Lasik in Bangkok, clinic and Dr recommendations please

rnalswls2

On 1/19/2022 at 1:52 AM, rnalswls2 said:

Do you remember what your prescriptions were? I worry if I'm refused as well since ny both eyes are pretty bad as well

Left eye +7.5 and right eye +6.5.  The price will vary very slightly from person to person but i was charged 65,000 per eye, best money i ever spent

15 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

What type of surgery did you do? ReLex, Lasik, PRK?

Relex, best $5k I've ever spent.

Unfortunately it does not last forever, especially if you don't care after your eyes as me. My vision started to worsen again after 4 years since the surgery.

So do the eye gymnastics and all other stuff recommended and don't use a computer&smartphone for 16 hours daily.

Edited by fdsa

19 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Left eye +7.5 and right eye +6.5.  The price will vary very slightly from person to person but i was charged 65,000 per eye, best money i ever spent

So then you were far-sghted, not near-sighted?

I had extreme myopia (>-10.0 diopters, legally blind without glasses). Got an excellent result from Lasik in 2000 and now, going on 22 years later, still excellent.

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I had extreme myopia (>-10.0 diopters, legally blind without glasses). Got an excellent result from Lasik in 2000 and now, going on 22 years later, still excellent.

Both my long and short sight were very poor. As i said, i was refused laser correction and that's why i opted for lens transplants.  Another advantage lens transplants have over laser is, there's a good chance that laser correction may have to be repeated in the future, whereas with transplants, if i live to be 100 (doubtful) my eyes will be as good on my 100th birthday as they are today, also i can't get cataracts later in life, a cataract can grow on your natural lens but it can't grow on a plastic lens.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:01 PM, fdsa said:

Relex, best $5k I've ever spent.

Unfortunately it does not last forever, especially if you don't care after your eyes as me. My vision started to worsen again after 4 years since the surgery.

So do the eye gymnastics and all other stuff recommended and don't use a computer&smartphone for 16 hours daily.

Have your eyes gotton worse like before the surgery or better than that? I'm almost blind! So even if I need to wear glasses again when I'? 40-50, if it's lighter one than what I wear now, I'd be happy 

(But of course, I take your advice and will try my best to avoid bad things for my eyes)

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Oh wow, very similar to mine, I'm blind as well, without glasses I don't find my glasses that's right in front of me. 

Which Dr did you go with?

4 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

Both my long and short sight were very poor. As i said, i was refused laser correction and that's why i opted for lens transplants.  Another advantage lens transplants have over laser is, there's a good chance that laser correction may have to be repeated in the future, whereas with transplants, if i live to be 100 (doubtful) my eyes will be as good on my 100th birthday as they are today, also i can't get cataracts later in life, a cataract can grow on your natural lens but it can't grow on a plastic lens.

Correct me if I'm wrong, so what you did was sp called ICL right? As far as I know the lenses inside are needed to be changed every 10 years, is that wrong?

9 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

Have your eyes gotton worse like before the surgery or better than that? I'm almost blind! So even if I need to wear glasses again when I'? 40-50, if it's lighter one than what I wear now, I'd be happy 

(But of course, I take your advice and will try my best to avoid bad things for my eyes)

Better than that, it was myopia -4 dioptries before the surgery, I haven't measured the vision recently but it feels like -1.5 D.

I believe that computer is the reason because before COVID I was often hanging outside etc and never felt anything wrong with the vision, but since 2020 I'm mostly sitting in front of the computer all the day and my vision started to noticeably decline somewhere around mid 2020 and is still getting worse.

Edited by fdsa

10 hours ago, rnalswls2 said:

Oh wow, very similar to mine, I'm blind as well, without glasses I don't find my glasses that's right in front of me. 

Which Dr did you go with?

Dr. Ekktet at TRSC

Yes, I would have to grope around through sense of touch to find my glasses to even get to the bathroom to put in my contacts. And both glasses and contacts were very, very thick. Making the glasses really unsightly (like coke bottles) and the contacts too uncomfortable to war for very long. I had no peripheral vision with glasses, either. And it was a huge  hassle using contacts when traveling, living/working in less develped countries  etc.

The surgery greatly improved my quality of life.

I was in my 40's when I had it done.

Everyone is different, age and exact nature of the vision etc will determine  what is advisable. TRSC in my experience does an excellent job of thoroughly evaluating and laying out the options and pros/cons. They gave me a very realistic explanation - in terms of statistical odds - of likely outcomes as well as risk.

In my case I was told that I had good chance of achieving 20/20 vision in one eye but not in the other. We decided to do the worst eye first - the one that they knew could not get 100% corrected - and to let vision in it stabilize then do the other eye, this enabled me to obtain "monovision" whereby  one eye is 20/20, and the other eye is about 20/30- 20/40 and my vision with both eyes open is  nearly 20/20.

It cost a few thousand baht more to do the eyes separately but it was worth it to me, both in terms of hedging bets/reducing risk (worst case scenario only one eye would be affected) and also in allowing the doctor to fine tune the results to get me the best vision taking into account both near and far sight.

The undercorrected eye has actually been a plus as it has enabled me so far to avoid the need for reading glasses - my brain automatically use=s that eye for close vision.

But mileage can and will vary.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:50 AM, rnalswls2 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, so what you did was sp called ICL right? As far as I know the lenses inside are needed to be changed every 10 years, is that wrong?

Never heard of what you are talking about. I had Intra Ocular Lens Transplants and the lenses never need to be changed

On 1/22/2022 at 1:50 AM, rnalswls2 said:

Never heard of whatever it is you are talking about. I had Intra Ocular Lens Transplants, the lenses never need to be changed