroxyindole)

13. PSILOCYBINE (3-(2-Dimethylaminoethyl)-indol-4-yl dihydrogen phosphate)

14. STP or DOM (2-amino-1-(2,5-Dimethoxy-4-methyl) phenylpropane)

15. TCP (1-[1-(2-Thienyl) cyclohexyl] piperidine)

16. TETRAHYDROCANNABI-NOL (1-Hydroxy-3-pentyl-6 a, 7,10,10 a-tetrahydro-6,6,9-trimethyl-6H-dibenzo [b,d] pyran)

Edited by mtls2005

Seems like a large hoopla about cannabis that is less than 0.2% THC levels ... worthess cr*p.

Cannabis extracts containing more than 0.2% of THC will still be illegal.

This is just meaningless jockeying for Gov officials trying to get their name in print as usual here in Thailand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

I'd love to get some of the seeds from @NorCal.seedCompany

Through some odd and ancient loophole, cannabis seeds are legal here, amazingly.

Would I try to import my own? Nope.

But many an enterprising thai have made a big business out of the "bird seed" loophole.

11 hours ago, Raphael54 said:

The problem is that we lack the "Rule of Law" in this country. 

Whether it is cannabis, hoteliers suing because they get a bad review, retired foreigners who don't have access to the same vaccines at the same time as Thais, releasing real criminals on one's own recognizance because they are senior civil servants, "Boss" Red Bull being able to escape punishment now for nearly a decade, or missing and found dead activists in Thailand itself and in neighboring countries that no prosecutor cares about.

The root of the problem is independent judiciary and pervasive corruption in every government department. 

Anutin said the other day that you can grow a plant if under 0.2% THC, but I don't know of any variety that low. I just took this of a google search for the lowest THC variety of strain :- A type of cannabis that has a minimal amount of THC, as low as 0.5 percent, is hemp, according to the North American Industrial Hemp Council. Hemp is used for industrial and medical purposes. Some strains of cannabis can have as little as 0.3 percent THC by weight.May 18, 2560 BE.. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Plants, buds/flowers over 0.2 % THC are illegal to grow, distribute, sell and consume, without government oversight.

How on earth, do you find out the plants you grow are not over 0.2% THC do they expect you to buy a testing kit and if over 0.2% destroy your plant, at 0.2% you'd have to chain smoke it all day. Pathetic laws by a pathetic government, that no sh@t about sh@t. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

How on earth, do you find out the plants you grow are not over 0.2% THC do they expect you to buy a testing kit and if over 0.2%

Any growing by the general public here must be rigorously approved and authorized before planting. And is subject to government (local/national), legal, police, scientific oversight. And you're given approved seed/seedling stock. So this threshold can be controlled, as it is throughout the worked where growing hemp is approved. Spot inspection, test, over 0.2 % THC, off to jail.

• Haha 1